From: "Duncan Hothersall" <dh@capdm.com>
Subject: RE: MathML questions (long)
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 11:48:47 +0100	[thread overview]

> >1. How can I fix an entity not being rendered? When I use, e.g.
> unicode 22C5
> >(a &cdot;), they come out as the word "sdot" in a frame. When I look in
> >base/xtag-meb.tex the definitions all look right (\defineMMLentity sdot
> >22C5 {\cdot} ...) but the output doesn't seem to work.
>
> hm, can you provide me an example source? (maybe this filter is
> not loaded
> at all)

\startXMLdata
<math>
\stopXMLdata

I haven't put anything particularly relevant in the preamble - should I do
something to make sure the filter gets loaded? Other entities, like &prime;
and suchlike, render perfectly. Thanks.

> >2. When using visual rather than semantic mark-up, large equations,
> >especially with mtable elements in them, seem to generate a lot of
> >
> >! Missing \right. inserted.
> >
> >errors. I can post code if necessary, but does this ring any bells?
>
> I need code indeed.

Okay; it's quite long and ugly. I have spaced it out here for clarity but in
the original it was all one line. This is code exported by MathType, which
is the pay-for upgrade of Word equation editor.

\startXMLdata
<formula>
  <math>
    <mtable>
      <mtr>
        <mtd>
          <msub>
            <mtext>W</mtext>
            <mi>i</mi>
          </msub>
          <mo>=</mo>
          <msup>
            <mi>&lambda;</mi>
            <mo>&prime;</mo>
          </msup>
          <msub>
            <mi>&tau;</mi>
            <mi>i</mi>
          </msub>
          <mrow>
            <mo>[</mo>
            <mrow>
              <mn>1</mn>
              <mo>+</mo>
              <mo>(</mo>
              <mi>&mu;</mi>
              <mo>/</mo>
              <msup>
                <mi>&lambda;</mi>
                <mo>&prime;</mo>
              </msup>
              <msub>
                <mi>&tau;</mi>
                <mi>i</mi>
              </msub>
              <mo>)</mo>
              <mo>(</mo>
              <msub>
                <mtext>Q</mtext>
                <mi>i</mi>
              </msub>
              <mo>&minus;</mo>
              <mi>&kappa;</mi>
              <mo>&sdot;</mo>
              <msub>
                <mtext>R</mtext>
                <mi>i</mi>
              </msub>
              <mo>)</mo>
            </mrow>
            <mo>]</mo>
          </mrow>
        </mtd>
      </mtr>
      <mtr>
        <mtd>
          <msub>
            <mtext>W</mtext>
            <mi>n</mi>
          </msub>
          <mo>=</mo>
          <msup>
            <mi>&lambda;</mi>
            <mo>&prime;</mo>
          </msup>
          <msub>
            <mi>&tau;</mi>
            <mi>n</mi>
          </msub>
          <mrow>
            <mo>[</mo>
            <mrow>
              <mn>1</mn>
              <mo>+</mo>
              <mo>(</mo>
              <mi>&mu;</mi>
              <mo>/</mo>
              <msup>
                <mi>&lambda;</mi>
                <mo>&prime;</mo>
              </msup>
              <msub>
                <mi>&tau;</mi>
                <mi>n</mi>
              </msub>
              <mo>)</mo>
              <mo>(</mo>
              <msub>
                <mtext>Q</mtext>
                <mi>n</mi>
              </msub>
              <mo>&minus;</mo>
              <mi>&kappa;</mi>
              <mo>&sdot;</mo>
              <msub>
                <mtext>R</mtext>
                <mi>n</mi>
              </msub>
              <mo>)</mo>
            </mrow>
            <mo>]</mo>
          </mrow>
        </mtd>
      </mtr>
    </mtable>
  </math>
</formula>
\stopXMLdata

The output I get is:

[25.5]
! Missing \right. inserted.
<inserted text>
                \right .
<to be read again>
                   $
\MMLpTABLEa ...LpTABLE \let \MMLpTD \MMLpTABLE #2$
                                                  }\fi \ifconditional
\mmlTA...
l.1 ...}}\xmlr {mo}{X}{}{)}}\xmlr {mo}{X}{}{]}}}}}
                                                  \empty \empty
\doXMLremapdata ...remappedXMLdata \empty \empty }
                                                  #3\stopXMLmapping \egroup
                                                   </formula>
<gobblespaceto...
l.2367 \stopXMLdata
                   {}If you multiply out each expression on the right hand
s...
I've inserted something that you may have forgotten.
(See the <inserted text> above.)
With luck, this will get me unwedged. But if you
really didn't forget anything, try typing `2' now; then
my insertion and my current dilemma will both disappear.

... repeated three times ...

! Missing \right. inserted.
<inserted text>
                \right .
<to be read again>
                   $
<template> $
            \hfil \endtemplate
\MMLpTR ... {\@col@amp@ }{#2}\the \XMLRtoks \crcr

<argument> ...r {mo}{X}{}{)}}\xmlr {mo}{X}{}{]}}}}
                                                  \xmlr {mtr}{X}{}{\xmlr
{mt...

\PLAINmatrix ...noalign {\kern -\baselineskip } #1
                                                  \crcr \mathstrut \crcr
\no...
[...]

\MMLpTABLEa ...e \let \next \matrix \fi \next {#2}
                                                  \endgroup