* Introducing new fonts
@ 2001-06-20 14:48 Duncan Hothersall
From: Duncan Hothersall @ 2001-06-20 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm having lots of trouble introducing a new body font in ConTeXt. Before
streaming out my woes, I wonder if anyone recognises my symptoms as being
due to a common mistake:

My output has the correct fonts, but all the character spacing has gone
caput. Basically every character is set in a tight box, spaces don't show,
and vertical space between lines and paragraphs doesn't show either.

I've followed the steps set out in a previous message on this list about
installing a new font
(http://ml-archives.mini.pw.edu.pl/ntg-context/msg01903.html). I picked up
an already generated set of tfm and vf from the web. (Do I need vf for
ConTeXt?) The font is Bitstream Souvenir (Light and Demi).

This feels to me like a TFM problem, and I'm desperately fiddling, but if
anyone recognises this as a particular type of obvious boo-boo I'd be really
grateful for a pointer.

Thanks,

Duncan

* Re: Introducing new fonts
@ 2001-06-20 15:37 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-06-20 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 03:48 PM 6/20/01 +0100, Duncan Hothersall wrote:
>I'm having lots of trouble introducing a new body font in ConTeXt. Before
>streaming out my woes, I wonder if anyone recognises my symptoms as being
>due to a common mistake:
>
>My output has the correct fonts, but all the character spacing has gone
>caput. Basically every character is set in a tight box, spaces don't show,
>and vertical space between lines and paragraphs doesn't show either.
>
>I've followed the steps set out in a previous message on this list about
>installing a new font
>(http://ml-archives.mini.pw.edu.pl/ntg-context/msg01903.html). I picked up
>an already generated set of tfm and vf from the web. (Do I need vf for
>ConTeXt?) The font is Bitstream Souvenir (Light and Demi).

vf is a font issue not a context issue, actualy it's a dvi/pdf driver
issue; normally using an texnansi encoding vector when applying afm2tfm
works good;

did you put the vf's in the right place? did you run mktexlsr?

i have a perl script that can be of help and the font manual says some
things [although most of th emanual concerns the new type face layer]

Hans
                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* RE: Introducing new fonts
@ 2001-06-20 16:00   ` Duncan Hothersall
From: Duncan Hothersall @ 2001-06-20 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

> vf is a font issue not a context issue, actualy it's a dvi/pdf driver
> issue; normally using an texnansi encoding vector when applying afm2tfm
> works good;

I lazily picked up the tfm and vf files from CTAN since they already
existed. I'll regenerate them locally and see if that helps.

Sigh, haven't done this for years... now how does afm2tfm work again...

> did you put the vf's in the right place? did you run mktexlsr?

Yes, and yes.

> i have a perl script that can be of help and the font manual says some
> things [although most of th emanual concerns the new type face layer]

I'd welcome anything that might be of help, because once I've regenerated
the TFMs etc. I am stalled.

Many thanks for anything you can offer,

Duncan