From: "Duncan Hothersall" <dh@capdm.com>
Cc: "Lei Wang" <wanglei@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: RE: Chinese - font utilities
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 15:38:06 -0000	[thread overview]

>  the fontutil can be download from
>  http://learn.tsinghua.edu.cn/homepage/015450/prog.html
>  there are windows/linux/solaris version and the name is gbkfonts now.
>  I think you can read this chinese web page.

Thank you very much, this solved the initial problem. (I'm not able to read
Chinese but Babelfish helped me understand what everything meant.)

>  there are a simple setup for chinese in context here:
>  http://bbs.ctex.org/cgi-bin/topic.cgi?forum=8&topic=28&show=90
>  also a chinese page.

Again very useful, thank you very much. I now have reached the following
stage:

I have the htsong.ttf TrueType font, a set of .tfm files generated from it,
and a set of .enc files to tie them together. I have added them all to my
texmf tree, along with the various recommended edits to the context/base
files, the .map files and so on. I ran texec --make and texhash without any
problem.

When I texexec a very small sample ConTeXt seems to be looking for a
different naming scheme for the files. I have generated a set of files
called

  gbsong01.tfm
  gbsong02.tfm
  gbsong94.tfm
  gbsongsl01.tfm
  gbsongsl94.tfm

but ConTeXt seems to rely on them being called

  gbsong81.tfm
  gbsongfe.tfm

and suchlike. I get lots of errors saying that the tfm files can't be found,
and then it starts trying to generate fonts using metafont, which is never
going to work...

Do I have to rename these files, or is there somewhere that I can edit to
change this dependency, or is my guess wrong and I actually have a different
problem?

Thanks very much. I have never used a TTF directly with pdftex before, I
hope it will work.

Duncan