* alternating items in an itemization
@ 2011-05-23 20:08 Jesse Alama
From: Jesse Alama @ 2011-05-23 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

I'd like to define an itemization that has two kinds of items,
representing a dialogue between two people.  (One could imagine
extending this to more than two.)  I'd like to have something like this:

\startdialogue
\john What did you have for breakfast?
\mary I skipped breakfast today.
\john Oh, why?
\mary Because I wasn't hungry.  I was too distraught at what had
happened the previous night.
\stopdialogue

The \john and \mary parts would each be their own paragaphs.  The
paragraphs would be colored with different text backgrounds, and joined
up with one another  (that is, the blocks of text representing the
paragraphs for the different speakers would be adjacent to one another).

I've tried doing this using \defineparagraphs, \defineframedtext, and
\defineenumerations, but I can't quite get the right effect;

\setupcolors[state=start]
\definetextbackground[john-background][backgroundcolor=green]
\definetextbackground[mary-background][backgroundcolor=red]
\definestartstop[dialogue]
\defineparagraphs[john][before={\starttextbackground[john-background]},after={\stoptextbackground}]
\defineparagraphs[mary][before={\starttextbackground[mary-background]},after={\stoptextbackground}]

Putting

this before the above \start/stopdialogue snippet (suitably enclosed in
\start/stoptext) gives me an error about a missing "}"; I suppose I'm
overlooking something.

An enumeration-based solution would be along these lines:

\defineenumeration
  [chat]
\setupenumerations
  [chat]
  [joinedup,packed]
\define[0]\john{\item John: }
\define[0]\may{\item Mary: }

I can't figure out how to get the textbackgrounds to work here, and
there's a bullet symbol at the beginning of every "dialogue paragraph",
which I'd rather get rid of (and I don't want the indent between the
bullet and the beginning of the text).

A framed-text solution starts to come close:

\defineframedtext[john][frame=off,background=color,backgroundcolor=magenta]
\defineframedtext[mary][frame=off,background=color,backgroundcolor=lightred]

But then the boxed paragraphs are separated from each other by some
vertical whitespace.

Another idea would be to use tables, but I haven't explored that yet.
Any suggestions for how to render "dialogues" as above in ConTeXt?

Thanks,

Jesse

* Re: alternating items in an itemization
@ 2011-05-24 12:16 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-05-24 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 23.05.2011 um 22:08 schrieb Jesse Alama:

> I'd like to define an itemization that has two kinds of items, representing a dialogue between two people.  (One could imagine extending this to more than two.)  I'd like to have something like this:
>
> \startdialogue
> \john What did you have for breakfast?
> \mary I skipped breakfast today.
> \john Oh, why?
> \mary Because I wasn't hungry.  I was too distraught at what had happened the previous night.
> \stopdialogue
>
> The \john and \mary parts would each be their own paragaphs.  The paragraphs would be colored with different text backgrounds, and joined up with one another  (that is, the blocks of text representing the paragraphs for the different speakers would be adjacent to one another).

Solution 1:

\definetextbackground[john-background][frame=off,location=paragraph,backgroundcolor=green]
\definetextbackground[mary-background][frame=off,location=paragraph,backgroundcolor=red]

\defineenumeration
  [john]
  [    text=John: ,
      width=3em,
     number=no,
   location=left,
     before={\starttextbackground[john-background]},
      after=\stoptextbackground]

\defineenumeration
  [mary][john]
  [  text=Mary: ,
   before={\starttextbackground[mary-background]},
    after=\stoptextbackground]

\starttext

\john What did you have for breakfast?\par
\mary I skipped breakfast today.\par
\startjohn Oh, why?\stopjohn
\startmary Because I wasn't hungry.  I was too distraught at what had happened the previous night.\stopmary

\stoptext

Solution 2:

\usemodule[annotation]

\definetextbackground[john-background][frame=off,location=paragraph,backgroundcolor=green]
\definetextbackground[mary-background][frame=off,location=paragraph,backgroundcolor=red]

