From: Tyler Eaves <tyler@ml1.net>
Subject: Re: Classroom templates?
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2004 23:52:30 -0500	[thread overview]

On Jan 4, 2004, at 5:49 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:

> At 22:02 04/01/2004, you wrote:
>> Does anyone have any templates useful for typesetting class notes or
>> homework (For tuning in, not handing out). I'm a Comp Sci student,
>> and last semester I used LaTeX for this with a couple of templates I
>> found. Wondering if anyone had anything similar for ConTeXt. I'd be
>> happy to share the LaTeX files if anyone's interested.
>
> so what exactly is needed for typesetting class notes?
>
> Hans

No special requirements, I guess. Mainly a basic setup with readable
fonts, sane titling setup, that kind of thing. I've tried setting up my
own, but am not espeically pleased by the results. It's a hard thing to
quantify, I'll admit. A part of the problem is that I'm still learning
CoNTexT so am unfamiliar with (some) of the capabilies available.

My ideas for layout/semantics go something like this.
  Pointers on how to acheive this would be most welcome.

One file to act with all the layout commands.
One file for each class periods notes
(I'll write a little ruby or python scribt to geneate the appropriate
\inputs in the main file)

In the main file:

Table of Contents (Chapters *only*, clickable links)

In each chapter TOC: for the chapter

At end: An index of all terms that are \index'ed.

All references should be hotlinkable.

I also plan to write wrappers around things, so I can write something
like:

\formula{Fibonacci sequence}{$f(1) = 1$, $f(2) = 1$, $f(n) = f(n-1) +
f(n-2)$}

and have that generate a figure and index entry. A list of formulas as
an appendix would be REALLY slick.

I basically want have about the highest possible text/TeX ratio, since
I'm typing these notes up "in class" on my iBook, so the more that's
automated the better.

Actually, if I had the setup for something like the ConTeXt manual,
that would be a very good start.

Thanks!
Tyler Eaves