* How to use charter?
@ 2003-07-16  8:07 Alexander Klink
From: Alexander Klink @ 2003-07-16  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

I am trying to use the Bitstream Charter as a font. Unluckily,
all the umlauts fail to appear. Here is how I do it:

\definefont[bchr][bchr8t at 12pt]
\starttext
\bchr \"a \"o \"u \SS{}
\stoptext

Any idea why that happens? Could someone explain to me (or point
me to some documentation) on what exactly happens when I do something
like the above? Or is there a better way to do it (I guess so...)?

Greetings,
		Alex

* Re: How to use charter?
@ 2003-07-16  9:59   ` Alexander Klink
From: Alexander Klink @ 2003-07-16  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Willi,

On Wed, Jul 16, 2003 at 12:09:51PM +0200, Willi Egger wrote:
> I am for sure no font guru. I would suggest you to install the charter fonts
> with texfont.
Apparently, that work has already been done, I found out on the
web page mentioned in the previous posting. Sorry, next time i should
probably read first, then post :-/
Thanks for the help, anyways.
But I got another font related problem (or actually two):
I installed a TTF-Font using
texfont --fontroot=/usr/share/texmf/ --ve=manfredklein --co=thelogovals
--ma --in
Now the umlauts seem to be at weird position, so \"u does not work,
I can get it with \char252, but that is ugly and gives more problems.
How do I solve that in a nice way? I guess I would have to write
an .enc-file?
Another problem is that I was trying to install the Scriptina font
from www.apostrophiclab.com, but any time I run texfont on either
the TTF or the Type 1 font, it hangs (vptovf runs and eats 100%
cpu time, apparently doing nothing). But I guess this is not really
ConTeXt related, anyone knows where I could report that bug?

Greetings,
		Alex

* Re: How to use charter?
@ 2003-07-16 10:09 ` Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2003-07-16 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Alexander,

> I am trying to use the Bitstream Charter as a font. Unluckily,
> all the umlauts fail to appear. Here is how I do it:
>
> \definefont[bchr][bchr8t at 12pt]
> \starttext
> \bchr \"a \"o \"u \SS{}
> \stoptext

I am for sure no font guru. I would suggest you to install the charter fonts
with texfont.

What I have done in the last quarter of an hour:

Create a directory \texmf\fonts\source\bitstrea\charter
Copy the *.afm and *.pfb files to that directory.
Copy the attached file type-charter.dat to that directory (this is the
charter-section form type-tmf.dat provided by Hans).
Copy texnansi.enc from the dvips environment to that directory.

open a Dos box and run texfont --batch type-charter.dat

Add the map file to pdftex.cfg: map +texnansi-bitstrea-charter.map

Run the attached test file...

You do not have to elaborate a typescript file, because charter is builtin
in the typescripts provided with ConTeXt.

Success Willi

[-- Attachment #2: type-charter.dat --]

# You can process this file as follows, using texfont.pl:
#
#   texfont --encoding=ec --batch texfont.dat
#   texfont --batch texfont.dat    if you have set the encoding as below
#
# where 'ec' can be replaced by 'texnansi', '8r' or otherwise.

# bit charter

--en=texnansi --ve=bitstrea --co=charter --so=auto
--en=texnansi --ve=bitstrea --co=charter --so=auto --ca=* bchr8a
--en=texnansi --ve=bitstrea --co=charter --so=auto --sl=* bchr8a
--en=texnansi --ve=bitstrea --co=charter --so=auto --sl=* bchb8a

[-- Attachment #3: charter.tex --]

% Testfile for the Bitstream charter font collection
% W. Egger
% 16.07.03

\setupoutput[pdftex]

\definetypeface [Myfont] [rm] [serif] [charter] [default] [encoding=texnansi]

\setupbodyfont[Myfont,rm,12pt]

\startbuffer[Text]
    \input knuth
\stopbuffer

\starttext

\section{Charter Roman}

\getbuffer[Text]

\section{Charter Bold}

{\bf \getbuffer[Text]}

\section{Charter Bold-slanted (Built by texfont)}

{\bs \getbuffer[Text]}

\section{Charter Small Caps with \type{\sc}}

{\sc \getbuffer[Text]}

\stoptext

* Re: How to use charter?
@ 2003-07-16 12:03     ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2003-07-16 12:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am Mittwoch, 16.07.03, um 11:59 Uhr (Europe/Zurich) schrieb Alexander
Klink:
> I installed a TTF-Font using
> texfont --fontroot=/usr/share/texmf/ --ve=manfredklein --co=thelogovals
> --ma --in
> Now the umlauts seem to be at weird position, so \"u does not work,
> I can get it with \char252, but that is ugly and gives more problems.
> How do I solve that in a nice way? I guess I would have to write
> an .enc-file?

You need not to write it, but to *use* one!
Add "--en=texnansi" to your above command line.

