* Numbering
@ 2004-06-10 10:35 techw
From: techw @ 2004-06-10 10:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi All!
I need to supress the numbering in floating figures. I have used:

\definefloat[figure][figures]
\setupfloat[figure][location=middle]
\setupcaption
[figure]
[location=bottom,
style=\bfx,
number=no]

But this doesn't work. What do  I need to change?
Thanks and regards,
-priya.

* Re: Numbering
@ 2004-06-21 14:14 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2004-06-21 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

techw@siritech.com wrote:

>Hi All!
>I need to supress the numbering in floating figures. I have used:
>
>\definefloat[figure][figures]
>\setupfloat[figure][location=middle]
>\setupcaption
>[figure]
>[location=bottom,
>style=\bfx,
>number=no]
>
>But this doesn't work. What do  I need to change?
>Thanks and regards,

hm, here it works: no "figure n"

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Numbering
@ 2006-07-10 19:10   ` David Arnold
From: David Arnold @ 2006-07-10 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

OK,

Now, how can we get

\placeformula
\startformula
  f(x)=x^2
\stopformula

To use the same number scheme.

On Jul 10, 2006, at 11:47 AM, Hans Hagen wrote:

> David Arnold wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> Let's say I have some enumerations that are numbered, for
>> definitions, examples, theorems, etc. Let's say I want everything in
>> a section numbered consecutively, except figures. So, numbering would
>> proceed like this:
>>
>> Definition 1.1
>>
>> Where the first number is the section number.
>>
>> Now, by "consecutive," I mean:
>>
>> Definition 1.1
>>
>> f(x)=3x+2  (1.2)
>>
>> Example 1.3
>>
>> Definition 1.4
>>
>> Definition 1.5
>>
>> f(x)=x^2  (1.6)
>>
>> Figure 1
>>
>> Example 1.7
>>
>> Example 1.8
>>
>> Definition 1.9
>>
>> Figure 2
>>
>> etc.
>>
>> Hope this give the right idea.
>>
>> Question: What would be the "Context Way" to go about this?
>>
> \defineenumeration
>   [remark]
>   [location=serried,
>    width=broad,
>    text=Remark,
>    headstyle=bold,
>    inbetween=\blank,
>    before=\blank,
>    after=\blank,
>    way=bysection]
>
> \defineenumeration
>   [definition]
>   [remark]
>   [text=Definition]
>
> \starttext
>     \startremark
>        Foo
>     \stopremark
>     \startdefinition
>        Foo
>     \stopdefinition
>     \startremark
>        Foo
>     \stopremark
>     \startdefinition
>        Foo
>     \stopdefinition
> \stoptext

* Re: Numbering
@ 2006-07-10 18:49   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-07-10 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On 7/7/06, David Arnold wrote:
>
>> All,
>>
>> Let's say I have some enumerations that are numbered, for
>> definitions, examples, theorems, etc. Let's say I want everything in
>> a section numbered consecutively, except figures. So, numbering would
>> proceed like this:
>>

> Grrr ... I have exactly the opposite problem: I need the
> definitions/examples/problems/... to be numbered independent of each
> other, but I cannot get rid of coupling between these numbers.

\defineenumeration
  [remark]
  [text=Remark]

\defineenumeration
  [definition]
  [text=Definition]

\setupenumerations
  [remark,definition]
  [location=serried,
   width=broad,
   headstyle=bold,
   inbetween=\blank,
   before=\blank,
   after=\blank,
   way=bysection]

\starttext
    \startremark
       Foo
    \stopremark
    \startdefinition
       Foo
    \stopdefinition
    \startremark
       Foo
    \stopremark
    \startdefinition
       Foo
    \stopdefinition
\stoptext

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Numbering
@ 2006-07-10 18:47 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-07-10 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Arnold wrote:
> All,
>
> Let's say I have some enumerations that are numbered, for
> definitions, examples, theorems, etc. Let's say I want everything in
> a section numbered consecutively, except figures. So, numbering would
> proceed like this:
>
> Definition 1.1
>
> Where the first number is the section number.
>
> Now, by "consecutive," I mean:
>
> Definition 1.1
>
> f(x)=3x+2  (1.2)
>
> Example 1.3
>
> Definition 1.4
>
> Definition 1.5
>
> f(x)=x^2  (1.6)
>
> Figure 1
>
> Example 1.7
>
> Example 1.8
>
> Definition 1.9
>
> Figure 2
>
> etc.
>
> Hope this give the right idea.
>
> Question: What would be the "Context Way" to go about this?

\defineenumeration
  [remark]
  [location=serried,
   width=broad,
   text=Remark,
   headstyle=bold,
   inbetween=\blank,
   before=\blank,
   after=\blank,
   way=bysection]

\defineenumeration
  [definition]
  [remark]
  [text=Definition]

\starttext
    \startremark
       Foo
    \stopremark
    \startdefinition
       Foo
    \stopdefinition
    \startremark
       Foo
    \stopremark
    \startdefinition
       Foo
    \stopdefinition
\stoptext

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Numbering
@ 2006-07-07 21:00 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2006-07-07 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 7/7/06, David Arnold wrote:
> All,
>
> Let's say I have some enumerations that are numbered, for
> definitions, examples, theorems, etc. Let's say I want everything in
> a section numbered consecutively, except figures. So, numbering would
> proceed like this:

Grrr ... I have exactly the opposite problem: I need the
definitions/examples/problems/... to be numbered independent of each
other, but I cannot get rid of coupling between these numbers.

