* footnote placement
@ 2005-03-21 15:34 Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2005-03-21 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear gang,

I think this may have been missed, so I'm sending it again.

Best
Idris
============Thu, 17 Mar 2005 21:24:43 -0700==========
Dear syndicate,

1. When I place footnotes as endnotes, they overflow the page, like an
oversize \vbox.

2. E.g.

\input tufte

does not work from inside \footnote{}

Here is a test file.

Best
Idris

==================test-notes===================
\setupoutput[pdftex]

\setupfootnotes[location=text]

\starttext

\dorecurse{14}
{\input tufte\footnote{Here is a footnote.\par Here is a footnote.\par
Here is a footnote.}
\par
\input knuth\footnote{Here is a footnote.\par Here is a footnote.\par Here
is a footnote.}
\par}

%\dorecurse{14} % THIS DOES NOT WORK!!!
%{\input tufte\footnote{\input tufte}
%\par
%\input knuth\footnote{\input knuth}
%\par}

\section{notes}

\placefootnotes[location=text,split=tolerant]
% the split option does not help:-(

\stoptext

Professor Idris Samawi Hamid
Department of Philosophy
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, CO 80523

* Re: footnote placement
@ 2005-03-21 16:42 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-03-21 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Idris Samawi Hamid wrote:
> Dear gang,
>
> I think this may have been missed, so I'm sending it again.

replace your core-not.tex by the attached file and regenerate the format

\starttext

\dorecurse{100}{test \footnote{test} \endnote{eee}\endgraf}

\page

\placenotes[endnote]

\stoptext

should work then

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: footnote placement
@ 2005-03-21 20:12   ` Gerben Wierda
From: Gerben Wierda @ 2005-03-21 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have been trying to do this for a test with larger notes, but this
fails:

\starttext
\startbuffer[tufte]
\input tufte
\stopbuffer
\startbuffer[knuth]
\input knuth
\stopbuffer
\dorecurse{100}{test \footnote{\typebuffer[knuth]}
\endnote{eee}\endgraf}

\page

\placenotes[endnote]

\stoptext

But I get "\input tufte" in my footnotes. Putting the \input directly
in the \footnote also fails because TeX cannot open the fiile.

On 21 Mar 2005, at 17:42, Hans Hagen wrote:

> Idris Samawi Hamid wrote:
>> Dear gang,
>> I think this may have been missed, so I'm sending it again.
>
> replace your core-not.tex by the attached file and regenerate the
> format
>
> \starttext
>
> \dorecurse{100}{test \footnote{test} \endnote{eee}\endgraf}
>
> \page
>
> \placenotes[endnote]
>
> \stoptext
>
> should work then
>
> Hans

* Re: footnote placement
@ 2005-03-28 23:26     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-03-28 23:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gerben Wierda wrote:
> I have been trying to do this for a test with larger notes, but this fails:
>
> \starttext
> \startbuffer[tufte]
> \input tufte
> \stopbuffer
> \startbuffer[knuth]
> \input knuth
> \stopbuffer
> \dorecurse{100}{test \footnote{\typebuffer[knuth]} \endnote{eee}\endgraf}

it's \getbuffer else you indeed get a verbatim buffer (which is what type does);

\dorecurse{100}{test \footnote{\input knuth } \endnote{eee}\endgraf}

also works; put a space or \relax after \input, else tex keeps scanning;
alternatively use \ReadFile{knuth} or \readfile{knuth}{}{}

> \page
>
> \placenotes[endnote]
>
> \stoptext
>
> But I get "\input tufte" in my footnotes. Putting the \input directly in
> the \footnote also fails because TeX cannot open the fiile.

> On 21 Mar 2005, at 17:42, Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>> Idris Samawi Hamid wrote:
>>
>>> Dear gang,
>>> I think this may have been missed, so I'm sending it again.
>>

>> replace your core-not.tex by the attached file and regenerate the format
>>
>> \starttext
>>
>> \dorecurse{100}{test \footnote{test} \endnote{eee}\endgraf}
>>
>> \page
>>
>> \placenotes[endnote]
>>
>> \stoptext
>>
>> should work then
>>
>> Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: footnote placement
@ 2005-03-28 23:30     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-03-28 23:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gerben Wierda wrote:
> I have been trying to do this for a test with larger notes, but this fails:
>
> \starttext
> \startbuffer[tufte]
> \input tufte
> \stopbuffer
> \startbuffer[knuth]
> \input knuth
> \stopbuffer
> \dorecurse{100}{test \footnote{\typebuffer[knuth]} \endnote{eee}\endgraf}
>
> \page
>
> \placenotes[endnote]

\setupnote[endnote][location=none]

\starttext

\dorecurse{100}{test \endnote{eee}\endgraf}

\page

\placenotes[endnote]

\stoptext

i'll make location=none the defautl for endnotes; (other alternatives will snap
and add backgrounds and such which is one reason for the notes not breaking

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* a small typo
@ 2005-04-12 11:25       ` Martin Kolarík
From: Martin Kolarík @ 2005-04-12 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

IMHO type-dis.tex should contain the line:

  \definefontsynonym[il2-lmtti10] [csitt10]  [encoding=il2]

instead of bad:

  \definefontsynonym[il2-lmtti10] [cstti10]  [encoding=il2]

-- the difference is in csitt/cstti font name.

Have a nice day,

Martin