* developing large numbers of MP files for inclusion in source
@ 2005-12-24  0:18 David Arnold
From: David Arnold @ 2005-12-24  0:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans, Taco, et al,

Our intermediate algebra text will require a large number of figures.
I have two thoughts.

1. It's really inefficient to compile the entire context source file
just to see what will happen to one figure. So, it seems that we
should probably have a library of graphs for later inclusion in the
main document. One would want to be able to compile all at once or
individually if one were just working on one file.

2. The code for many individual figures is quite long and tends to
obscure the flow of thought when included in the source. Again, if
they were coming from an external document, that would be better.

I am not looking to include the files one at a time after
development. I know how to do that. Rather, I am looking for a way to
gather all the source for figures in a file, compile all of the file,
or just one figure from the file, then somehow call that source code
into the main .tex doc during compile time.

I am open to any suggestions on how to most efficiently develop and
include figures (in Metapost, of course) in our main document.

Thanks.

* Re: developing large numbers of MP files for inclusion in source
@ 2005-12-24  9:17 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2005-12-24  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Arnold wrote:

> I am open to any suggestions on how to most efficiently develop and
> include figures (in Metapost, of course) in our main document.

Well, if you do not depend on metafun -- context interaction, then
I would just create a metapost input file per chapter, and compile
it with mpost off-line (it they are complicated, even pre-run mptopdf
to save time during the inclusion phase).

Then include the image in the document just like I would a 'normal'
external figure or even table). I have a separate per-chapter directory
for that to avoid clutter. It is not most high-tech solution, but I
find it quite workable.

So, my tree structure usually looks like this:

    ./book.tex
    ./style.tex
    ./chapter1.tex % those are components
    ./chapter2.tex
    ./chapter1/figure.mp
    ./chapter1/figure.1
    ./chapter1/figure.2
    ./chapter1/whatever.png
    ./chapter1/table-1.tex

Cheers,

Taco

* Re: developing large numbers of MP files for inclusion in source
@ 2005-12-24 15:05 ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2005-12-24 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2005-12-24 um 01:18 schrieb David Arnold:

> 1. It's really inefficient to compile the entire context source
> file just to see what will happen to one figure. So, it seems that
> we should probably have a library of graphs for later inclusion in
> the main document. One would want to be able to compile all at once
> or individually if one were just working on one file.
>
> 2. The code for many individual figures is quite long and tends to
> obscure the flow of thought when included in the source. Again, if
> they were coming from an external document, that would be better.

Perhaps the "figure database" approach is right for you - create a
PDF with one figure per page and write a descripting XML, see also
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Image_Database

Grüßlis vom Hraban!
---
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/
http://contextgarden.net
http://www.cacert.org (I'm an assurer)

* Re: developing large numbers of MP files for inclusion in source
@ 2005-12-24 20:10   ` David Arnold
       [not found]     ` <6faad9f00512241617n4a2102c6mcdde847afc67ea48@mail.gmail.com>
From: David Arnold @ 2005-12-24 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Do you have one metapost file with many figures in it? Is it possible
to just compile for the figurein that file that   you want? Is there
a command that will compile then show the result?

@ 2005-12-25  0:25       ` David Arnold
From: David Arnold @ 2005-12-25  0:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mojca,

You pretty much describe the way I've always worked in the past.

I am currently working on a technique where all my graphics for
section1 of chapter 3 are inside a file named sectionfigs.tex. I am
using MPpage and friends to make these. The file currently contains
about 14 graphics and files .1 through .14 are produced when I run
the file with texexec.

Next, I have a file section1figs.xml that is working as per the
directions in xfigures-s.pdf from Pragma. It produces a nice listing
of all of the figures for section 1 and their new labels (names).

I am now in my main document section1.tex including these figures as
per directions in xfigures-s.pdf.

I'd be happy to send what I've done when I've finished. Let me know.

@ 2005-12-25  7:50     ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2005-12-25  7:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Arnold wrote:
> Do you have one metapost file with many figures in it? Is it possible
> to just compile for the figurein that file that you want?

Usually I have all in one file. You can comment out figures
you do not need, using:

   if false:
   beginfig(1)
   endfig;
   ..
   fi

So I normally do that with the first ten when I am working on the
eleventh. Later, I just change the 'false' to 'true'.

Sometimes metaposts "input" command is handier, but I prefer not
to have too many files on disk.

> Is there  a
> command that will compile then show the result?

I use ghostscript for preview (gv, actually) or xpdf if there is
embedded math/nontrivial text, by running mptopdf first.

Like I said before: my setup is not hightech at all.

Cheers, Taco