* How to setup german documents?
@ 2004-02-16 14:26 Stefan Wachter
From: Stefan Wachter @ 2004-02-16 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all!

I have a very basic question which occupies me for more than a week now:
How to setup documents for german language properly, such that:

1. the used input encoding is ISO-8859-1,
2. german special character are available, and
3. german hyphenation patterns are used.

The setup shown below does not work: TeX is not able to hyphenate
"Änderungsabnahme" and the \quotedblbase symbol is broader than its
counterpart the \quotedblleft symbol.

Thanks for your attention and help,
--Stefan

\setupoutput[pdftex]
\enableregime[il1]
\usetypescript[times][ec]
\mainlanguage[de]
\starttext

äÄöÖüÜß

quotedblbase: \quotedblbase

quotedblleft: \quotedblleft

\showhyphens{Änderungsabnahme}

\stoptext

* Re: Not seeing the wood because of so many trees
@ 2004-02-17  8:17 ` Thomas A.Schmitz
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Thomas A.Schmitz @ 2004-02-17  8:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sorry for going back to an older thread, but I don't think the question
was answered properly. Alexander Klink wanted to know how to typeset
"{" and "}". Suggestions were "\type|{| and \type|}|" or "$\{$ and
$\}$". Neither of which is satisfactory, because it will typeset them
either in typewriter or in math font. We had a discussion about similar
questions a while ago. I still think we should have "\{" and "\}" for
this kind of thing. As long as this isn't available, I see no better
solution than "\getglyph{Serif}{123}" and "\getglyph{Serif}{125}" vel.
sim. For those of us working in the humanities, these curly braces are
sometimes necessary (e.g., in critical editions), and having them in
typewriter or math fonts isn't acceptable. So may I continue my rally
for \{ etc.?

All best

Thomas

* Re: Not seeing the wood because of so many trees
@ 2004-02-18  6:24   ` Johannes Hüsing
From: Johannes Hüsing @ 2004-02-18  6:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

A couple of fonts, including Computer Modern Roman, do not have
curly braces as glyphs. As Computer Modern Roman is the brick-and-mortar
font of TeX, few people bother that there is no explicit token/command
that evokes it.

You have a point though.

--
Johannes Hüsing   There is something fascinating about science. One gets
hannes@ruhrau.de  such wholesale returns of conjecture from such a

* Re: Not seeing the wood because of so many trees
@ 2004-02-18  7:50     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2004-02-18  7:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 07:24 18/02/2004, you wrote:
>A couple of fonts, including Computer Modern Roman, do not have
>curly braces as glyphs. As Computer Modern Roman is the brick-and-mortar
>font of TeX, few people bother that there is no explicit token/command
>that evokes it.

mayhe changing to LatinModern will help, since that's a complete font ...

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE/POD/CTS

* Re[2]: Not seeing the wood because of so many trees
@ 2004-02-18 15:20   ` Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2004-02-18 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tuesday, February 17, 2004 Thomas A.Schmitz wrote:

> Sorry for going back to an older thread, but I don't think the question
> was answered properly. Alexander Klink wanted to know how to typeset
> "{" and "}". Suggestions were "\type|{| and \type|}|" or "$\{$ and
> $\}$". Neither of which is satisfactory, because it will typeset them
> either in typewriter or in math font. We had a discussion about similar
> questions a while ago. I still think we should have "\{" and "\}" for
> this kind of thing. As long as this isn't available, I see no better
> solution than "\getglyph{Serif}{123}" and
> "\getglyph{Serif}{125}" vel.
> sim. For those of us working in the humanities, these curly braces are
> sometimes necessary (e.g., in critical editions), and having them in
> typewriter or math fonts isn't acceptable. So may I continue my rally
> for \{ etc.?

Sorry for the delay. \textbraceleft and \textbraceright should
work ok if encodings are set up correctly.

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

* Re: Re[2]: Not seeing the wood because of so many trees
@ 2004-02-19 17:21     ` Thomas A.Schmitz
From: Thomas A.Schmitz @ 2004-02-19 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Feb 18, 2004, at 4:20 PM, Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:

> \textbraceleft and \textbraceright should
> work ok if encodings are set up correctly.

Your're right, it works as expected. Thanks a lot!

All best

Thomas

* Re: Not seeing the wood because of so many trees
@ 2004-02-20  8:36   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2004-02-20  8:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 09:17 17/02/2004, Thomas A.Schmitz wrote:
>Sorry for going back to an older thread, but I don't think the question
>was answered properly. Alexander Klink wanted to know how to typeset "{"
>and "}". Suggestions were "\type|{| and \type|}|" or "$\{$ and $\}$".
>Neither of which is satisfactory, because it will typeset them either in
>typewriter or in math font. We had a discussion about similar questions a
>while ago. I still think we should have "\{" and "\}" for
>this kind of thing. As long as this isn't available, I see no better
>solution than "\getglyph{Serif}{123}" and "\getglyph{Serif}{125}" vel.
>sim. For those of us working in the humanities, these curly braces are
>sometimes necessary (e.g., in critical editions), and having them in
>typewriter or math fonts isn't acceptable. So may I continue my rally for
>\{ etc.?

The problem is that the cmr fonts are not that complete. Once we switch to
the lmr fonts, this problem will disappear (sincethen we can use other
encoding vectors)