* Setting `before` option of chapter breaks header text
@ 2013-09-03 14:02 Michael Scholtz
From: Michael Scholtz @ 2013-09-03 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

If chapter titles are styled using the `before` option, the header texts on each first page of the documents (body|back|appendix)part are incorrect, because chapter name and number are empty.
(Tested with ConTeXt version 2013.05.28 00:36 and 2013.09.03 10:22)

Is this a bug? (If not, is there any other way to set `before` without breaking the headers?)

Here an example:

    \setuphead[chapter][
        before=\hairline\blank,  %<<< headers work, if this line is removed
        after=\nowhitespace\hairline,
    ]

    \setuppagenumbering[location=]  % clear page numbers

    \startsectionblockenvironment[frontpart]
        \setupheadertexts[chapter][pagenumber]
    \stopsectionblockenvironment

    \startsectionblockenvironment[bodypart]
        \setupheadertexts[{Chapter \getmarking[chapternumber]: \getmarking[chapter]}][pagenumber]
    \stopsectionblockenvironment

    \startsectionblockenvironment[backpart]
        \setupheadertexts[chapter][pagenumber]
    \stopsectionblockenvironment

    \startsectionblockenvironment[appendix]
        \setupheadertexts[{Appendix \getmarking[chapternumber]: \getmarking[chapter]}][pagenumber]
    \stopsectionblockenvironment

    \starttext
        \startfrontmatter
            \chapter{Front One}
            Here the header is correct.
            \chapter{Front Two}
        \stopfrontmatter

        \startbodymatter
            \chapter{Body One}
            Incorrect header on this page.
            \page[yes]
            Here the header is correct.
            \chapter{Body Two}
        \stopbodymatter

        \startbackmatter
            \chapter{Back One}
            Incorrect (none) header on this page.
            \chapter{Back Two}
        \stopbackmatter

        \startappendices
            \chapter{Appedix One}
            Incorrect header on this page.
            \chapter{Appedix Two}
        \stopappendices
    \stoptext

Regards,
Michael

* Re: Setting `before` option of chapter breaks header text
@ 2013-09-03 14:13 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2013-09-03 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 03.09.2013 um 16:02 schrieb Michael Scholtz <scmicha@gmail.com>:

> If chapter titles are styled using the `before` option, the header texts on each first page of the documents (body|back|appendix)part are incorrect, because chapter name and number are empty.
> (Tested with ConTeXt version 2013.05.28 00:36 and 2013.09.03 10:22)
>
> Is this a bug? (If not, is there any other way to set `before` without breaking the headers?)

It’s the wrong method to add rules at the begin/end of a heading.

A better way to add rules is to put a frame around the text.

\defineframedtext
  [ChapterFrame]
  [frame=off,
   width=\textwidth,
   topframe=on,
   bottomframe=on,
   offset=0pt,
   toffset=1ex,
   boffset=1ex]

\setuphead
  [chapter]
  [before=\startChapterFrame,
   after=\stopChapterFrame]

Wolfgang

* Re: Setting `before` option of chapter breaks header text
@ 2013-09-03 14:32   ` Michael Scholtz
From: Michael Scholtz @ 2013-09-03 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 03.09.2013, at 16:13, Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@gmail.com> wrote:

> Am 03.09.2013 um 16:02 schrieb Michael Scholtz <scmicha@gmail.com>:
>
>> If chapter titles are styled using the `before` option, the header texts on each first page of the documents (body|back|appendix)part are incorrect, because chapter name and number are empty.
>> (Tested with ConTeXt version 2013.05.28 00:36 and 2013.09.03 10:22)
>>
>> Is this a bug? (If not, is there any other way to set `before` without breaking the headers?)
>
> It’s the wrong method to add rules at the begin/end of a heading.
>
> A better way to add rules is to put a frame around the text.
>
> \defineframedtext
>  [ChapterFrame]
>  [frame=off,
>   width=\textwidth,
>   topframe=on,
>   bottomframe=on,
>   offset=0pt,
>   toffset=1ex,
>   boffset=1ex]
>
> \setuphead
>  [chapter]
>  [before=\startChapterFrame,
>   after=\stopChapterFrame]
>
> Wolfgang

Thanks, I got this from the wiki page: http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Titles#Your_Own_Titling_Levels
...but it seems to be wrong there.