\defineannotation
  [john]
  [       text=John,
     stopper=: ,
     inbetween=,
        before={\starttextbackground[john-background]},
         after={\stoptextbackground},
   spacebefore=nowhite]

\defineannotation
  [mary][john]
  [  text=Mary,
   before={\starttextbackground[mary-background]},
    after={\stoptextbackground}]

\starttext

\john{What did you have for breakfast?}
\mary{I skipped breakfast today.}
\startjohn Oh, why?\stopjohn
\startmary Because I wasn't hungry.  I was too distraught at what had happened the previous night.\stopmary

\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: alternating items in an itemization
@ 2011-05-24 14:24   ` Jesse Alama
From: Jesse Alama @ 2011-05-24 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 2011-05-24 14:16:16 +0200, Wolfgang Schuster said:

> Am 23.05.2011 um 22:08 schrieb Jesse Alama:
>
>> I'd like to define an itemization that has two kinds of items,
>> representing a dialogue between two people.  (One could imagine
>> extending this to more than two.)  I'd like to have something like this:
>>
>> \startdialogue
>> \john What did you have for breakfast?
>> \mary I skipped breakfast today.
>> \john Oh, why?
>> \mary Because I wasn't hungry.  I was too distraught at what had
>> happened the previous night.
>> \stopdialogue
>>
>> The \john and \mary parts would each be their own paragaphs.  The
>> paragraphs would be colored with different text backgrounds, and joined
>> up with one another  (that is, the blocks of text representing the
>> paragraphs for the different speakers would be adjacent to one another).
>

> Solution 1:
>
> \definetextbackground[john-background][frame=off,location=paragraph,backgroundcolor=green]
\definetextbackground[mary-background][frame=off,location=paragraph,backgroundcolor=red]

\defineenumeration

>  [john]
>   [    text=John: ,
>       width=3em,
>      number=no,
>    location=left,
>      before={\starttextbackground[john-background]},
>       after=\stoptextbackground]
>
> \defineenumeration
>   [mary][john]
>   [  text=Mary: ,
>    before={\starttextbackground[mary-background]},
>     after=\stoptextbackground]
>
> \starttext
>
> \john What did you have for breakfast?\par
> \mary I skipped breakfast today.\par
> \startjohn Oh, why?\stopjohn
> \startmary Because I wasn't hungry.  I was too distraught at what had
> happened the previous night.\stopmary
>
> \stoptext
>
> Solution 2:
>
> \usemodule[annotation]
>
> \definetextbackground[john-background][frame=off,location=paragraph,backgroundcolor=green]
\definetextbackground[mary-background][frame=off,location=paragraph,backgroundcolor=red]

\defineannotation

>  [john]
>   [       text=John,
>      stopper=: ,
>      inbetween=,
>         before={\starttextbackground[john-background]},
>          after={\stoptextbackground},
>    spacebefore=nowhite]
>
> \defineannotation
>   [mary][john]
>   [  text=Mary,
>    before={\starttextbackground[mary-background]},
>     after={\stoptextbackground}]
>
> \starttext
>
> \john{What did you have for breakfast?}
> \mary{I skipped breakfast today.}
> \startjohn Oh, why?\stopjohn
> \startmary Because I wasn't hungry.  I was too distraught at what had
> happened the previous night.\stopmary
>
> \stoptext

Thanks!  These fit the bill.  (I note, though, that in the
annotation-based solution, the texts "John" and "Mary" don't show up.
Otherwise the annotation solution is just what I am looking for.)

* Re: alternating items in an itemization
@ 2011-05-24 14:35     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-05-24 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 24.05.2011 um 16:24 schrieb Jesse Alama:

> Thanks!  These fit the bill.  (I note, though, that in the annotation-based solution, the texts "John" and "Mary" don't show up. Otherwise the annotation solution is just what I am looking for.)

I noticed this too and uploaded a new version (it was already fixed in my local version).

Wolfgang