> Another problem is that I was trying to install the Scriptina font
> from www.apostrophiclab.com, but any time I run texfont on either
> the TTF or the Type 1 font, it hangs (vptovf runs and eats 100%
> cpu time, apparently doing nothing). But I guess this is not really
> ConTeXt related, anyone knows where I could report that bug?

Did you try info@apostrophiclabs.com ? (With a quick search I found
no other email address there.)

Grüßlis vom Hraban!
--
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/

* Re: How to use charter?
@ 2003-07-16 12:06       ` Alexander Klink
From: Alexander Klink @ 2003-07-16 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Henning,

On Wed, Jul 16, 2003 at 02:03:04PM +0200, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
> >I installed a TTF-Font using
> >texfont --fontroot=/usr/share/texmf/ --ve=manfredklein --co=thelogovals
> >--ma --in
> >Now the umlauts seem to be at weird position, so \"u does not work,
> >I can get it with \char252, but that is ugly and gives more problems.
> >How do I solve that in a nice way? I guess I would have to write
> >an .enc-file?
> You need not to write it, but to *use* one!
> Add "--en=texnansi" to your above command line.
Unluckily, this changes nothing. As far as it looked to me, texnansi
is the default encoding anyways (it is in the map file even if I leave
the --en=... out)

Greetings,
		Alex

* Re: How to use charter?
@ 2003-07-16 12:08 ` Jens-Uwe Morawski
From: Jens-Uwe Morawski @ 2003-07-16 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 10:07:51 +0200
Alexander Klink <alech@asta.tu-darmstadt.de> wrote:

> I am trying to use the Bitstream Charter as a font. Unluckily,
> all the umlauts fail to appear. Here is how I do it:
>
> \definefont[bchr][bchr8t at 12pt]
> \starttext
> \bchr \"a \"o \"u \SS{}
> \stoptext

it works here

i don't know if it helps but  try to make a new format for context that
includes support for german

texexec --make --language=de,en en

additionally you can try:
%---
\mainlanguage[de]
\enableregime[il1] % latin1 input encoding (Unix)
\setupencoding[ec] % ec aka T1 font encoding

\usetypescript[berry][ec]

\definetypeface[BitstreamCharter][rm][serif][charter][default][encoding=ec]

\setupbodyfont[BitstreamCharter,12pt]

\starttext
Das ist ein deutscher Text, überaus dumm, aber mit sämtlich
benötigten Umlauten: ä,ö,ü und ß.
\stoptext
% ---

Jens

* Re: How to use charter?
@ 2003-07-16 12:18       ` Alexander Klink
From: Alexander Klink @ 2003-07-16 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Jens,

On Wed, Jul 16, 2003 at 02:21:37PM +0200, Jens-Uwe Morawski wrote:
> > But I got another font related problem (or actually two):
> > I installed a TTF-Font using
> > texfont --fontroot=/usr/share/texmf/ --ve=manfredklein --co=thelogovals
> > --ma --in
> > Now the umlauts seem to be at weird position, so \"u does not work,
> > I can get it with \char252, but that is ugly and gives more problems.
> > How do I solve that in a nice way? I guess I would have to write
> > an .enc-file?
> \char252 is texnansi encoding; you have to setup context to use
> this font encoding
So how do I do this? It looks as it has been done for the font
when I installed it, but when I try to use it as
\definefont[TitleFont][texnansi-TheLogovals][encoding=texnansi]
it does not work. Funnily enough, instead of the ü there is a
u, so maybe it tries to construct the ü out of u + dieresis?

> > Another problem is that I was trying to install the Scriptina font
> > from www.apostrophiclab.com, but any time I run texfont on either
> > the TTF or the Type 1 font, it hangs (vptovf runs and eats 100%
> > cpu time, apparently doing nothing). But I guess this is not really
> > ConTeXt related, anyone knows where I could report that bug?
> don't know about vptovf, but i have installed Scriptina already
> in ec-encoding using fontinst ( i use fontinst instead of texfont, since
> it gives you more control). I can send you the files including support
> for LaTeX and ConTeXt.
That would be great! Is there a manual on fontinst and ConTeXt?
I always thought fontinst was more aimed on LaTeX?

Greetings,
		Alex

* Re: How to use charter?
@ 2003-07-16 12:21     ` Jens-Uwe Morawski
From: Jens-Uwe Morawski @ 2003-07-16 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 11:59:55 +0200
Alexander Klink <alech@asta.tu-darmstadt.de> wrote:

> Dear Willi,
>
> On Wed, Jul 16, 2003 at 12:09:51PM +0200, Willi Egger wrote:
> > I am for sure no font guru. I would suggest you to install the charter fonts
> > with texfont.
> Apparently, that work has already been done, I found out on the
> web page mentioned in the previous posting. Sorry, next time i should
> probably read first, then post :-/
> Thanks for the help, anyways.
> But I got another font related problem (or actually two):
> I installed a TTF-Font using
> texfont --fontroot=/usr/share/texmf/ --ve=manfredklein --co=thelogovals
> --ma --in
> Now the umlauts seem to be at weird position, so \"u does not work,
> I can get it with \char252, but that is ugly and gives more problems.
> How do I solve that in a nice way? I guess I would have to write
> an .enc-file?

