* Indexing redux
@ 2021-08-26  1:14 Rik Kabel via ntg-context
From: Rik Kabel via ntg-context @ 2021-08-26  1:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

List,

I am trying to create an index with both "see" and "see also"
cross-reference entries.[1] At this point, ConTeXt provides basic
support for "see" entries via the \seeREGISTER command (it does not
properly support references to sub-entries) and it provides no support
at all for "see also" entries.

Can somebody suggest a way to generate these entries? Perhaps a way of
inserting entries into the index before it is formatted, in the manner
of \writetolist or \writebetweenlist? (MkII has \writetoregister, but
that did not carry forward and I do not know if it would have helped here.)

I had brought this up to no response a couple of years ago.[2] I am
hopeful that LMTX may offer a chance to get support for improved
indexing, and in particular for "see" and "see also" entries.

[1] For definitions and usage of "see" entries, see
https://docs.oasis-open.org/dita/v1.1/OS/langspec/langref/index-see.html.
For "see also" entries, see
https://docs.oasis-open.org/dita/v1.1/OS/langspec/langref/index-see-also.html.
For a deeper dive, see the publicly available University of Chicago
Manual of Style version 15 guide, chapter 18, available at
https://press.uchicago.edu/Misc/Chicago/CHIIndexingComplete.pdf, or more
recent versions not yet freely available online.

[2] See "Possible seeindex enhancement" at
https://www.mail-archive.com/ntg-context@ntg.nl/msg89470.html.

--
Rik