From: "George N. White III" <WhiteG@mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca>
Cc: "George N. White III" <WhiteG@mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca>,
Subject: Re: texfont bad mode (755->0755) for mkdir, missing map line
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 12:11:00 -0400 (AST)	[thread overview]

On Tue, 13 Nov 2001, Hans Hagen wrote:

> At 08:28 PM 11/12/2001 -0400, George N. White III wrote:
> >I've just started using texfont, version=2000.12.14, (from the Sept. 14th
> >beta), and encountered a couple minor problems:
> >
> >1) The line with mkdir:
> >
> >   { my $str = shift ; mkdir $str, 0755 unless -d $str }
> >
> >originally used a mode off '755', which gives bad permissions
> >for the directories texfont creates.
>
> so the 0 really means something (i thought that perl would see it as a
> number and drop leading 0's)

The 0 means the number is octal (unless followed by an 'x', which gives
hexadecimal).  The unix chmod command takes an octal mode (without the
leading '0'!), so it is customary to think of unix permissions in terms
of octal values:

  chmod ugo [filename|dirname]

   where u, g, and o are octal digits (e.g., 0-7),  where
        1=execute only
        2=write only
        4=read only

    u -- permission for users
    g -- permission for group
    o -- permission for others

  Directories need execute permission, so a typical mode value is
  644 for files and 755 for directories (6=2+4 gives read/write
  permission, 7=6+1 adds execute permission).

> >2)  The actual map files are always missing the first line shown in the
> >encoding-vendor-collection.map file.
>
> i'll send you the latest version so that you can test it;

Got it, and it is exactly the same as what I have been using (e.g.,
from the Sept. beta with 755->0755).  I'll try to track down the
reason for the missing map line.

--
George N. White III <gnw3@acm.org> Bedford Institute of Oceanography