* Cross-references not showing
@ 2001-06-12  9:44 Duncan Hothersall
From: Duncan Hothersall @ 2001-06-12  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help.

I'm having a lot of difficulty trying to get cross-references to work. I've
tried all the permutations of the  different commands I can find, and keep
getting 'unknown reference' errors in my .log file and '??' appearing in my
output.

Here's some sample input:

--

You can find a suggested answer on \at{page}[X3ORD].

\subsubject[X3ORD]{Answer to SAQ 1.2}

This refuses to resolve into a page number. The same problem occurs if I use
just \at[X3ORD], \atpage[X3ORD], \ref[p][X3ORD], or any other combination I
can find in the docs.

On a related note, section number referencing doesn't seem to work either
(when I try it on a numbered section!).

I assumed therefore that this might have something to do with my set-up, but
as far as I can tell referencing is automatically set up as state=start.
Anyway, I tried explicitly putting in \setupreferencing[state=start] and
nothing changed.

Is there another set-up I should be looking at to solve these problems?

I'm using ConTeXt 2001.2.27 with pdfeTeX 3.14159-14f.

Thanks,

Duncan

* Re: Cross-references not showing
@ 2001-06-12  9:56 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-06-12  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 10:44 AM 6/12/01 +0100, Duncan Hothersall wrote:

>I'm having a lot of difficulty trying to get cross-references to work. I've
>tried all the permutations of the  different commands I can find, and keep
>getting 'unknown reference' errors in my .log file and '??' appearing in my
>output.

Before diving into this, how do you run context? If you use texexec, things
should work out of the box, if you run tex directly, you should run
"texutil --ref yourfile" between runs

Hans
                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* RE: Cross-references not showing
@ 2001-06-12 10:23   ` Duncan Hothersall
From: Duncan Hothersall @ 2001-06-12 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm using texexec, and it tends to do three passes each run.

I just ran it with \version[temporary] and it's showing the references being
called correctly and then later being set correctly, but still the ??
appear. It's confusing!

I wonder if it might be to do with the fact that I auto-generate the IDs for
these elements as part of a pre-translation from XML into ConTeXt. This
means that the IDs could be different at the start of a texexec run compared
to how they were on the last run. But I assumed that texexec takes care of
this and runs three passes to resolve the refs.

I will try using static IDs, but that's what I'm doing for section number
references and they don't work either...

Any pointers as to what to look at would be great!

Thanks,

Duncan

@ 2001-06-12 11:00     ` Duncan Hothersall
From: Duncan Hothersall @ 2001-06-12 11:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

No, making sure the IDs are the same hasn't changed anything, even if I run
texexec three times manually. The tuo file seems to have the references in
it, the tui file seems to have them, and I can make them show up using
\version[temporary], but I can't get them resolved.

Would the next step be upgrading to a newer version?

Duncan

@ 2001-06-12 12:46     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-06-12 12:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 11:23 AM 6/12/01 +0100, Duncan Hothersall wrote:
>I'm using texexec, and it tends to do three passes each run.
>
>I just ran it with \version[temporary] and it's showing the references being
>called correctly and then later being set correctly, but still the ??
>appear. It's confusing!
>
>I wonder if it might be to do with the fact that I auto-generate the IDs for
>these elements as part of a pre-translation from XML into ConTeXt. This
>means that the IDs could be different at the start of a texexec run compared
>to how they were on the last run. But I assumed that texexec takes care of
>this and runs three passes to resolve the refs.

\starttext

\chapter [hi there, is this a reference]{Some Fancy Title}

Does this show up: \in {number} [hi there]

And this: \at {page} [is this a reference]

\stoptext

Does this work?

@ 2001-06-12 12:47       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-06-12 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 12:00 PM 6/12/01 +0100, Duncan Hothersall wrote:
>No, making sure the IDs are the same hasn't changed anything, even if I run
>texexec three times manually. The tuo file seems to have the references in
>it, the tui file seems to have them, and I can make them show up using
>\version[temporary], but I can't get them resolved.
>
>Would the next step be upgrading to a newer version?

Can you send me a small example?

@ 2001-06-12 13:29       ` Duncan Hothersall
From: Duncan Hothersall @ 2001-06-12 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Hans Hagen

> \starttext
>
> \chapter [hi there, is this a reference]{Some Fancy Title}
>
> Does this show up: \in {number} [hi there]
>
> And this: \at {page} [is this a reference]
>
> \stoptext
>

> Does this work?
>
> Hans

Yes... Sorry, it must be something stupid I've done with my set-ups.

> Can you send me a small example?

Thanks. I'll go through it myself again to see if I can work out the mistake
I've made, otherwise I'll send you a non-working snippet.

Thanks very much.

Duncan

* RE: Cross-references not showing - SOLVED
@ 2001-06-12 14:21         ` Duncan Hothersall
From: Duncan Hothersall @ 2001-06-12 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Hans Hagen

Okay, I went through my setup files commenting out one line at a time until
it started working again, and have to admit to a really stupid error: I
defined a new heading called 'references' - for my bibliographies. This, of
course, messes up all the references-related ConTeXt commands.

I realise also that I should always use Capital Letters in newly defined
stuff for exactly this reason.

Sorry everyone for the noise.

Duncan