* Chinese - font utilities
@ 2002-11-01 17:00 Duncan Hothersall
From: Duncan Hothersall @ 2002-11-01 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

[While the mailing list archive is down I can't search for previous answers
to this, so apologies if this is asked and answered already.]

I'd like to use the Chinese setting facility in ConTeXt, and am going
through the instructions given in the "Chinese in ConTeXt" manual. I'm
finding it very tough to locate the utilites needed to prepare the fonts.

In particular, I've been looking for 'chpfb' or 'gbpfb', which will enable
me to convert a TrueType font into several Type 1 fonts and corresponding
tfms, or the 'gbenc' shellscript which will enable me to create the
necessary tfms and encodings to use the ttf directly.

Unfortunately they are proving very difficult to track down in the locations
pointed to by the manual, which presumably are now out of date.

I have access to both Windows and Linux platforms to run these on, so if
anyone can point me at a place where I can now get them I'd be very
grateful. Even better, if someone actually has a working Chinese set-up, a
few pointers as to how you got there would be brilliant!

Many thanks.

Duncan

* Chinese - font utilities
@ 2002-11-02  5:16 Lei Wang
From: Lei Wang @ 2002-11-02  5:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

> [While the mailing list archive is down I can't search for previous answers
> to this, so apologies if this is asked and answered already.]
>
> I'd like to use the Chinese setting facility in ConTeXt, and am going
> through the instructions given in the "Chinese in ConTeXt" manual. I'm
> finding it very tough to locate the utilites needed to prepare the fonts.

 the fontutil can be download from
 http://learn.tsinghua.edu.cn/homepage/015450/prog.html
 there are windows/linux/solaris version and the name is gbkfonts now.
 I think you can read this chinese web page.

 > In particular, I've been looking for 'chpfb' or 'gbpfb', which will enable
 > me to convert a TrueType font into several Type 1 fonts and corresponding
 > tfms, or the 'gbenc' shellscript which will enable me to create the
 > necessary tfms and encodings to use the ttf directly.
 >
 > Unfortunately they are proving very difficult to track down in the locations
 > pointed to by the manual, which presumably are now out of date.
 >
 > I have access to both Windows and Linux platforms to run these on, so if
 > anyone can point me at a place where I can now get them I'd be very
 > grateful. Even better, if someone actually has a working Chinese set-up, a
 > few pointers as to how you got there would be brilliant!

 there are a simple setup for chinese in context here:
 http://bbs.ctex.org/cgi-bin/topic.cgi?forum=8&topic=28&show=90
 also a chinese page.

 Wang