* t-rsteps and starttyping
@ 2005-06-24 16:41 Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2005-06-24 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,
could somebody help me with the following problem please?

With the following test file, I get the error
"ERROR: Illegal parameter number in definition of \verbatimline."

\usemodule[rsteps]
\starttext
\StartSteps
\starttyping
hallo
\stoptyping
\NextStep
hallo
\StopSteps
\stoptext

Greetings, Peter

--
http://pmrb.free.fr/contact/

* Re: t-rsteps and starttyping
@ 2005-06-25 11:08 ` Otared KAVIAN
From: Otared KAVIAN @ 2005-06-25 11:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 6/24/05, Peter Münster <pmlists@free.fr> wrote:
> Hello,
> could somebody help me with the following problem please?
>
> With the following test file, I get the error
> "ERROR: Illegal parameter number in definition of \verbatimline."
>
> \usemodule[rsteps]
> \starttext
> \StartSteps
> \starttyping
> hallo
> \stoptyping
> \NextStep
> hallo
> \StopSteps
> \stoptext

Hi Peter,

Don't know why \starttyping creates the problem, but the following
works (by the way note \StartSteps has an argument, see below).

Best regards: OK
%% steps and \type
\usemodule[rsteps]
\usemodule[pre-original]

\startbuffer[hallo] %% define a buffer named hallo
Hallo from buffer
\stopbuffer

\starttext
\StartSteps[Test]   %% \StartSteps needs an argument
					%% used as the title of the slide

%\NextStep %% this is optional...
\typebuffer[hallo] %% instead of \starttyping...\stoptyping

\NextStep
hallo 1

\NextStep
hallo 2

\NextStep
hallo 3

\StopSteps

* Re: t-rsteps and starttyping
@ 2005-06-25 11:42   ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2005-06-25 11:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005, Otared KAVIAN wrote:

> \startbuffer[hallo] %% define a buffer named hallo
> Hallo from buffer
> \stopbuffer

Hi Otared,
the problem is, that for some reasons, I don't want to use buffers here...

> \StartSteps[Test]   %% \StartSteps needs an argument
> 					%% used as the title of the slide

It's an optional argument.

Cheers, Peter

--
http://pmrb.free.fr/contact/

* Re: t-rsteps and starttyping
@ 2005-06-27 10:56   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-06-27 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Otared KAVIAN wrote:
> On 6/24/05, Peter Münster <pmlists@free.fr> wrote:
>
>>Hello,
>>could somebody help me with the following problem please?
>>
>>With the following test file, I get the error
>>"ERROR: Illegal parameter number in definition of \verbatimline."

take a look at s-pre-60+ for an alternative

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: t-rsteps and starttyping
@ 2005-06-27 22:06 ` David Munger
From: David Munger @ 2005-06-27 22:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Peter,

I'm currently not at home. I'll be back next week and then I'll try to
figure out what happens.

Regards,

David

Peter Münster :
> Hello,
> could somebody help me with the following problem please?
>
> With the following test file, I get the error
> "ERROR: Illegal parameter number in definition of \verbatimline."
>
> \usemodule[rsteps]
> \starttext
> \StartSteps
> \starttyping
> hallo
> \stoptyping
> \NextStep
> hallo
> \StopSteps
> \stoptext
>
> Greetings, Peter

* Re: t-rsteps and starttyping
@ 2005-06-28 18:16     ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2005-06-28 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005, Hans Hagen wrote:

> >>could somebody help me with the following problem please?
> >>
> >>With the following test file, I get the error
> >>"ERROR: Illegal parameter number in definition of \verbatimline."
>
> take a look at s-pre-60+ for an alternative

Hello Hans,

I've tried it out, but it works only with very new Acroread versions and I
had trouble going back and forth some pages and steps. It seems, that it
works only well, when going through the presentation the first time.

t-rsteps is exactly, what I need: subpagenumbers, and working with every
viewer.

Perhaps David has some hint?

Cheers, Peter

--
http://pmrb.free.fr/contact/

* Re: t-rsteps and starttyping
@ 2005-09-12 17:04   ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2005-09-12 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005, David Munger wrote:

> I'm currently not at home. I'll be back next week and then I'll try to
> figure out what happens.