> Definition 1.1
>
> Where the first number is the section number.
>
> Now, by "consecutive," I mean:
>
> Definition 1.1
>
> f(x)=3x+2  (1.2)
>
> Example 1.3
>
> Definition 1.4
>
> Definition 1.5
>
> f(x)=x^2  (1.6)
>
> Figure 1
>
> Example 1.7
>
> Example 1.8
>
> Definition 1.9
>
> Figure 2
>
> etc.
>
> Hope this give the right idea.
>
> Question: What would be the "Context Way" to go about this?

I didn't know how to automatically increase the subsection number
after formulas, but the rest should be OK.

\setuphead
	[subsection]
	[after={\incrementnumber[formula]}]

\definehead
	[definition]
	[subsection]
\definehead
	[example]
	[subsection]

\setuplabeltext[en][definition=Definition ]
\setuplabeltext[en][example=Example ]

% or \setupfloat[figure][...]
\setupfloats
	[way=bysection,
	 location=top,
	 align=right]

\setupformulas
	[way=bysection]
	% after={\setupheadnumber[subsection][+1]},

\starttext

\section{First section}

\definition{}

\placeformula
\startformula
f(x)=3x+2
\stopformula
\setupheadnumber[subsection][+1]

\example{}
\definition{}
\definition{}

\placeformula
\startformula
f(x)=x^2
\stopformula
\setupheadnumber[subsection][+1]

\placefigure[here]{}{abc}
\example{}
\placefigure[here]{}{def}
\example{}
\definition{}

\stoptext

Mojca

* Re: Numbering
@ 2006-07-07  8:55 ` Ulf Martin
From: Ulf Martin @ 2006-07-07  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi

David Arnold schrieb:
> All,
>
> Let's say I have some enumerations that are numbered, for
> definitions, examples, theorems, etc. Let's say I want everything in
> a section numbered consecutively, except figures. So, numbering would
> proceed like this:

Here is a possible solution.

Idea:
- Define own counters
- Use section type with "ownnumber" option
- Wrap them suitably

Lets call "Definition"s, "Example"s etc by the name "Topic" and assume
you want to reset the topic number with each section.

Here is the code:

<contextcode>
%%%<Topic>

\newcount\SectionNum
\def\resetSection{\SectionNum=0}
\def\stepSection{\advance\SectionNum by 1 \resetTopic}
\def\theSection{\the\SectionNum}
\resetSection

\newcount\TopicNum
\def\resetTopic{\TopicNum=0}
\def\stepTopic{\advance\TopicNum by 1}
\def\theTopic{\theSection.\the\TopicNum}
\resetTopic

\definehead[TopicHead][section=section-7]
\setuphead[TopicHead]
    [ownnumber=yes,    % use own counter TopicNum
     % more setup
    ]

\def\Topic{\dotripleempty\doTopic}
% Usage: \Topic[topic type][topic text][label]
\def\doTopic[#1][#2][#3]{
    \stepTopic
    \ifthirdargument
       \TopicHead[#3]{#1~\theTopic}{ #2}%
    \else \ifsecondargument
       \TopicHead{#1~\theTopic}{ #2}%
    \else \iffirstargument
       \TopicHead{#1~\theTopic}{}%
    \else
       \TopicHead{\theTopic}{}%
    \fi \fi \fi}

%% Example for a convenient abbreviation:
%% \Def[...][...] instead of \Topic[Definition][...][...]

\def\Def{\dodoubleempty\doDef}
% Usage: \Def[title text][label]
\def\doDef[#1][#2]{
    \ifsecondargument
       \Topic[Definition][#1][#2]
    \else\iffirstargument
       \Topic[Definition][#1]
    \else
       \Topic[Definition]
    \fi\fi}

%% I don't know if one can access section counters directly
%% So we need a wrapper for the section level that resets the
%% topic counter.

\setuphead[section]
    [ownnumber=yes,
     % more setup
    ]

\def\Section{\dosingleempty\doSection}
% Usage: \Section[label]{title text}
\def\doSection[#1]#2{
    \stepSection
    \iffirstargument
       \section[#1]{\theSection}{#2}
    \else
       \section{\theSection}{#2}
    \fi}

%%%</Topic>

%%% Example

\starttext

\Section{Things Going Wrong}

\Def[(Murphy's Law)][law:murphy]
Everything that can go wrong will go wrong sometime.

\Topic[Example][(Bread of Butter)]
An example for \in[law:murphy] is that a bread of butter falling off a
table universally lands with the buttered side on the carpet.

\Section{Motion}

\Def[(Silly Walk)][def:sillywalk]
Silly walking is a kind of walking made up of motions that do not
necessarily contribute to the advancement of the walker.

\Topic[Corollary][][cor:goosestep]
Goose-step is a type of silly walking as defined in \in[def:sillywalk].

\Topic[Remark]
Prussians and Bolshewists may not agree with \in[cor:goosestep].

\stoptext

</contextcode>

(I had a similar problem: I wanted a type of sections with a numbering
only affected by specified other structural elements.)

The solution is probably not the most ConTeXt-like -- I am still on my
way from LaTeX...

Question to TeX experts: in the context of the above, how would one
properly define a command like

    \ProvideTopicType[Definition]{Def}

after which

    \Def[(Murphy's Law)]