* [ConTeXt] Footnoteproblems, bTABLE problems
@ 2002-01-03 10:51 Tobias Burnus
From: Tobias Burnus @ 2002-01-03 10:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

has someone a good idea for workarounds for:

a) Footnotes in \midaligned{foo\footnote{}}
(The number appears, but not the footnote text (definition)

b) Footnotes in TABLE, they apprear at least 3 times
(as local as well as global footnotes)

c) I use TABLE with nr and nc. nr works ok, but for nc the text cannot
extend the width of one cell (the border is usually drawn correctly)

I need to find fixes or work around very soon:
- Internal deadline: This evening
- Extended deadline: Tomorrow
- Big printing (ultimately latest deadline): Monday morning at 9.00.00.

I would prefer not do do fixes on Sunday night since these may change the
hyphenation etc. which coses tons of time...

Tobias

* Re: [ConTeXt] Footnoteproblems, bTABLE problems
       [not found]   ` <Pine.BSF.4.30.0201031615370.28125-100000@george.physik.fu- berlin.de>
@ 2002-01-04  9:24     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-01-04  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Tobias Burnus, ntg-context

At 08:09 PM 1/3/2002 +0100, Tobias Burnus wrote:
>Hi Hans,
>
> > Hi impatient Tobias ...
>;-) Well at the moment I'm really under pressure, but you seem to be under
>pressure as well.
>(Here the question was asked: LaTeX is still more stable, isn't it? And I
>have the feeling that this is not completely wrong ...)

it depends on what features you use;

- latex has a relatively small kernel compared to context; on the other
hand there is quite some code in context that can be considered stable and
not touched frequently

- you are one of the users using recent code and new features; these can
have an 'under construction' tag;

- some features - like tricky footnote stuff - will always be fragile due
to the way tex works; take footnotes inside boxes; i use some tricks to
move them to the outer level, but testing (and improving) this is a matter
of time; another problem with footnotes is that one has to apply some magic
in order to 'reprocess' them under a different layout regime (which happens
in the case of local footnotes or text/par notes).

- other code is stable but incomplete, for instance transparency support:
by using it i find the border cases and can improve things; as with fonts,
color is sensitive for local / mvl usage but i think that currently it works ok

- occasionally i'm speeding up some code, and there i hope that
compatibility is not broken

i have no experience with latex apart from the versions around 1990 but if
i look at the amount of problems reported at the pdftex list ... you
probably should compare context with latex+manypackages

> > i fixed that (aproximation btw); there are a few places in context where
> > multiple passes over content are done, i such cases one can use
> > \iftrialtypesetting to catch unwanted behavior. I kind of built it into
> > TABLE now, so your case should work;
>It does  :-)

that's another thing: preventing redundant processing; take a box that ends
up on more pages that has toc entries embedded (this is a problem that is
related to working on spreads and i will solve it some day soon; again this
would be easier with a couple of low level tex features)

> > >c) I use TABLE with nr and nc. nr works ok, but for nc the text cannot
> > >extend the width of one cell (the border is usually drawn correctly)
> >
> > for that i need a minimal example (and time)
>here comes one. By the way the time problem applies also to me ...
>but I hope that I can work around that problem.

ok, keep in mind that the TABLE support is tricky in the sense that one has to

- do wild guesses about the content
- do prerolls to determine dimensions
- permit color, spacing etc
- support backgrounds, frames etc
- apply decimal alignment etc

all kind of progrwammed from scratch without help from tex's unidirectional
alignment features.

>Tobias
>
>Example:
>--------------
>\bTABLE
>\bTR
>  \bTH foo \eTH
>  \bTH This is a very, very, very really long cell \eTH
>\eTR
>\bTR
>  \bTD[nc=2] This is also a very, very, very really long combined cell\eTD
>\eTR
>\eTABLE
>\bye
>----------------
>The first column is very wide, but need to be if the text of the [nc=2]
>cell would also be shown under the second column.

i'll have a look; looks like the span is ignored (you can set
option=stretch to get it working but that's not meant for that purpose); i
think something got lost when i added some config options; because there
are some preferemces/decissions involved, i want to make things
configurable (maybe strategoes some day). I'll send you a fix (please let
me know if it breaks other code).

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: [ConTeXt] Footnoteproblems, bTABLE problems
@ 2002-01-03 19:09   ` Tobias Burnus
       [not found]   ` <Pine.BSF.4.30.0201031615370.28125-100000@george.physik.fu- berlin.de>
From: Tobias Burnus @ 2002-01-03 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Tobias Burnus, ntg-context

Hi Hans,

       [not found] <Pine.BSF.4.30.0201031144440.53705-100000@jerry.physik.fu-b erlin.de>
@ 2002-01-03 12:11 ` Hans Hagen
       [not found]   ` <Pine.BSF.4.30.0201031615370.28125-100000@george.physik.fu- berlin.de>
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-01-03 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Hi impatient Tobias ...

has someone a good idea for workarounds for:

>a) Footnotes in \midaligned{foo\footnote{}}
>(The number appears, but not the footnote text (definition)

this is due to inserst not capable of migrating from nested boxes (tex
limitation); postponing and flusging notes works ok; will send you
alternative for your code using head's (which have it built in).

\definehead[Tobias][title] \setuphead[Tobias][align=middle]

\Tobias{Fachschaftsinitiative Physik \footnote{some kind of footnote}}

>b) Footnotes in TABLE, they apprear at least 3 times
>(as local as well as global footnotes)

i fixed that (aproximation btw); there are a few places in context where
multiple passes over content are done, i such cases one can use
\iftrialtypesetting to catch unwanted behavior. I kind of built it into
TABLE now, so your case should work;

actually, that was easy, but the fuzzy flush of footnotes in legends took
me more than this morning -)

\startlocalfootnotes[n=0,location={text,none}] % watch the 0 i.e. no
formatting, and none, i.e. no boxing

\placetable
   {Schematischer Studienaufbau des Sommersemesters 1994 [3].}
   {\placelegend[n=2]{\getbuffer}{\placelocalfootnotes}}            % watch
the n=2, columns here

\stoplocalfootnotes

>c) I use TABLE with nr and nc. nr works ok, but for nc the text cannot
>extend the width of one cell (the border is usually drawn correctly)

for that i need a minimal example (and time)

>I need to find fixes or work around very soon:
>- Internal deadline: This evening
>- Extended deadline: Tomorrow
>- Big printing (ultimately latest deadline): Monday morning at 9.00.00.
>
>I would prefer not do do fixes on Sunday night since these may change the
>hyphenation etc. which coses tons of time...

sorry for delays, my time is limited (have to go to the usa next week for
the texpeople-adobe pdf-meeting and need to prepare a few things)

I will send you a new zip (and cross my fingers that i didn't break code)