I used `before` (probably in the wrong way ;-) ) to add more space above each chapter title.
How to do this without `before`?

@ 2013-09-03 15:54     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2013-09-03 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 03.09.2013 um 16:32 schrieb Michael Scholtz <scmicha@gmail.com>:

> On 03.09.2013, at 16:13, Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Am 03.09.2013 um 16:02 schrieb Michael Scholtz <scmicha@gmail.com>:
>>
>>> If chapter titles are styled using the `before` option, the header texts on each first page of the documents (body|back|appendix)part are incorrect, because chapter name and number are empty.
>>> (Tested with ConTeXt version 2013.05.28 00:36 and 2013.09.03 10:22)
>>>
>>> Is this a bug? (If not, is there any other way to set `before` without breaking the headers?)
>>
>> It’s the wrong method to add rules at the begin/end of a heading.
>>
>> A better way to add rules is to put a frame around the text.
>>
>> \defineframedtext
>> [ChapterFrame]
>> [frame=off,
>>  width=\textwidth,
>>  topframe=on,
>>  bottomframe=on,
>>  offset=0pt,
>>  toffset=1ex,
>>  boffset=1ex]
>>
>> \setuphead
>> [chapter]
>> [before=\startChapterFrame,
>>  after=\stopChapterFrame]
>>
>> Wolfgang
>

> Thanks, I got this from the wiki page: http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Titles#Your_Own_Titling_Levels
> ...but it seems to be wrong there.

It’s a solution which works but also with side effects because allow TeX to break
the page between the rule and the heading which isn’t the case with framedtext
where the whole block is unbreakable.

> I used `before` (probably in the wrong way ;-) ) to add more space above each chapter title.
> How to do this without `before`?

Controlling the space before and after the heading is the default way in which the before/after
keys are used. There has been a few suggestions to add a spacebefore key to \setuphead which
will replace "before=\blank" for this but this hasn’t happened so far.

In the example above you can now set the spaces before and after the heading in the framedtext
setup with "before={\blank[2cm]}" and "after=\blank".

Wolfgang

* Re: Setting `before` option of chapter breaks header text
@ 2013-09-03 18:22       ` Michael Scholtz
From: Michael Scholtz @ 2013-09-03 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 03.09.2013, at 17:54, Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@gmail.com> wrote:

> Am 03.09.2013 um 16:32 schrieb Michael Scholtz <scmicha@gmail.com>:

>>> It’s the wrong method to add rules at the begin/end of a heading.
>>>
>>> A better way to add rules is to put a frame around the text.
>>>
>>> \defineframedtext
>>> [ChapterFrame]
>>> [frame=off,
>>> width=\textwidth,
>>> topframe=on,
>>> bottomframe=on,
>>> offset=0pt,
>>> toffset=1ex,
>>> boffset=1ex]
>>>
>>> \setuphead
>>> [chapter]
>>> [before=\startChapterFrame,
>>> after=\stopChapterFrame]
>>>
>>> Wolfgang
>>

>> Thanks, I got this from the wiki page: http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Titles#Your_Own_Titling_Levels
>> ...but it seems to be wrong there.
>
> It’s a solution which works but also with side effects because allow TeX to break
> the page between the rule and the heading which isn’t the case with framedtext
> where the whole block is unbreakable.
>
>> I used `before` (probably in the wrong way ;-) ) to add more space above each chapter title.
>> How to do this without `before`?
>
> Controlling the space before and after the heading is the default way in which the before/after
> keys are used. There has been a few suggestions to add a spacebefore key to \setuphead which
> will replace "before=\blank" for this but this hasn’t happened so far.
>
> In the example above you can now set the spaces before and after the heading in the framedtext
> setup with "before={\blank[2cm]}" and "after=\blank".
>
> Wolfgang

Thanks for the hints.
I tried `\blank` commands in `before`, but it seems to have to effect. A space before `\blank` (like `before={\ \blank[5em]}`) makes it work, but is not so nice.

But using `toffset` and `boffset` does the job, even without `\blank`s:

    \defineframedtext[ChapterFrame][
        frame=off,
        width=\textwidth,
        offset=0pt,
        toffset=5em,
        boffset=2em,
    ]

    \setuphead[chapter][
        before=\startChapterFrame,
        after=\stopChapterFrame,
    ]

@ 2013-09-03 18:32         ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2013-09-03 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 03.09.2013 um 20:22 schrieb Michael Scholtz <scmicha@gmail.com>:

> I tried `\blank` commands in `before`, but it seems to have to effect. A space before `\blank` (like `before={\ \blank[5em]}`) makes it work, but is not so nice.

