* how to embed a postscript Times
@ 2006-01-26 19:27 Steffen Wolfrum
From: Steffen Wolfrum @ 2006-01-26 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I have to typeset a document in postscript Times Roman. I guess I
have to use

\usetypescript[postscript][\defaultencoding]
\setupbodyfont[postscript,10pt]

But is this enough to make sure that my Times is really embedded and
not "overwritten" by the standard printer Times when the PDF is printed?

(I don't feel comfortable when using these standard fonts, that
everybody has but none are the same ...)

Steffen

* Re: how to embed a postscript Times
@ 2006-01-27  7:57 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2006-01-27  7:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steffen Wolfrum wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have to typeset a document in postscript Times Roman. I guess I
> have to use
>
> \usetypescript[postscript][\defaultencoding]
> \setupbodyfont[postscript,10pt]
>
> But is this enough to make sure that my Times is really embedded and
> not "overwritten" by the standard printer Times when the PDF is printed?

There is nothing more you can do from within ConTeXt. Check your PDF
using the Document Settings->Fonts dialog in the Adobe Reader. If
it says there are only embedded fonts named 'NimbusRom' or something
similar, you are safe (this is very likely with current TeX distros)

If you see any font name like Times or Times-Roman, you can forget
about being 100% certain. You can't even trust the Adobe Reader. So,
if you see "Times" in the font list, you have to fix up your dvips/
pdftex map files. If so, let us know what opsys / TeX distro
(+ version) you use and someone will be able to explain how to do that,
hopefully.

Cheers, Taco

* Re: how to embed a postscript Times
@ 2006-01-27 17:13   ` Steffen Wolfrum
From: Steffen Wolfrum @ 2006-01-27 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 27.01.2006 um 08:57 schrieb Taco Hoekwater:

> Steffen Wolfrum wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have to typeset a document in postscript Times Roman. I guess I
>> have to use
>>
>> \usetypescript[postscript][\defaultencoding]
>> \setupbodyfont[postscript,10pt]
>>
>> But is this enough to make sure that my Times is really embedded and
>> not "overwritten" by the standard printer Times when the PDF is
>> printed?
>
> There is nothing more you can do from within ConTeXt. Check your PDF
> using the Document Settings->Fonts dialog in the Adobe Reader. If
> it says there are only embedded fonts named 'NimbusRom' or something
> similar, you are safe (this is very likely with current TeX distros)

OK. That's the case.

Thank you,
Steffen