* new lucida font
@ 2012-03-19  8:38 Meer, H. van der
From: Meer, H. van der @ 2012-03-19  8:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ConTeXt NTG

I just bought the new Lucida font from TUG and installed it in my local texmf under fonts/opentype/bh/lucidaot/
Then I did:
  mtxrun --generate
  mtxrun --script font --reload
to be sure the new install will be picked up by ConTeXt mkiv.

I think I did read somewhere that mkiv will prefer otf above pfb files, if these otfs are present.
However, after running \setupbodyfont[lucida,10pt] the log shows the old pfb's used:
</Users/hans/TeX/texmf/fonts/type1/yandy/lucida/lbr.pfb> instead of an otf?

What could have happended? What am I doing wrong?

By the way I do not see the lucida math fonts in the package. Are these missing?

Hans van der Meer

* Re: new lucida font
@ 2012-03-19  9:01 ` Wolfgang Schuster
       [not found]   ` <8351EB84-7C4D-4666-ADD2-27AEDA168765@uva.nl>
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2012-03-19  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 19.03.2012 um 09:38 schrieb Meer, H. van der:

> I just bought the new Lucida font from TUG and installed it in my local texmf under fonts/opentype/bh/lucidaot/
> Then I did:
>   mtxrun --generate
>   mtxrun --script font --reload
> to be sure the new install will be picked up by ConTeXt mkiv.
>
> I think I did read somewhere that mkiv will prefer otf above pfb files, if these otfs are present.

It’s the users decision which font should be chosen because each font has a unique
name and when you want a automatic replacement (like for latin modern and computer
modern in mkii) you have to tell this the system.

> However, after running \setupbodyfont[lucida,10pt] the log shows the old pfb's used:
> </Users/hans/TeX/texmf/fonts/type1/yandy/lucida/lbr.pfb> instead of an otf?
>
> What could have happended? What am I doing wrong?
>
> By the way I do not see the lucida math fonts in the package. Are these missing?

The new version of the lucida fonts use different names for the typescript, we have now:

- “lucida” for the old type1 version,
- “lucidaot” for the new opentype version and
- “lucidanova” as alternative name for the opentype version.

Wolfgang

* Re: new lucida font
       [not found]   ` <8351EB84-7C4D-4666-ADD2-27AEDA168765@uva.nl>
@ 2012-03-19  9:48     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2012-03-19  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 19.03.2012 um 10:38 schrieb Meer, H. van der:

> Wolfgang, thanks.
>
> I didn't know about the new identifier lucidaot. The TUG documentation seems not to mention its use for ConTeXt. The otf now loads.

The sample document for the new fonts was typeset with LaTeX and Hans missed the new typescript/typeface names in his announcement.

Wolfgang

* Re: new lucida font
       [not found]   ` <8351EB84-7C4D-4666-ADD2-27AEDA168765@uva.nl>
@ 2012-03-19 10:12   ` Meer, H. van der
From: Meer, H. van der @ 2012-03-19 10:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 19 mrt. 2012, at 10:01, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

The new version of the lucida fonts use different names for the typescript, we have now:

- “lucida” for the old type1 version,
- “lucidaot” for the new opentype version and
- “lucidanova” as alternative name for the opentype version.

The "lucidaot" works. But I have observed the following, which might be caused by a naming difference. I am using ConTexT version 2012.03.13 21:26 MKIV; the latest I can download.

The example is:
\setuppapersize[A5][A5]
\setuppagenumbering[state=off]
\setupbodyfont[lucidaot,sans,10pt]
\starttext
sans {\it sans italic}.
\stoptext

But "sans italic" is not typeset in italic, see the output pdf below.
In the log I see a message about a missing lucidanova.lfg. Present in a more recent beta perhaps
In the opentype font list I do not find LucidaSansOT-Oblique but I do see LucidaSansOT-Italic.

Could it be something should be changed in a typescript?

Hans van der Meer

In the log:
ConTeXt  ver: 2012.03.13 21:26 MKIV  fmt: 2012.3.19  int: english/english

system          > cont-new.mkiv loaded
(/Users/hans/TeX/context-new/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/cont-new.mkiv
system          > beware: some patches loaded from cont-new.mkiv
)
system          > test.top loaded
(test.top)
fonts           > latin modern fonts are not preloaded
languages       > language en is active
fonts           > typescripts > unknown: library 'loc'
(/Users/hans/TeX/context-new/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/type-imp-lucida-opentype.mkiv)
fonts           > goodies > goodie file 'lucidanova-math.lfg' is not found
{/Users/hans/TeX/context-new/tex/texmf-context/fonts/map/pdftex/context/mkiv-base.map}
fonts           > defining > forced type otf of LucidaSansOT-Oblique not found
fonts           > defining > font with asked name 'LucidaSansOT-Oblique' is not found using lookup 'file'
fonts           > defining > unknown font LucidaSansOT-Oblique, loading aborted
fonts           > defining > unable to define LucidaSansOT-Oblique.otf as [lucidaot-10pt-ss-it-0--0]
backend         > xmp > using file '/Users/hans/TeX/context-new/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/lpdf-pdx.xml'
pages           > flushing realpage 1, userpage 1, subpage 1
 )</Users/hans/TeX/texmf/fonts/opentype/bh/lucidaot/LucidaSansOT.otf>