Hi David,
have you already found something?
Regards, Peter

--
http://pmrb.free.fr/contact/

* Re: t-rsteps and starttyping
@ 2005-09-12 21:57     ` David Munger
From: David Munger @ 2005-09-12 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Peter,

I am very sorry, I had completely forgotten about that issue. It boils
down to the following:

\long\def\StartLong#1\StopLong{#1}

\starttext
\StartLong
\starttyping
hallo
\stoptyping
\StopLong
\stoptext

This will produce no error, but no output as well. Maybe we could use
some alternate mechanism to define the \StartLong...\StopLong pair.
However, this is beyond my knowledge. Hans?

Regards,

David

Le Monday 12 September 2005 à 19:04 +0200, Peter Münster a écrit :
> On Mon, 27 Jun 2005, David Munger wrote:
>
> > I'm currently not at home. I'll be back next week and then I'll try to
> > figure out what happens.
>
> Hi David,
> have you already found something?
> Regards, Peter

* Re: t-rsteps and starttyping
@ 2005-09-21 12:38       ` Christopher Creutzig
From: Christopher Creutzig @ 2005-09-21 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Munger wrote:
> \long\def\StartLong#1\StopLong{#1}
>
> \starttext
> \StartLong
> \starttyping
> hallo
> \stoptyping
> \StopLong
> \stoptext
>
> This will produce no error, but no output as well. Maybe we could use
> some alternate mechanism to define the \StartLong...\StopLong pair.

\def\StartLong{}
\def\StopLong{}

 Or, if you insist on having the argument,

\long\def\StartLong#1\StopLong{\scantokens{#1}}

should work.

Christopher

* Re: t-rsteps and starttyping
@ 2005-09-21 14:00         ` David Munger
                             ` (2 more replies)
From: David Munger @ 2005-09-21 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le Mercredi 21 septembre 2005 à 14:38 +0200, Christopher Creutzig a
écrit :
> David Munger wrote:
> > \long\def\StartLong#1\StopLong{#1}
> >
> > \starttext
> > \StartLong
> > \starttyping
> > hallo
> > \stoptyping
> > \StopLong
> > \stoptext
> >
> > This will produce no error, but no output as well. Maybe we could use
> > some alternate mechanism to define the \StartLong...\StopLong pair.
>
> \def\StartLong{}
> \def\StopLong{}
>
>  Or, if you insist on having the argument,

I do need the argument. Its use is repeated in the real macro.

> \long\def\StartLong#1\StopLong{\scantokens{#1}}

This produces no output as well. texexec says:
No pages of output.

Thanks anyway.

David

* Re: t-rsteps and starttyping
@ 2005-09-21 14:13           ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2005-09-21 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

\starttyping needs to be followed by a newline, but macro
arguments cannot contain newlines unless \obeylines is in
effect. So:

   \def\StartLong{\begingroup\obeylines\doStartLong}
   \long\def\doStartLong#1\StopLong{\scantokens{#1}\endgroup}

Cheers,

Taco

David Munger wrote:

> I do need the argument. Its use is repeated in the real macro.
>

>>\long\def\StartLong#1\StopLong{\scantokens{#1}}
>

> This produces no output as well. texexec says:
> No pages of output.
>
> Thanks anyway.
>
> David

* Re: t-rsteps and starttyping
@ 2005-09-21 22:16             ` David Munger
From: David Munger @ 2005-09-21 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks Taco,

This solution works in that particular case.

Unfortunately, the \StartLong macro is not meant only for producing
line-wise content. In the general case, it contains something else than
just \starttyping block.

David

Le Mercredi 21 septembre 2005 à 16:13 +0200, Taco Hoekwater a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> \starttyping needs to be followed by a newline, but macro
> arguments cannot contain newlines unless \obeylines is in
> effect. So:
>
>    \def\StartLong{\begingroup\obeylines\doStartLong}
>    \long\def\doStartLong#1\StopLong{\scantokens{#1}\endgroup}
>
> Cheers,
>
> Taco
>
> David Munger wrote:
> >
> > I do need the argument. Its use is repeated in the real macro.
> >

> >>\long\def\StartLong#1\StopLong{\scantokens{#1}}
> >

> > This produces no output as well. texexec says:
> > No pages of output.
> >
> > Thanks anyway.
> >
> > David

* Re: t-rsteps and starttyping
@ 2005-09-22  6:56               ` Christopher Creutzig
From: Christopher Creutzig @ 2005-09-22  6:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Munger wrote:

> Unfortunately, the \StartLong macro is not meant only for producing
> line-wise content. In the general case, it contains something else than
> just \starttyping block.

