* alpha version low level english
@ 2004-08-30  7:16 Hans Hagen
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Hans Hagen @ 2004-08-30  7:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I uploaded the upcoming release,

  http://www.pragma-ade.com/context/alpha

This version is low level english (commands, keywords, values). It is possible that some functionality is not working, but as far as i can see   most should work as expected. If you find low level dutch in the source code, (1) if it is dramatic, let me know asap, (2) if it's just an indirect command, collect them first.

For Taco: you need to adapt your m-* modules! (I'll send you a script that will make it a bit more comfortable, but some manual work may be needed).

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: alpha version low level english
@ 2004-08-30  9:55 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2004-08-30  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 09:16:52 +0200, Hans wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I uploaded the upcoming release,
>
>   http://www.pragma-ade.com/context/alpha
>
> For Taco: you need to adapt your m-* modules!

A matching alpha-release of the bibliographic module is available from

	http://tex.aanhet.net/bib/alpha

It does not solve any issues except the two that are directly related
to the international interface:
	- it no longer redefines the constant: 'author'
	- various low-level commands of the bib module are now
           in english as well.

This version is for testing purposes only!

--
groeten,

Taco

* Re: Re: alpha version low level english
@ 2004-08-30 10:32     ` Adam Lindsay
From: Adam Lindsay @ 2004-08-30 10:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>> I uploaded the upcoming release,
>>>  http://www.pragma-ade.com/context/alpha This version is low level
>>> english (commands, keywords, values). It is

Very cool. I can't imagine how huge a job this was.

While looking through mult-com and -con, I noticed a few capitalised
words that didn't get translated:

mult-con: Cijfers, Letters, Letter, MAAND, Romeins, Grieks, WEEKDAG, WOORD.
mult-com: steloffsetin

With every change you make, there's almost always a complaint. :) Here's mine:
In English (American & British), "criterium" is more correctly
"criterion". Similarly, "palet" is "palette". I have notes on other
little complaints, but these are the big ones.

As you have to worry about backward compatibility, I know there's not a
lot you can do to make me happy, but my inner pedant just wanted to get
that off his chest. :)
 Adam T. Lindsay, Computing Dept.     atl@comp.lancs.ac.uk
 InfoLab21 Bldg, Lancaster University   +44(0)1524/xxx.xxx
 Lancaster, LA1 3WA, UK             Fax:+44(0)1524/510.492

* Re: alpha version low level english
@ 2004-08-30 12:39 ` Nikolai Weibull
From: Nikolai Weibull @ 2004-08-30 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> [Aug 30, 2004 13:40]:
> This version is low level english (commands, keywords, values).

Will documentation of core files also be translated to English, or is
that a bit too ambitious at the moment?

Great work btw, simplifies navigation of the source for people like me
who can only follow some of the Dutch in there,
	nikolai

::: page: www.pcppopper.org  :: fun atm: gf,lps,ruby,lisp,war3 :::

* Re: Re: alpha version low level english
@ 2004-08-30 13:12   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2004-08-30 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nikolai Weibull wrote:

>* Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> [Aug 30, 2004 13:40]:
>

>>This version is low level english (commands, keywords, values).
>>

>Will documentation of core files also be translated to English, or is
>that a bit too ambitious at the moment?

most of the documentation is in english, the commands, keywords, values etc in %D blocks are also translated

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2004-08-30 15:21 ` Vit Zyka
From: Vit Zyka @ 2004-08-30 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I uploaded the upcoming release,
>
>  http://www.pragma-ade.com/context/alpha
> This version is low level english (commands, keywords, values). It is

Great, Hans (and Taco). Now I can remember only with nostalgy the time
when I mysteriously fumbled the Dutch word labyrint :-(

So the secret is over and a life is easier...

Thanks
Vit Zyka

* Re: alpha version low level english
@ 2004-08-30 15:44   ` Patrick Gundlach
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2004-08-30 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

>> I uploaded the upcoming release,
>>  http://www.pragma-ade.com/context/alpha This version is low level
>> english (commands, keywords, values). It is
>
> Great, Hans (and Taco). Now I can remember only with nostalgy the time
> when I mysteriously fumbled the Dutch word labyrint :-(

I just bought a Dutch Dictionary mainly for ConTeXt ;-)

Patrick
--
ConTeXt wiki: http://contextgarden.net
texshow-web:  http://texshow.contextgarden.net

* Re: Re: alpha version low level english
@ 2004-08-30 15:57     ` Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2004-08-30 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Patrick,

of course that is no waste of money! We might start to write dutch
sentences on the list ;-)

Willi

@ 2004-08-30 16:24     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2004-08-30 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Patrick Gundlach wrote:

> just bought a Dutch Dictionary mainly for ConTeXt ;-)

You can still use cont-nl since multiple interfaces are still supported -)