[-- Attachment #2: test.pdf --]

* Re: new lucida font
@ 2012-03-19 10:36     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2012-03-19 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 19.03.2012 um 11:12 schrieb Meer, H. van der:

> On 19 mrt. 2012, at 10:01, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>
>> The new version of the lucida fonts use different names for the typescript, we have now:
>>
>> - “lucida” for the old type1 version,
>> - “lucidaot” for the new opentype version and
>> - “lucidanova” as alternative name for the opentype version.
>
> The "lucidaot" works. But I have observed the following, which might be caused by a naming difference. I am using ConTexT version 2012.03.13 21:26 MKIV; the latest I can download.
>
> The example is:
> \setuppapersize[A5][A5]
> \setuppagenumbering[state=off]

It’s “state=stop” and works here only because context checks only the “state=start” case.

> \setupbodyfont[lucidaot,sans,10pt]
> \starttext
> sans {\it sans italic}.
> \stoptext
>
> But "sans italic" is not typeset in italic, see the output pdf below.
> In the log I see a message about a missing lucidanova.lfg. Present in a more recent beta perhaps
> In the opentype font list I do not find LucidaSansOT-Oblique but I do see LucidaSansOT-Italic.
>
> Could it be something should be changed in a typescript?

Can you try to attached typescript file, I replaced the files for italic and bolditalic fonts for the sans style with the names from the latex example document. The slanted and boldslanted alternatives for the sans style are also fixed.

Wolfgang

[-- Attachment #1.2.1: Type: text/html, Size: 3256 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #1.2.2: type-imp-lucida-opentype.mkiv --]

%D \module
%D   [       file=type-lucida-opentype,
%D        version=2011.05.18,
%D          title=\CONTEXT\ Typescript Macros,
%D       subtitle=Lucida Nova Opentype,
%D         author=Hans Hagen,
%D           date=\currentdate,
%D      copyright={PRAGMA ADE \& \CONTEXT\ Development Team}]
%C
%C This module is part of the \CONTEXT\ macro||package and is
%C therefore copyrighted by \PRAGMA. See mreadme.pdf for
%C details.

% NOTA BENE: class feattures and goodies get expanded!

\starttypescriptcollection[lucida-opentype]

    \starttypescript [lucidanova,lucidaot,otlucida]
        \loadfontgoodies[lucida-opentype-math]
        \definetypeface [\typescriptone] [\s!rm] [\s!serif] [\typescriptone] [\s!default] [\s!features=\s!default]
        \definetypeface [\typescriptone] [\s!ss] [\s!sans]  [\typescriptone] [\s!default] [\s!features=\s!default]
        \definetypeface [\typescriptone] [\s!tt] [\s!mono]  [\typescriptone] [\s!default] [\s!features=\s!none]
        \definetypeface [\typescriptone] [\s!mm] [\s!math]  [\typescriptone] [\s!default]
        % for the moment here:
        \setupmathrendering[\typescriptone][\s!it=\s!italic]
        \quittypescriptscanning
    \stoptypescript

    \starttypescript [\s!serif] [lucidanova,lucidaot,otlucida]
        \definefontsynonym [\s!Serif]            [\s!file:LucidaBrightOT.otf]
        \definefontsynonym [\s!SerifBold]        [\s!file:LucidaBrightOT-Demi.otf]
        \definefontsynonym [\s!SerifItalic]      [\s!file:LucidaBrightOT-Italic.otf]
        \definefontsynonym [\s!SerifBoldItalic]  [\s!file:LucidaBrightOT-DemiItalic.otf]
        \definefontsynonym [\s!SerifSlanted]     [\s!SerifItalic]
        \definefontsynonym [\s!SerifBoldSlanted] [\s!SerifBoldItalic]
    \stoptypescript

    \starttypescript [\s!sans] [lucidanova,lucidaot,otlucida]
        \definefontsynonym [\s!Sans]            [\s!file:LucidaSansOT.otf]
        \definefontsynonym [\s!SansBold]        [\s!file:LucidaSansOT-Demi.otf]
        \definefontsynonym [\s!SansItalic]      [\s!file:LucidaSansOT-Italic.otf]
        \definefontsynonym [\s!SansBoldItalic]  [\s!file:LucidaSansOT-DemiItalic.otf]
        \definefontsynonym [\s!SansSlanted]     [\s!SansItalic]
        \definefontsynonym [\s!SansBoldSlanted] [\s!SansBoldItalic]
    \stoptypescript