 Please try this:

\bgroup

\catcode`\^^M=\active

\gdef\StartLong{\begingroup\obeylines\let^^M^^J\doStartLong}

\egroup

\def\doStartLong#1\StopLong{%
  \setbuffer[x]#1\endbuffer
  \endgroup
  \getbuffer[x]
}

\starttext
\StartLong
\starttyping
abcde
\stoptyping

and now
for something
completely different

\StopLong
\stoptext

Christopher

* Re: t-rsteps and starttyping
@ 2005-09-22 15:24                 ` David Munger
From: David Munger @ 2005-09-22 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Christopher,

This was the right way. Thanks a lot!

Still, I don't understand how the \starttyping macro gets to work if ^^M
is redefined as ^^J.

I will tell Patrick to update the module on the garden. Meanwhile, you
can get the updated version on my site:
http://cfd.homelinux.org/tex/

David

Le Jeudi 22 septembre 2005 à 08:56 +0200, Christopher Creutzig a écrit :
> David Munger wrote:
>
> > Unfortunately, the \StartLong macro is not meant only for producing
> > line-wise content. In the general case, it contains something else than
> > just \starttyping block.
>
>  Please try this:
>
> \bgroup
>
> \catcode`\^^M=\active
>
> \gdef\StartLong{\begingroup\obeylines\let^^M^^J\doStartLong}
>
> \egroup
>
> \def\doStartLong#1\StopLong{%
>   \setbuffer[x]#1\endbuffer
>   \endgroup
>   \getbuffer[x]
> }
>

> \starttext
> \StartLong
> \starttyping
> abcde
> \stoptyping
>
> and now
> for something
> completely different
>
> \StopLong
> \stoptext
>

> Christopher

* Re: t-rsteps and starttyping
@ 2005-09-22 16:56                   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-09-22 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Munger wrote:

>Hi Christopher,
>
>This was the right way. Thanks a lot!
>
>Still, I don't understand how the \starttyping macro gets to work if ^^M
>is redefined as ^^J.

why exactly do you need this construct; there may be other ways to do it;

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: t-rsteps and starttyping
@ 2005-09-22 20:02                     ` David Munger
From: David Munger @ 2005-09-22 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans,

The RawSteps module produces virtual slides with stepping, by rendering
the step incrementally on successive pages. Thus, the
\StartSteps...\StopSteps macro has to expand its argument (i.e. the
content of the slide) a certain number of times, depending the number of
requested steps. Of course, it shows only the relevant parts at each
step.

To allow this, I had to work around page numbers, formula numbers, and
lately \starttyping blocks.

If you could suggest a better way to achieve this multiple expansion, it
would be welcome.

Regards,

David

> why exactly do you need this construct; there may be other ways to do it;
>
> Hans

* Re: t-rsteps and starttyping
@ 2005-09-22 20:39                       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-09-22 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Munger wrote:

>Hans,
>
>The RawSteps module produces virtual slides with stepping, by rendering
>the step incrementally on successive pages. Thus, the
>\StartSteps...\StopSteps macro has to expand its argument (i.e. the
>content of the slide) a certain number of times, depending the number of
>requested steps. Of course, it shows only the relevant parts at each
>step.
>
>To allow this, I had to work around page numbers, formula numbers, and
>lately \starttyping blocks.
>
>If you could suggest a better way to achieve this multiple expansion, it
>would be welcome.

did you ever try

  texexec --mode=demo s-pre-61

using 'layers' is rather robust (no duplicate pages and such);

Some of the older presentation styles build the pages stepwise, they use either boxes, or buffers (i must look into it, but there is also one that plugs into the otr; in your case, collecting in a box and uncopying it is probably the best method.

there is no general robust solution for this that does not messes up something so it depends on the kin df presentation

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: t-rsteps and starttyping
@ 2005-09-23  2:34                         ` David Munger
From: David Munger @ 2005-09-23  2:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen:
> did you ever try
>
>   texexec --mode=demo s-pre-61
>
> using 'layers' is rather robust (no duplicate pages and such);

Of course, I did. The only issue is about JavaScript, which does not
work in most non-Acrobat PDF readers. This is the purpose of the
RawSteps module: to avoid using JavaScript.