TeX ignores a \blank at the begin of a page, to force the space you can “before=\blank[force,<value>]”.

> But using `toffset` and `boffset` does the job, even without `\blank`s:

This is wrong because the toffset and buffet control the margins *in* the boy and not around the box.

Wolfgang

* Re: Setting `before` option of chapter breaks header text
@ 2013-09-03 18:50           ` Michael Scholtz
From: Michael Scholtz @ 2013-09-03 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 03.09.2013, at 20:32, Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@gmail.com> wrote:

> Am 03.09.2013 um 20:22 schrieb Michael Scholtz <scmicha@gmail.com>:
>
>> I tried `\blank` commands in `before`, but it seems to have to effect. A space before `\blank` (like `before={\ \blank[5em]}`) makes it work, but is not so nice.
>
> TeX ignores a \blank at the begin of a page, to force the space you can “before=\blank[force,<value>]”.
>
>> But using `toffset` and `boffset` does the job, even without `\blank`s:
>
> This is wrong because the toffset and buffet control the margins *in* the boy and not around the box.

Thanks again, with `force` option everything works fine.

@ 2014-01-14 21:59           ` john Culleton
From: john Culleton @ 2014-01-14 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Tue, 3 Sep 2013 20:32:30 +0200
wrote:

> Am 03.09.2013 um 20:22 schrieb Michael Scholtz
> <scmicha@gmail.com>:
>
> > I tried `\blank` commands in `before`, but it
> > seems to have to effect. A space before
> > `\blank` (like `before={\ \blank[5em]}`)
> > makes it work, but is not so nice.
>
> TeX ignores a \blank at the begin of a page, to
> force the space you can
> “before=\blank[force,<value>]”.
>
> > But using `toffset` and `boffset` does the
> > job, even without `\blank`s:
>
> This is wrong because the toffset and buffet
> control the margins *in* the boy and not around
> the box.
>
> Wolfgang
> If your question is of interest to others as
> well, please add an entry to the Wiki!

If the before option is just for space then how
do I place a fleuron centered above the chapter
title? That is what the customer wants.

--
John Culleton
Wexford Press

* Re: Setting `before` option of chapter breaks header text
@ 2014-01-15  9:10             ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2014-01-15  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 1/14/2014 10:59 PM, john Culleton wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Sep 2013 20:32:30 +0200
> Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> Am 03.09.2013 um 20:22 schrieb Michael Scholtz
>> <scmicha@gmail.com>:
>>
>>> I tried `\blank` commands in `before`, but it
>>> seems to have to effect. A space before
>>> `\blank` (like `before={\ \blank[5em]}`)
>>> makes it work, but is not so nice.
>>
>> TeX ignores a \blank at the begin of a page, to
>> force the space you can
>> “before=\blank[force,<value>]”.
>>
>>> But using `toffset` and `boffset` does the
>>> job, even without `\blank`s:
>>
>> This is wrong because the toffset and buffet
>> control the margins *in* the boy and not around
>> the box.
>>
>> Wolfgang
>> If your question is of interest to others as
>> well, please add an entry to the Wiki!
>>

> If the before option is just for space then how
> do I place a fleuron centered above the chapter
> title? That is what the customer wants.

before={\page\fleuron\blank}

or so, assuming \fleuron exists

or otherwise a command hooked into the title renderer

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2014-01-15 19:42             ` john Culleton
From: john Culleton @ 2014-01-15 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Tue, 14 Jan 2014 16:59:32 -0500
john Culleton <John@wexfordpress.com> wrote:

> If the before option is just for space then how
> do I place a fleuron centered above the chapter
> title? That is what the customer wants.

Answered my own question. It seems that
"before" can be used for more than just spacing.
Here is the pertinent code from my files:
\useexternalfigure[heart][heart.svg][width=1.5in]
\def\fleuron{\centerline{\hbox{\externalfigure[heart]}}}

\setuphead[chapter]
[header=high,footer=chapter,page=right,
alternative=middle,
align=normal,