* educational dtd? (and presentations)
@ 2002-09-29 19:42 Bruce D'Arcus
From: Bruce D'Arcus @ 2002-09-29 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Looking around the ConTeXt website I came across mention of an
"educational dtd" in development.  What is this (for exams?
textbooks?), and when will it be available?

Also, I currently use PowerPoint for teaching but might be interested
in moving presentations to ConTeXt.  How would I do something like the
progressive disclosure thing in PP in ConTeXt (don't remember what it's
called exactly, but when you click and the first bullet point is
displayed, click again and the next one is displayed, etc., etc.; it's
essentially a kind of transition)?

--
Bruce

* Re: educational dtd? (and presentations)
@ 2002-09-29 22:20 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-09-29 22:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 03:42 PM 9/29/2002 -0400, you wrote:

>Looking around the ConTeXt website I came across mention of an
>"educational dtd" in development.  What is this (for exams? textbooks?),
>and when will it be available?

for the moment it's mainly examns [i will clean up the dtd's soon]; the
other things are under construction [we are currently doing a couple of
projects that need both of them, and the idea is that context will provide
at least the frameworks in the distribution]; also, i'm extending figure
bases to resource libraries + tools.

>Also, I currently use PowerPoint for teaching but might be interested in
>moving presentations to ConTeXt.  How would I do something like the
>progressive disclosure thing in PP in ConTeXt (don't remember what it's
>called exactly, but when you click and the first bullet point is
>displayed, click again and the next one is displayed, etc., etc.; it's
>essentially a kind of transition)?

[actually, i do have a simple xml interface to presentations, will
finish/document that some day]

there is indeed a mechanism for that, but not perfect; also, the PP way of
doing things is too fuzzy with regards to spacing

i recently played with a new mechanism in context, called collectors; i'll
see if i can find time to post an example since this is the best way to go

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: educational dtd? (and presentations)
@ 2002-09-30  3:37   ` Bruce D'Arcus
From: Bruce D'Arcus @ 2002-09-30  3:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

On Sunday, September 29, 2002, at 06:20 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
>> Also, I currently use PowerPoint for teaching but might be interested
>> in moving presentations to ConTeXt.  How would I do something like
>> the progressive disclosure thing in PP in ConTeXt (don't remember
>> what it's called exactly, but when you click and the first bullet
>> point is displayed, click again and the next one is displayed, etc.,
>> etc.; it's essentially a kind of transition)?
>
> [actually, i do have a simple xml interface to presentations, will
> finish/document that some day]
>
> there is indeed a mechanism for that, but not perfect; also, the PP
> way of doing things is too fuzzy with regards to spacing

Just curious, but what do you mean by this (the "fuzzy" comment)?

> i recently played with a new mechanism in context, called collectors;
> i'll see if i can find time to post an example since this is the best
> way to go

Great; I'll look for it.

--

@ 2002-10-01  7:06     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-10-01  7:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 11:37 PM 9/29/2002 -0400, Bruce D'Arcus wrote:

>>there is indeed a mechanism for that, but not perfect; also, the PP way
>>of doing things is too fuzzy with regards to spacing
>
>Just curious, but what do you mean by this (the "fuzzy" comment)?

whenever i see a tex-pp presentation i notice spurious vertical/horizontal
spacing which is a result of adding those special points of action