From: "Duncan Hothersall" <dh@capdm.com>
Subject: RE: Chinese - font utilities
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 14:45:39 -0000	[thread overview]

> I think you may miss something when you reading the web page about
> setups in context. now you can do following steps:
> first, edit tex/context/base/font-uni.tex,
> comment out the following line:
> \defineucharmapping{GBK}#1#2%
>  {\unicodeposition=#1
>   \advance\unicodeposition -129
>   \multiply\unicodeposition 190
>   \advance\unicodeposition #2
>   \advance\unicodeposition-\ifnum#2>127 65\else64\fi
>   \dorepositionunicode}
>
> Or you can add these code to your cont-usr.tex.
>
> Then when you write tex files, add
> \def\currentucharmapping{GBK}
> before you using chinese. Or conveniently, put this command to your
> cont-usr.tex too.

Actually I already put both of these into cont-usr.tex and it had no effect.
But when I put these directly into my sample document it helped. It must be
something about my set-up which isn't reading my cont-usr.tex file either on
format creation or at run-time. I will look into it.

Anyway, with these in my document I then ran into one final problem, which I
was able to solve myself - the font definitions in font-chi.tex were mapping
to things like gbsong and gbhei, whereas the new generation utilities create
tfms and encodings called gbksong and gbkhei (i.e. an extra 'k'). Replacing
the references in font-chi.tex solved that problem and I am now able to
typeset beautiful Simplified Chinese glyphs! (I'm not clear whether this
should be classed as a bug in font-chi.tex, since you can also change the
naming in the generation utilities.)

Thanks for all your help so far, it's looking good. I'm sure I will have
more queries from now on!

Duncan