> Some of the older presentation styles build the pages stepwise, they
> use either boxes, or buffers (i must look into it, but there is also
> one that plugs into the otr; in your case, collecting in a box and
> uncopying it is probably the best method.

Do you mean with \setbox-like commands? I'll have a look at it. Thanks
for the suggestion.

David

* Re: t-rsteps and starttyping
@ 2005-09-23  7:11                           ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2005-09-23  7:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Munger wrote:
> Hans Hagen:
>
>>did you ever try
>>
>>  texexec --mode=demo s-pre-61
>>
>>using 'layers' is rather robust (no duplicate pages and such);

Duplicated pages are the desired/intentional behaviour of this module
(noone would object having a switch to choose between the method with
JavaScript and the one with duplicated pages, but already now the module
almost perfectly suits the needs).

>>Some of the older presentation styles build the pages stepwise, they
>>use either boxes, or buffers (i must look into it, but there is also
>>one that plugs into the otr; in your case, collecting in a box and
>>uncopying it is probably the best method.
>

> Do you mean with \setbox-like commands? I'll have a look at it. Thanks
> for the suggestion.

This method would solve a couple of problems, but is it possible to get
half of a paragraph on the first slide and finish it on the second slide
this way (by doing acrobatics with boxes)?

Mojca

* Re: t-rsteps and starttyping
@ 2005-09-23  8:51                         ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2005-09-23  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005, Hans Hagen wrote:

> Some of the older presentation styles build the pages stepwise, they use
> either boxes, or buffers (i must look into it, but there is also one that
> plugs into the otr; in your case, collecting in a box and uncopying it is
> probably the best method.
>
> there is no general robust solution for this that does not messes up
> something so it depends on the kin df presentation

When I used LaTeX, I used prosper and seminar for presentations.
(some results: http://pmrb.free.fr/prosper/
  and http://pmrb.free.fr/work/cours/ )
There was no JavaScript but it was really robust: no problems with
equations, figures, listings etc. Perhaps it is possible to copy their
mechanisms?
Cheers, Peter

--
http://pmrb.free.fr/contact/

* Re: t-rsteps and starttyping
@ 2005-09-23 10:46                           ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-09-23 10:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

� wrote:

>On Thu, 22 Sep 2005, Hans Hagen wrote:
>

>>Some of the older presentation styles build the pages stepwise, they use
>>either boxes, or buffers (i must look into it, but there is also one that
>>plugs into the otr; in your case, collecting in a box and uncopying it is
>>probably the best method.
>>
>>there is no general robust solution for this that does not messes up
>>something so it depends on the kin df presentation
>>

>When I used LaTeX, I used prosper and seminar for presentations.
>(some results: http://pmrb.free.fr/prosper/
>  and http://pmrb.free.fr/work/cours/ )
>There was no JavaScript but it was really robust: no problems with
>equations, figures, listings etc. Perhaps it is possible to copy their
>mechanisms?

many latex packages coem down to 'redefining low level things'

also, when collecting and flushing pieces of content, spacing is a tricky business (watch closely to presentations made quick and you'll notice those side effects)

my approach to presentations is that (normally) they should be rather simple, and the style and (either or not stepwise) approach depends on the content, presentation and audience, which in practice means that i don't use general solutions (apart from the fact that i don't like things looking the same; just as one can recognize a powerpoint presentation, one can recognize a beamer one -)

so, the only thing that i can do with respect to supporting general puspose step-wise presentations is to provide hooks and configuration options;

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: t-rsteps and starttyping
@ 2005-09-23 13:21                             ` Christopher Creutzig
From: Christopher Creutzig @ 2005-09-23 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen wrote:
> also, when collecting and flushing pieces of content, spacing is a
> tricky business (watch closely to presentations made quick and you'll
> notice those side effects)

 That is why ppower4 is such a nice alternative:  It inserts just some
pdf comments and otherwise leaves the typesetting alone.  Then a
postprocessor takes the pdf file and creates a new one, with everything
left at its original position, but appearing only on the pages (a slide
is built up by jumping to the next page) where it is supposed to appear.