\char252 is texnansi encoding; you have to setup context to use
this font encoding

> Another problem is that I was trying to install the Scriptina font
> from www.apostrophiclab.com, but any time I run texfont on either
> the TTF or the Type 1 font, it hangs (vptovf runs and eats 100%
> cpu time, apparently doing nothing). But I guess this is not really
> ConTeXt related, anyone knows where I could report that bug?

don't know about vptovf, but i have installed Scriptina already
in ec-encoding using fontinst ( i use fontinst instead of texfont, since
it gives you more control). I can send you the files including support
for LaTeX and ConTeXt.

Jens

* \filbreak equivalent in ConTeXt
@ 2003-07-16 13:18       ` Duncan Hothersall
From: Duncan Hothersall @ 2003-07-16 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm setting a document which is made up of lots of questions, and I want to
keep the questions whole on a page, breaking the page before the question if
the whole question isn't going to fit on it.

Since all the questions are done in ConTeXt as enumerations or descriptions,
I have been looking for a way to specify this behaviour through that
mechanism, but have been unsuccessful. I have had some success using the
plain macro \filbreak (putting one at the start of each question), but since
this is messing directly with vertical spacing, and I know that ConTeXt
doesn't like you to do that (\vskips are known to interact badly with the
white spacing mechanism, for example) I was looking for the ConTeXt-pure way
of approaching the issue.

I'm also getting some oddities from \filbreak which are no doubt to do with
the ConTeXt vertical spacing being interfered with.

Anyone done this before? I imagine someone must have...

Cheers,

Duncan
dh@capdm.com

* Re: How to use charter?
@ 2003-07-16 13:28       ` wmcclain
From: wmcclain @ 2003-07-16 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 14:03:04 +0200
Henning Hraban Ramm <hraban@fiee.net> wrote:

> > Another problem is that I was trying to install the Scriptina font
> > from www.apostrophiclab.com, but any time I run texfont on either
> > the TTF or the Type 1 font, it hangs (vptovf runs and eats 100%
> > cpu time, apparently doing nothing). But I guess this is not really
> > ConTeXt related, anyone knows where I could report that bug?

I get the same thing. Adding -verbose to vptovf doesn't reveal much new
info.

Of the two fonts in that package, it does scripalt correctly and hangs
on scriptin.

This must be a bug in vptovf. I don't know where to report the problem.
You might ask on comp.text.tex. Whoever looks at the problem will want
to see the texnansi-raw-scriptin.vpl file, which you can copy while the
process is hung.

-Bill
--
Sattre Press                            Curiosities of the Sky
http://sattre-press.com/                    by Garrett Serviss

* Re: How to use charter?
@ 2003-07-16 14:20         ` Jens-Uwe Morawski
From: Jens-Uwe Morawski @ 2003-07-16 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 14:18:21 +0200
Alexander Klink <alech@asta.tu-darmstadt.de> wrote:

> Dear Jens,
>
> On Wed, Jul 16, 2003 at 02:21:37PM +0200, Jens-Uwe Morawski wrote:
> > > But I got another font related problem (or actually two):
> > > I installed a TTF-Font using
> > > texfont --fontroot=/usr/share/texmf/ --ve=manfredklein --co=thelogovals
> > > --ma --in
> > > Now the umlauts seem to be at weird position, so \"u does not work,
> > > I can get it with \char252, but that is ugly and gives more problems.
> > > How do I solve that in a nice way? I guess I would have to write
> > > an .enc-file?
> > \char252 is texnansi encoding; you have to setup context to use
> > this font encoding
> So how do I do this?
> It looks as it has been done for the font
> when I installed it, but when I try to use it as
> \definefont[TitleFont][texnansi-TheLogovals][encoding=texnansi]
> it does not work. Funnily enough, instead of the ü there is a
> u, so maybe it tries to construct the ü out of u + dieresis?

try \udiaeresis directly; does it work?

> > > Another problem is that I was trying to install the Scriptina font
> > > from www.apostrophiclab.com, but any time I run texfont on either
> > > the TTF or the Type 1 font, it hangs (vptovf runs and eats 100%
> > > cpu time, apparently doing nothing). But I guess this is not really
> > > ConTeXt related, anyone knows where I could report that bug?
> > don't know about vptovf, but i have installed Scriptina already
> > in ec-encoding using fontinst ( i use fontinst instead of texfont, since
> > it gives you more control). I can send you the files including support
> > for LaTeX and ConTeXt.
> That would be great! Is there a manual on fontinst and ConTeXt?
> I always thought fontinst was more aimed on LaTeX?

fontinst is completely unrelated to LaTeX, but it supports the creation
of LaTeX's font-definition files (.fd). This task for ConTeXt, the creation
of typescript files, you have to do yourself.

There is a manual for fontinst available, but the best about fontinst is:
CTAN:info/Type1fonts/fontinstallationguide.pdf

Jens