* for the brave
@ 2009-01-13 18:08 Hans Hagen
                   ` (7 more replies)
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-01-13 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

I uploaded beta zip with a prelude to the new structure related code. I
hope that I didn't forget files.

   context --make xp

will generate the experimental format (you really need a luatools
--generate because there are many new files).

With

   context --interface=xp yourfile

will use that format. Eventually the xp format will go away but this is
a nice intermediate step for those who are willing to help debugging the
code.

Those who look into the source ... it all happens in strc-*.tex|lua and
when you look in the tua/tuc file you see what is carried around (this
will be optimized). Much code still needs a rewrite.

The format file is slightly smaller and less hash space is used, in
spite of more functionality. This is a side effect of a more dynamic
inheritance model (slower, but not so much an issue noaways and
compensated by speedups in other areas like one time multipass data
reading).

For xml users: although somewhat experimental, we now have roundtrip xml
  in lists (and some other constructs, more to come).

\setuphead[chapter][expansion=xml]

This only works for mkiv xml, as we also keep track of the document root
in order to apply the right setups.

For Aditya: numbering of math is redone and soon we have to split up
strc-mat into pieces (when we start doing unicode math) but you can
already have a look at it.

Don't worry too much if your documents crash. I simply cannot test
everything so it might be a good opportunity for volunteers to help
documenting behaviour and making tests.

The main incompatibilities are in the numbering: we now use sets for
numbering, seperators, converters etc as well as processors for specific
layout of these thingies. This info is carried around so that
intermediate style changes are reflected in tables of contents and
references (of course they can be overloaded). It's the price we pay fro
more flexibility.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: for the brave
@ 2009-01-13 18:26 ` Diego Depaoli
                   ` (6 subsequent siblings)
From: Diego Depaoli @ 2009-01-13 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 7:08 PM, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I uploaded beta zip with a prelude to the new structure related code. I hope
> that I didn't forget files.
>
>  context --make xp
>
> will generate the experimental format (you really need a luatools --generate
> because there are many new files).
short question
experimental and 'old' format can coexist?

Regards

--
Diego Depaoli

* Re: for the brave
@ 2009-01-13 18:29 ` luigi scarso
                   ` (5 subsequent siblings)
From: luigi scarso @ 2009-01-13 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 7:08 PM, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I uploaded beta zip with a prelude to the new structure related code. I
> hope that I didn't forget files.
>
>  context --make xp

$>/opt/luatex/minimals-beta/tex# context --make xp
MtxRun | running command: luatools --make --compile cont-xp
LuaTools | no tex file with name: cont-xp.tex
LuaTools |
LuaTools | runtime: 0.049 seconds

MtxRun | total runtime: 0.094

:(

minimals-beta
Linux luigicasa-laptop 2.6.24-23-generic #1 SMP Thu Nov 27 18:44:42 UTC 2008
i686 GNU/Linux
This is LuaTeX, Version snapshot-0.31.3-2008122919, build unknown
ConTeXt MtxRun | current version: 2009.01.13 16:53

--
luigi

* Re: for the brave
@ 2009-01-13 18:39   ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2009-01-13 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 13.01.2009 um 19:29 schrieb luigi scarso:

> On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 7:08 PM, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I uploaded beta zip with a prelude to the new structure related
> code. I hope that I didn't forget files.
>
>  context --make xp
>
> $>/opt/luatex/minimals-beta/tex# context --make xp
> MtxRun | running command: luatools --make --compile cont-xp
> LuaTools | no tex file with name: cont-xp.tex
> LuaTools |
> LuaTools | runtime: 0.049 seconds
>
> MtxRun | total runtime: 0.094
>
> :(
>

> minimals-beta
> Linux luigicasa-laptop 2.6.24-23-generic #1 SMP Thu Nov 27 18:44:42
> UTC 2008 i686 GNU/Linux
> This is LuaTeX, Version snapshot-0.31.3-2008122919, build unknown
> ConTeXt MtxRun | current version: 2009.01.13 16:53

You need a newer ConTeXt version.

Wolfgang

* Re: for the brave
@ 2009-01-13 18:53     ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2009-01-13 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 7:39 PM, Wolfgang Schuster <
schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> wrote:

> You need a newer ConTeXt version.

Ah  -- I suppose it was already in minimals-beta

--
luigi

* Re: for the brave
@ 2009-01-13 19:03 ` Wolfgang Schuster
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2009-01-13 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 13.01.2009 um 19:08 schrieb Hans Hagen:

> Don't worry too much if your documents crash. I simply cannot test
> everything so it might be a good opportunity for volunteers to help
> documenting behaviour and making tests.

Here is the first bug in your new code.

\starttext

\startitemize[fit]
\item item
\stopitemize

\stoptext

! Undefined control sequence.
\dolistitem ...itembox }\fi \splititemtwopassdata
                                                   \currentnoflists
\ifdim \i...
\complexdoitemgroupitem ...obreak \fi \dolistitem
                                                   \relax
\ifconditional \pac...
<to be read again>
l.4 \item i
            tem

Wolfgang

* Re: for the brave
@ 2009-01-13 19:07       ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2009-01-13 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 7:53 PM, luigi scarso wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 7:39 PM, Wolfgang Schuster
> <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> wrote:
>>
>> You need a newer ConTeXt version.
>
> Ah  -- I suppose it was already in minimals-beta

Be patient. There's always some delay (ConTeXt is being synchronized
every full hour, and apparently this version has been uploaded after
19:00). You may retry now. You can always download straight from
PRAGMA.