> the content, presentation and audience, which in practice means that i
> don't use general solutions (apart from the fact that i don't like

 Well, a general solution for the isolated requiement of “having
considered content, audience and everything, I want my text/gfx/
whatever appear step-wise“ would be a good thing, imho.  And I did in
the past also use things like removing the full stop when stepping from

   This implies A.

   This implies A and therefore, B.

 I have also seen a presentation where the speaker sketched a proof of
some lemma, then generelized it and simply exchanged the relevant words
in the lemma.  The new words were shorter, so there was some space to
the left and right of them and they had some contrast color.  The effect
was not just “cool” and “I don't think Powerpoint could do that” –
what's more important is that this was by far the clearest way of
getting the message across.

 Is there a way of having \installprogram for only for after the *last*
run?  (I don't think there could be a systemmode for the last run, but
texexec knows it has done the last run, so there might be some file.tui
line doing this kind of magic.)

Christopher

* Re: t-rsteps and starttyping
@ 2005-09-25 21:42                               ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-09-25 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Christopher Creutzig wrote:

> Is there a way of having \installprogram for only for after the *last*
>run?  (I don't think there could be a systemmode for the last run, but
>texexec knows it has done the last run, so there might be some file.tui
>line doing this kind of magic.)

tricky indeed,

remind me in a couple of weeks, he new texutil permits extensions and this could be one but it needs to signal texexec (doable since newtexutil is hooked into newtexec)

another option is to use --final in texexec and test for:

\startmode[*last]
\stopmode

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* footnote for author (\thanks)
@ 2005-09-26 15:04           ` Albrecht Kauffmann
From: Albrecht Kauffmann @ 2005-09-26 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

has ConTeXt any equivalent to the \thanks command in LaTeX that types a
footnote with a "*" as number and doesn't alter the footnote counter?

With many thanks in advance
Albrecht

* footnote numbering
@ 2005-09-26 15:34           ` Albrecht Kauffmann
From: Albrecht Kauffmann @ 2005-09-26 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

can someone tell me, how to set the counter of footnotes (e.g., one back,
or to zero)?

With many thanks
Albrecht

* Re: footnote for author (\thanks)
@ 2005-09-26 16:08             ` Adam Lindsay
From: Adam Lindsay @ 2005-09-26 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Albrecht Kauffmann said this at Mon, 26 Sep 2005 17:04:45 +0200:

>has ConTeXt any equivalent to the \thanks command in LaTeX that types a
>footnote with a "*" as number and doesn't alter the footnote counter?

Hello, Albrecht,

Does the following handle the cases you need:

\definenote[thanks][conversion=set 2]
\starttext
A. U. Thor\thanks[Misk]{A. U. Thor and W.H. Gates, III, are at
Miskatonic U.},
A. N. Onymouse\thanks{A. N. Onymouse is at Shoggoth Enterprises.}, and
W. H. Gates, III\note[Misk]

Here is a footnote.\footnote{a note}

Footnotes\footnote{another note} return here.
\stoptext

 Adam T. Lindsay, Computing Dept.     atl@comp.lancs.ac.uk
 Lancaster University, InfoLab21        +44(0)1524/510.514
 Lancaster, LA1 4WA, UK             Fax:+44(0)1524/510.492

* Re: t-rsteps and starttyping
@ 2005-09-28 11:13                                 ` Christopher Creutzig
From: Christopher Creutzig @ 2005-09-28 11:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen wrote:
> Christopher Creutzig wrote:
>

>> Is there a way of having \installprogram for only for after the *last*
>> run?  (I don't think there could be a systemmode for the last run, but

> another option is to use --final in texexec and test for:
>
> \startmode[*last]
> ... \stopmode

 Doesn't work for \installprogram.  TeXutil only runs if another TeX run
is needed.  I'll remind you, as you requested. :)

Christopher

* footnote numbering
@ 2006-09-13 18:20 Horacio Suarez
From: Horacio Suarez @ 2006-09-13 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

hello

I insist in a question:

I have:

\setupfootnotes[way=bychapter]

but it doesn´t restart the footnote numbering at chapter.

