* autopdf on MacOS?
@ 2021-04-15  8:26 Hans van der Meer
From: Hans van der Meer @ 2021-04-15  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: NTG ConTeXt

When running the command: context --autopdf --run myfile.tex I had hoped the pdfviewer Preview on my MacOS system (version Catalina) would open the pdf for viewing. Allthough a new pdf is created, this is not opened. If the pdf is open in Preview already, it is not updated unless switching to the Preview application.

It something wrong here? Is it not functional in MacOS? Am I missing some clue?

met vriendelijke groet
dr. Hans van der Meer

* Re: autopdf on MacOS?
@ 2021-04-15  9:45 ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2021-04-15  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Am 15.04.2021 um 10:26 schrieb Hans van der Meer <havdmeer@ziggo.nl>:
>
> When running the command: context --autopdf --run myfile.tex I had hoped the pdfviewer Preview on my MacOS system (version Catalina) would open the pdf for viewing.

It works with --autopdf=auto

> Allthough a new pdf is created, this is not opened. If the pdf is open in Preview already, it is not updated unless switching to the Preview application.
>
> It something wrong here? Is it not functional in MacOS? Am I missing some clue?

Apple’s Preview updates only on activation, and not reliably (for me, it often crashes).

That it doesn’t update in the background is more a feature than a bug, otherwise it would complain about broken/unavailable files during the TeX runs.

Hraban

* Re: autopdf on MacOS?
@ 2021-04-15 10:00   ` Hans van der Meer
From: Hans van der Meer @ 2021-04-15 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: NTG ConTeXt

Thanks. At least worked twice 😊

met vriendelijke groet
dr. Hans van der Meer

> On 15 Apr 2021, at 11:45, Henning Hraban Ramm <texml@fiee.net> wrote:
>

>> Am 15.04.2021 um 10:26 schrieb Hans van der Meer <havdmeer@ziggo.nl>:
>>
>> When running the command: context --autopdf --run myfile.tex I had hoped the pdfviewer Preview on my MacOS system (version Catalina) would open the pdf for viewing.
>
> It works with --autopdf=auto
>
>> Allthough a new pdf is created, this is not opened. If the pdf is open in Preview already, it is not updated unless switching to the Preview application.
>>
>> It something wrong here? Is it not functional in MacOS? Am I missing some clue?
>
> Apple’s Preview updates only on activation, and not reliably (for me, it often crashes).
>
> That it doesn’t update in the background is more a feature than a bug, otherwise it would complain about broken/unavailable files during the TeX runs.
>
> Hraban

* Re: autopdf on MacOS?
@ 2021-04-16  8:26   ` Hans Åberg
From: Hans Åberg @ 2021-04-16  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On 15 Apr 2021, at 11:45, Henning Hraban Ramm <texml@fiee.net> wrote:
>
>> Am 15.04.2021 um 10:26 schrieb Hans van der Meer <havdmeer@ziggo.nl>:
>>
>> Allthough a new pdf is created, this is not opened. If the pdf is open in Preview already, it is not updated unless switching to the Preview application.
>>
>> It something wrong here? Is it not functional in MacOS? Am I missing some clue?
>
> Apple’s Preview updates only on activation, and not reliably (for me, it often crashes).

One can use the command 'open <filename>', which opens it. In some versions of Preview, one get an extra copy so that they must eventually be all closed by hand.

> That it doesn’t update in the background is more a feature than a bug, otherwise it would complain about broken/unavailable files during the TeX runs.

It is likely a bug: It has worked in some past versions.

* Re: autopdf on MacOS?
@ 2021-04-16  8:36     ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2021-04-16  8:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 4/16/21 10:26 AM, Hans Åberg wrote:
>> That it doesn’t update in the background is more a feature than a bug, otherwise it would complain about broken/unavailable files during the TeX runs.
> It is likely a bug: It has worked in some past versions.

It still works for me (I'm on the latest version of macos). The trick is
to not change the focus to the pdf document in preview until the TeX run
has finished; otherwise you get a dialogue box complaining about a
broken pdf document. It also helps that ConTeXt now displays the
colorful "error" page when something goes wrong; otherwise, preview crashes.

Thomas

* Re: autopdf on MacOS?
@ 2021-04-16 12:21       ` Hans Åberg
From: Hans Åberg @ 2021-04-16 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On 16 Apr 2021, at 10:36, Thomas A. Schmitz <thomas.schmitz@uni-bonn.de> wrote:
>
> On 4/16/21 10:26 AM, Hans Åberg wrote:
>>> That it doesn’t update in the background is more a feature than a bug, otherwise it would complain about broken/unavailable files during the TeX runs.
>> It is likely a bug: It has worked in some past versions.
> It still works for me (I'm on the latest version of macos). The trick is to not change the focus to the pdf document in preview until the TeX run has finished; otherwise you get a dialogue box complaining about a broken pdf document.

That is the activation, which also can be done by the 'open' command:
context … && open <pdf>
If 'context' succeeds, the PDF document will be opened, otherwise not. If one wants to use another PDF reader, one can use
open -a <application> <filename>