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2004-08-31  9:49       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2004-08-31  9:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Adam Lindsay wrote:

>Very cool. I can't imagine how huge a job this was.
>
>While looking through mult-com and -con, I noticed a few capitalised
>words that didn't get translated:
>
>mult-con: Cijfers, Letters, Letter, MAAND, Romeins, Grieks, WEEKDAG, WOORD.
>mult-com: steloffsetin

ok, corrected (keywords with capitals were left untouched, since they
may be user ones)

>With every change you make, there's almost always a complaint. :) Here's mine:
>In English (American & British), "criterium" is more correctly
>"criterion". Similarly, "palet" is "palette". I have notes on other
>little complaints, but these are the big ones.

well, you can always define a 'purified' interface (script an extra
entry in mult-co[nm] with defaults taken fron english)

>As you have to worry about backward compatibility, I know there's not a
>lot you can do to make me happy, but my inner pedant just wanted to get
>that off his chest. :)

no problem, as soon as >50% is crap english we can cook up a new version

btw, internally we speak of context-2 for this ll english one, after
that comes context-4 [we skip the 3, guess why] and after that context-8
and context-16 for other fundamental changes, so there are enough
oppurtunities left for improvement

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2004-08-31  9:50       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2004-08-31  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

btw, i uploaded a new alpha

Han s

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2004-09-01  7:24         ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2004-09-01  7:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 11:49:59 +0200, Hans wrote:

> >With every change you make, there's almost always a complaint. :) Here's mine:
> >In English (American & British), "criterium" is more correctly
> >"criterion". Similarly, "palet" is "palette". I have notes on other
> >little complaints, but these are the big ones.
> >

> well, you can always define a 'purified' interface (script an extra
> entry in mult-co[nm] with defaults taken fron english)

Perhaps it is possible to come up with aliases for "left" and "right"
alignments as well? something like

	align=flushleft % maps to 'old' right
	align=flushright % maps to 'old' left

--

@ 2004-09-01  8:15         ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2004-09-01  8:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 11:50:20 +0200, Hans wrote:

> btw, i uploaded a new alpha

You re-uploaded the old alpha, actually. :-)

--
groeten,

Taco

* Re[2]: Re: alpha version low level english
@ 2004-09-01 12:24           ` Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2004-09-01 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wednesday, September 1, 2004 Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 11:49:59 +0200, Hans wrote:

>> >With every change you make, there's almost always a complaint. :) Here's mine:
>> >In English (American & British), "criterium" is more correctly
>> >"criterion". Similarly, "palet" is "palette". I have notes on other
>> >little complaints, but these are the big ones.
>> >

>> well, you can always define a 'purified' interface (script an extra
>> entry in mult-co[nm] with defaults taken fron english)

> Perhaps it is possible to come up with aliases for "left" and "right"
> alignments as well? something like

> 	align=flushleft % maps to 'old' right
> 	align=flushright % maps to 'old' left

+1 to this proposal. This way we can then later map right and
left to the *correct* ones :)

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

* Re: Re[2]: Re: alpha version low level english
@ 2004-09-01 15:02             ` Maurice Diamantini
From: Maurice Diamantini @ 2004-09-01 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Maurice Diamantini (free)

Le 1 sept. 04, à 14:24, Giuseppe Bilotta a écrit :

>> 	align=flushleft % maps to 'old' right
>> 	align=flushright % maps to 'old' left
>
> +1 to this proposal. This way we can then later map right and
> left to the *correct* ones :)

+1 for me, it's more natural!

-- Maurice Diamantini

* Re: Re: alpha version low level english
@ 2004-09-01 18:27           ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2004-09-01 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Taco Hoekwater wrote:

>On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 11:49:59 +0200, Hans wrote:
>

>>>With every change you make, there's almost always a complaint. :) Here's mine:
>>>In English (American & British), "criterium" is more correctly
>>>"criterion". Similarly, "palet" is "palette". I have notes on other
>>>little complaints, but these are the big ones.
>>>

>>well, you can always define a 'purified' interface (script an extra
>>entry in mult-co[nm] with defaults taken fron english)
>>

>Perhaps it is possible to come up with aliases for "left" and "right"
>alignments as well? something like
>
>	align=flushleft % maps to 'old' right
>	align=flushright % maps to 'old' left

I added:  (ugly dutch, maybe linkslijnend is better but not consistent
with english)

\setupalign[flushleft]  \input ward \par % lijnlinks
\setupalign[right]      \input ward \par

\setupalign[flushright] \input ward \par % lijnrechts
\setupalign[left]       \input ward \par

\setupalign[middle]     \input ward \par % centreer
\setupalign[center]     \input ward \par

(btw there was already \setupalign[new] for switching l/r -)

I also sped up the setupalign macro (some 3 times faster now)

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE