* Re: suggestions for context documentation
@ 2010-03-05 10:33 richard.stephens
From: richard.stephens @ 2010-03-05 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

* Re: suggestions for context documentation
@ 2010-03-09 13:25 Victor Eijkhout
From: Victor Eijkhout @ 2010-03-09 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

> \startitem Even an old manual can quite well describe
> functionality as much didn't change. It's only with \MKIV\ that
> some compatibility is dropped and only for obscure features. Of
> course I could trick users by regenerating a manual with a newer
> date. I often use the excellent book \quote {\TEX\ by Topic} which
> is already quite old and does not cover \ETEX, \PDFTEX, \LUATEX\
> or whatever but what is told in it is still true. I never look at
> it thinking it being old. \stopitem

Hans,

thanks for the compliments.

Let me point out that the source of TeX by Topic is available under
the Gnu Public Documentation License, so anyone should feel free to
add modern TeX additions to it. Personally I feel that the eTeX &
pdTeX additions are mature enough that they could be added, of course
with suitable markers to indicate their non-standardness. I don't have
the time for this, but I'd welcome a collaboration with anyone that
wants to invest the time.

Victor.

[parent not found: <mailman.647.1267779271.26807.ntg-context@ntg.nl>]
* suggestions for context documentation
@ 2010-03-05  2:10 Michael Saunders
       [not found] ` <771da05a1003041822r1b056820jd198170aee3ab95@mail.gmail.com>
                   ` (5 more replies)
From: Michael Saunders @ 2010-03-05  2:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

> You mean like the beginner's manual
>
> http://www.pragma-ade.com/general/manuals/ms-cb-en.pdf
>
> and the user manual
>
> http://www.pragma-ade.com/general/manuals/cont-eni.pdf

> amongst 46 others by Pragma

No, not like those.  I mean like a real manual.  I read the book
about Hasselt---a few examples without explanations.
I've looked at most of the fifty or so documents over which
this virtual manual is supposed to be spread.  They are about
as informative.  Most of these documents seem to be 5--12
years old.  The wiki is even more patchy.  The idea that a
computer manual is something that exists implicitly in the
discussions of a mailing list is a new idea to me.

You can't be serious about "mk.pdf" being a manual.  Even it
admits, "This document is not so much a users manual as a
history of the development."  Little after that point is intelligible.

Compared with the clear, abundant documentation of the
LaTeX world, Context seems like a secret that a small club is
trying to keep.  It's not even clear from the manuals that
development is ongoing, much less that there is some advantage
in using it.

So, will there ever be a manual to MK IV?  In how many years?

* suggestions for context documentation
@ 2010-03-04 21:31 Michael Saunders
From: Michael Saunders @ 2010-03-04 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

The important thing is:  is there _ever_ going to be a manual?   I
want to try Context, but I've been putting it off for years because
it's not really practical without documentation.  There must be many
others in the same situation.

* suggestions for context documentation
@ 2010-03-04 14:41 Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2010-03-04 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ConTeXt list

Hello,

These suggestions are a bit a reply to the thoughts of James Fisher.

It would be nice, to have once in the future at least 2 up to date context
documentations:

- a context user manual
For me, it's the merge of all scattered articles and manuals. Each chapter
treats a particular subject, such as "columns" or "footnotes".
It seems, that Taco is working on such a manual.

- a context command reference manual
This is just the xml-database used by texshow. Each command should be
described in detail with every possible options.
On the one hand, texshow uses this database, on the other hand a well
structured command reference can be generated as pdf-file.

Filling in all the details in both projects is a lot of work, so perhaps it
would be a good idea, to set up a system, that makes it easy for users to
contribute to these projects (patches) and easy for Taco and Hans to
acknowledge or reject those patches.

This "system" would be nothing else as some vcs (git or svn for example)
with some commit-hooks, that manage the acknowledgement by Hans and Taco
(and perhaps others).

The tex-files of the user-manual are already under version control, and the
xml-database is only the cont-en.xml file, that would need to be put under
version control too.

So, perhaps with not too much effort, users can be easily invited to
contribute to the documentation projects and the quality can be assured
through the acknowledgements of the developers.

Cheers, Peter

--
Contact information: http://pmrb.free.fr/contact/