But if I write:

\setupfootnotes[way=bysection]

It does restart each \section.

Is the sintax ok?

What i´m doing wrong?

The last book i´ve fix it inseriting fake and empty chapters, but now it
doesn´t work.

Please help!

* RE: footnote numbering
@ 2005-09-26 18:14 Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2005-09-26 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

>can someone tell me, how to set the counter of footnotes (e.g., one back,
>or to zero)?

Play with this:

% output=pdf interface=en

\starttext

  Test.\footnote{Test}

  Test.\footnote{Test}

  \resetnumber[footnote]

  Test.\footnote{Test}

  Test.\footnote{Test}

  \incrementnumber[footnote]

  Test.\footnote{Test}

  Test.\footnote{Test}

  \decrementnumber[footnote]
  \decrementnumber[footnote]
  \decrementnumber[footnote]

  Test.\footnote{Test}

  Test.\footnote{Test}

\stoptext

Hans, can one add an option like
\decrementnumber[2][footnote]
to subract 2 instead of declaring the command three times?

Best
Idris

============================
Professor Idris Samawi Hamid
Department of Philosophy
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, CO 80523

* Re: Footnote numbering
@ 2003-01-29 10:56 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-01-29 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 01:04 AM 1/29/2003 +0100, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>is there a possibility to restart the numbering of footnotes? (i.e. i, ii,
>iii,... in the front matter, and then 1,2,3... in the body). I could switch to
>the roman numerals quite easily but I could not manage to let the new
>numbering start at 1. I also tried to use parts for that, which just led
>to funny
>page numbers but did not have any influence on the footnote numbering at all.
>
>Perhaps somebody knows a simple solution?

i still have to interface the number macros

\ifx\resetnumber\undefined \let\resetnumber\resetnummer \fi

\resetnumber[footnote]

                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: Footnote numbering
@ 2003-01-29 10:21 ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2003-01-29 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

cohsb@gmx.de writes:

Hello Chris,

> is there a possibility to restart the numbering of footnotes? (i.e. i, ii,
> iii,... in the front matter, and then 1,2,3... in the body).
> I could switch to the roman numerals quite easily but I could not
> manage to let the new numbering start at 1.

> Perhaps somebody knows a simple solution?

Since it is stated in the manual to look at core-not.tex, I did so
and found the command \resetnummer[...]. I have no idea if this is ok
to use (but I guess it is not, since Hans always comes up with a
better solution ;->) but here is the simple hack anyway:

\setupfootnotes[conversion=romannumerals]
\starttext
\startfrontmatter
Some text\footnote{interesting}.
\stopfrontmatter
\resetnummer[footnote]
\setupfootnotes[conversion=numbers]
\startbodymatter
Some text\footnote{interesting}.
\stopbodymatter
\startbackmatter
Some text\footnote{interesting}.
\stopbackmatter
\stoptext

> I also tried to use
> parts for that, which just led to funny page numbers but did not
> have any influence on the footnote numbering at all.

Then give this a try:

\setupfootnotes[conversion=romannumerals,way=bypart]
\starttext
\part {one}
Some text\footnote{interesting}.
\part {two}
\setupfootnotes[conversion=numbers]
Some text\footnote{interesting}.
\part {three}
Some text\footnote{interesting}.
\stoptext

Patrick

* Footnote numbering
@ 2003-01-29  0:04 cohsb
From: cohsb @ 2003-01-29  0:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

is there a possibility to restart the numbering of footnotes? (i.e. i, ii,
iii,... in the front matter, and then 1,2,3... in the body). I could switch to
the roman numerals quite easily but I could not manage to let the new
numbering start at 1. I also tried to use parts for that, which just led to funny
page numbers but did not have any influence on the footnote numbering at all.

Perhaps somebody knows a simple solution?

Many thanks and cheers, Chris.