Mojca

* Re: for the brave
@ 2009-01-13 19:14         ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2009-01-13 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 8:07 PM, Mojca Miklavec <
mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 7:53 PM, luigi scarso wrote:
> >

> > On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 7:39 PM, Wolfgang Schuster
> > <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> You need a newer ConTeXt version.
> >
> > Ah  -- I suppose it was already in minimals-beta
>
> Be patient. There's always some delay (ConTeXt is being synchronized
> every full hour, and apparently this version has been uploaded after
> 19:00). You may retry now. You can always download straight from
> PRAGMA.

no problem --I  just read what I want to read , not what it  was written .
Already update from  pragma .

--
luigi

* Re: for the brave
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-01-13 19:26 ` Wolfgang Schuster
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2009-01-13 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 13.01.2009 um 19:08 schrieb Hans Hagen:

> Those who look into the source ... it all happens in strc-*.tex|lua
> and when you look in the tua/tuc file you see what is carried around
> (this will be optimized). Much code still needs a rewrite.

References to items did not work with the new code.

\starttext

\startitemize[n]
\item[one] first item
\item[two] second item
\stopitemize

see \in{item}[one] and \in{item}[two]

\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: for the brave
@ 2009-01-13 19:27   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-01-13 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Diego Depaoli wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 7:08 PM, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I uploaded beta zip with a prelude to the new structure related code. I hope
>> that I didn't forget files.
>>
>>  context --make xp
>>
>> will generate the experimental format (you really need a luatools --generate
>> because there are many new files).
> short question
> experimental and 'old' format can coexist?

sure, it's cont-xp (only mkiv), not cont-en (mkii and mkiv)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: for the brave
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-01-13 19:38 ` Wolfgang Schuster
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2009-01-13 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 13.01.2009 um 19:08 schrieb Hans Hagen:

> Hi,
>
> I uploaded beta zip with a prelude to the new structure related
> code. I hope that I didn't forget files.

The new code rotates text by a wrong value.

\starttext
\framed[orientation=90]{text}
\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: for the brave
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-01-13 20:46 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2009-01-13 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 13.01.2009 um 19:08 schrieb Hans Hagen:

> The main incompatibilities are in the numbering: we now use sets for
> numbering, seperators, converters etc as well as processors for
> specific layout of these thingies. This info is carried around so
> that intermediate style changes are reflected in tables of contents
> and references (of course they can be overloaded). It's the price we
> pay fro more flexibility.

The numbering of subpages did not work correct.

\setupheadertexts[\subpagenumber\ -- \nofsubpages]

\setupsubpagenumber[way=bytext,state=start]

\starttext

\dorecurse{10}{\input knuth\par}

\page

\resetsubpagenumber

\dorecurse{14}{\input knuth\par}

\stoptext

I miss also the function to use the subpagenumber value in number
tests like \ifnum and \ifodd. The following example worked with the
old numbering mechanism but not with the new.

\setupheadertexts[\ifnum\subpagenumber=\plusone\else\subpagenumber\fi]

\setupsubpagenumber[way=bytext,state=start]

\starttext

\dorecurse{10}{\input knuth\par}

\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: for the brave
                   ` (5 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-01-22  4:03 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2009-01-22  4:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 13 Jan 2009, Hans Hagen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I uploaded beta zip with a prelude to the new structure related code. I hope
> that I didn't forget files.

Some bugs:

\section Section Title \par

is no longer supported.

\setupsectionblock is not defined.

There is also some problem with the bib module. I will post a minimal
example soon.

Aditya

* Re: for the brave
@ 2009-01-22 13:19   ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2009-01-22 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 22.01.2009 um 05:03 schrieb Aditya Mahajan:

> \setupsectionblock is not defined.

Use \setupstructureblock.

Wolfgang

* Re: for the brave
                   ` (6 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-01-28  2:22 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2009-01-28  2:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 13 Jan 2009, Hans Hagen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I uploaded beta zip with a prelude to the new structure related code. I hope
> that I didn't forget files.
>
>  context --make xp
>
> will generate the experimental format (you really need a luatools --generate
> because there are many new files).
>
> With
>
>  context --interface=xp yourfile
>
> will use that format. Eventually the xp format will go away but this is a
> nice intermediate step for those who are willing to help debugging the code.

How do I use the new separator code? Using the hint in strc-sec I tried

\let\spr\separatorlist % this will enable this feature

\setuphead[section]   [separator={?,!,*}]
\setuphead[subsection][separator={??,!!,**}]

\starttext

\chapter{test}
\section{test} \subsection{test} \subsection{test}
\section{test} \subsection{test} \subsection{test}

\stoptext

I get the default separators. I do not see where
\separatorlist is defined.

Also, it is possible to use different separators in heads and when they
are referenced. Specifically, I am trying to achieve IEEE formatting
guidelines which state

In the head only show the current number

Section I.
Subsection B.
Subsubsection 3)
paragraph a)

While refereing to a section, use

Section I
Subsection I-A
subsubsection I-A.1
paragraph I-A.1.a

Can the current implementation of separator sets achieve this?

Aditya