From: "George N. White III" <WhiteG@mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca>
Cc: Giuseppe Bilotta <bourbaki@bigfoot.com>, <ntg-context@ntg.nl>
Subject: Re: More font problems -- CMTT instead of Courier
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2001 12:35:43 -0400 (AST)	[thread overview]

On Thu, 27 Dec 2001, Hans Hagen wrote:

> >\starttypescript [sans] [courier] [name]
> >
> >should read
> >
> >\starttypescript [mono] [courier] [name]
>
> Whow, that's indeed a stupid bug.

Well, some of us prefer cmtt over Courier! Some "bugs" really are
features!

Courier exaggerates line break problems with long URL's or embedded source
code (I often use ProTex literate programming to document source code) and
lacks cmtt's "space" character which is useful in situations (e.g.,
Fortran formatted input files) where spaces are significant.

I stopped working with typescripts while trying to get context working
under Win32. Now that I have the 20011201 teTeX beta nearly running in
Cygwin I can start thinking about typescript's again.

Two things I often need are a (fake) caps font and (now) cmtt (e.g.,
instead of Courier). I can enable a caps font generated using fontutil by
redefining a few things right in my files, but I don't seem to be able to
make such tweaks work via a typescript file. The examples in the manuals
show how to add new fonts, but aren't as clear about what is needed when
you only want to make a small change to one of the predefined fonts. Now
that I have two things to tweak it makes more sense to create a new
typescript.

--
George N. White III <gnw3@acm.org> Bedford Institute of Oceanography