    \starttypescript [\s!mono] [lucidanova,lucidaot,otlucida]
        \definefontsynonym [\s!Mono]            [\s!file:LucidaSansTypewriterOT.otf]
        \definefontsynonym [\s!MonoBold]        [\s!file:LucidaSansTypewriterOT-Bold.otf]
        \definefontsynonym [\s!MonoItalic]      [\s!file:LucidaSansTypewriterOT-Oblique.otf]
        \definefontsynonym [\s!MonoBoldItalic]  [\s!file:LucidaSansTypewriterOT-BoldOblique.otf]
        \definefontsynonym [\s!MonoSlanted]     [\s!MonoItalic]
        \definefontsynonym [\s!MonoBoldSlanted] [\s!MonoBoldItalic]
    \stoptypescript

    \starttypescript [\s!math] [lucidanova,lucidaot,otlucida]
        \definefontsynonym [\s!MathRoman]     [\s!file:LucidaBrightMathOT.otf]      [\s!features=\s!math\mathsizesuffix,\s!goodies=lucidanova-math]
        \definefontsynonym [\s!MathRomanBold] [\s!file:LucidaBrightMathOT-Demi.otf] [\s!features=\s!math\mathsizesuffix,\s!goodies=lucidanova-math]
    \stoptypescript

    \starttypescript [handwriting] [lucidanova,lucidaot,otlucida]
        \definefontsynonym [\s!Handwriting] [\s!file:LucidaHandwritingOT]
        \definefontsynonym [\s!Serif]       [\s!Handwriting]
    \stoptypescript

\stoptypescriptcollection

\endinput

\starttext

    \setupbodyfont[lucidanova]

%   \showfont[Serif][all]
%   \showfont[MathRoman][all]

    \usemodule[fnt-31]

    \startluacode
        fonts.tracers.coverage {
            "LucidaMathOT.otf",
            "LucidaBrightOT.otf",
            "LucidaSansOT-Typewriter.otf",
        }
    \stopluacode

\stoptext

[-- Attachment #1.2.3: Type: text/html, Size: 136 bytes --]

* Re: new lucida font
@ 2012-03-24  0:58       ` Renaud AUBIN
From: Renaud AUBIN @ 2012-03-24  0:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Le 19/03/2012 11:36, Wolfgang Schuster a écrit :
> Can you try to attached typescript file, I replaced the files for italic and
> bolditalic fonts for the sans style with the names from the latex example
> document. The slanted and boldslanted alternatives for the sans style are also
> fixed.
>
> Wolfgang

+Small Caps support:
38,42d37
<     \starttypescript [\s!serif] [lucidanova,lucidaot,otlucida]
<         \definefontsynonym [\s!SerifCaps]        [\s!Serif]
[\s!features=smallcaps]
<         %definefontsynonym [\s!SerifBoldCaps]    [\s!SerifBold]
[\s!features=smallcaps]
<     \stoptypescript
<

The SerifBoldCaps line is commented out since I get an error at
processing… and can't figure why…

Renaud

* Re: new lucida font
@ 2012-03-24 12:04         ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2012-03-24 12:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 24.03.2012 um 01:58 schrieb Renaud AUBIN:

> Le 19/03/2012 11:36, Wolfgang Schuster a écrit :
>> Can you try to attached typescript file, I replaced the files for italic and
>> bolditalic fonts for the sans style with the names from the latex example
>> document. The slanted and boldslanted alternatives for the sans style are also
>> fixed.
>>
>> Wolfgang
>>
> +Small Caps support:
> 38,42d37
> <     \starttypescript [\s!serif] [lucidanova,lucidaot,otlucida]
> <         \definefontsynonym [\s!SerifCaps]        [\s!Serif]
> [\s!features=smallcaps]
> <         %definefontsynonym [\s!SerifBoldCaps]    [\s!SerifBold]
> [\s!features=smallcaps]
> <     \stoptypescript
> <
>
> The SerifBoldCaps line is commented out since I get an error at
> processing… and can't figure why…

For smallcaps you can use the following command in your document:

\unexpanded\def\sc{\setff{smallcaps}}

With this you can get also smallcaps for the bold or italic style while with
the definition in the typescript (as in your patch) smallcaps are a font
switch and you can only get smallcaps for the regular style.

Bold doesn’t work because the typescript use a wrong name for the files
and Hans hasn’t released a new beta yet with the correct names.

Wolfgang