* Re: modifying URL wrapping rules
       [not found] ` <96CA6B61-8532-483F-8810-9DD7306F1CF2@st.estfiles.de>
@ 2008-11-21 18:01   ` Lars Huttar
From: Lars Huttar @ 2008-11-21 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11/21/2008 9:52 AM, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> No, I had a deadline and in the end, I did URL breaking by hand, using
> \break at appropriate places. But it was a short article (4/5 pages).
>
> Aditya

So as far as we know, nobody has successfully used
\sethyphenatedurlbefore/after/etc. to tune the url-breaking mechanism.
Has anybody else on the list done this?

If not, maybe the mkii implementation has never worked for that
purpose... it's possible, since urls are breaking after hyphens when
lang-url.mkii says to break before hyphens.

If this is the case (\sethyphenatedbefore/after in mkii is broken), then
rather than awaiting a fix for the soon-obsolete mkii implementation,
maybe I can do a workaround. I need help with the tex details though,
please, as I am still very much a tex newbie...

We are generating our tex document, so verbosity is not a problem, but
irregularity would be.
Rather than inserting \break in various places manually, which would
have to be redone often, I could automatically insert \discretionary or
\allowbreak before/after the appropriate characters in the tex document.
Would that work?
How would I suppress hyphenation at other points -- \dontleavehmode or
something like that?

Thanks again,

Lars

* Re: modifying URL wrapping rules
@ 2008-11-21 19:31     ` Lars Huttar
From: Lars Huttar @ 2008-11-21 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11/21/2008 12:01 PM, Lars Huttar wrote:

> So as far as we know, nobody has successfully used
> \sethyphenatedurlbefore/after/etc. to tune the url-breaking mechanism.
> Has anybody else on the list done this?
>
> If not, maybe the mkii implementation has never worked for that
> purpose... it's possible, since urls are breaking after hyphens when
> lang-url.mkii says to break before hyphens.
>
> If this is the case (\sethyphenatedbefore/after in mkii is broken), then
> rather than awaiting a fix for the soon-obsolete mkii implementation,
> maybe I can do a workaround. I need help with the tex details though,
> please, as I am still very much a tex newbie...
>
> We are generating our tex document, so verbosity is not a problem, but
> irregularity would be.
> Rather than inserting \break in various places manually, which would
> have to be redone often, I could automatically insert \discretionary or
> \allowbreak before/after the appropriate characters in the tex document.
> Would that work?
> How would I suppress hyphenation at other points -- \dontleavehmode or
> something like that?

OK... I have a working workaround... close your eyes, because it's ugly.

I just put \hbox{} around the sections that we don't want broken, and
\discretionary{}{}{} in the places we will allow a break:
	\hbox{http://}\discretionary{}{}{}\hbox{www}\discretionary{}{}{}\hbox{.sil}\discretionary{}{}{}\hbox{.org/}\discretionary{}{}{}\hbox{silesr/}...

One of our URLs goes from 89 to 391 characters!  :-p

Maybe posting this awful kluge to the list will motivate someone who
knows TeX better to post a more elegant solution. :-)

Ugly as it is, it does allow me to control exactly where I want to allow
a break and where I don't. So I'll go with that for now, in order to
meet our deadline.

I'm sure someone could write a TeX macro to do the above algorithmically
instead of brute-force specifying every possible break point explicitly.

But that's what \hyphenatedurl is supposed to be, and it doesn't seem to
be working for me.

Regards,
Lars

* Re: modifying URL wrapping rules
@ 2008-11-21 20:35       ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2008-11-21 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 8:31 PM, Lars Huttar wrote:
> On 11/21/2008 12:01 PM, Lars Huttar wrote:
>>
>> So as far as we know, nobody has successfully used
>> \sethyphenatedurlbefore/after/etc. to tune the url-breaking mechanism.
>> Has anybody else on the list done this?
>
> OK... I have a working workaround... close your eyes, because it's ugly.
>
> I just put \hbox{} around the sections that we don't want broken, and
> \discretionary{}{}{} in the places we will allow a break:
>        \hbox{http://}\discretionary{}{}{}\hbox{www}\discretionary{}{}{}\hbox{.sil}\discretionary{}{}{}\hbox{.org/}\discretionary{}{}{}\hbox{silesr/}...
>
> One of our URLs goes from 89 to 391 characters!  :-p
>
> Maybe posting this awful kluge to the list will motivate someone who
> knows TeX better to post a more elegant solution. :-)

I don't know many details about TeX, but simple tests like the one
below seem to work:

\bgroup
\catcode`\:=11
\catcode`\/=11
\catcode`\~=11
\catcode`\,=11
\catcode`\-=11
\catcode`\_=11
\catcode`\?=11

\lccode`\:=`\:
\lccode`\/=`\/
\lccode`\~=`\~
\lccode`\,=`\,
\lccode`\-=`\-
\lccode`\_=`\_
\lccode`\?=`\?

% not sure how to handle the dot, but this seems to work
\catcode`\.=11
\catcode`\^=11
\lccode`\^=`\.

\patterns{
8:3 % break after  : (never before)
3^8 % break before . (never after)
8/3 % break after  / (never before)
3~8 % break before ~ (never after)
3,8
3-8
3_8
3?8
}
\egroup

And then an ugly document (after selecting the proper language):

\bgroup
\catcode`\:=11
\catcode`\.=11
\catcode`\/=11
\catcode`\~=11
\catcode`\,=11
\catcode`\-=11
\catcode`\_=11
\catcode`\?=11

\lccode`\:=`\:
\lccode`\.=`\.
\lccode`\/=`\/
\lccode`\~=`\~
\lccode`\,=`\,
\lccode`\-=`\-
\lccode`\_=`\_
\lccode`\?=`\?

\showhyphens{http://www.sil.org/silesr/}

hello
\egroup

This returns
     http://-www-.sil-.org/-silesr/
But one would need to complete the rules above (should be almost
trivial), and of course one would need to write all the needed macros
to use the "url language" automatically when typesetting URLs.

Mojca

* Re: modifying URL wrapping rules
@ 2008-11-21 22:53         ` Hans Hagen
                             ` (2 more replies)
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-11-21 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mojca Miklavec wrote:

 > hack hack hack hack ....

I tried solutions with special patterns sveral times but the problem is
in mixed languages, i.e. english text mixed with url-language; there are
some limitations (in pdftex for instance the same codes are used fo rthe
whole par (i.e. mixed languages are possible but with the same lccodes
etc). Also, one needs to get rid of the -

Anyhow, there is another trick, one that Aditya might love ...

\bgroup

\gdef\lettercolon{:}

\catcode`\:=\active
\catcode`\^=\active
\catcode`\/=\active
\catcode`\~=\active

\gdef\ForMojcaWhoLikesHacks#1%
   {\dontleavehmode
    \begingroup
    \mathcode`\:="8000
    \mathcode`\^="8000
    \mathcode`\/="8000
    \mathcode`\~="8000
    \def:{\nobreak   \hbox{\lettercolon}\allowbreak}%
    \def^{\allowbreak\hbox{\letterhat  }\nobreak}%
    \def/{\nobreak   \hbox{\letterslash}\allowbreak}%
    \def~{\allowbreak\hbox{\lettertilde}\nobreak}%
    \everymath\emptytoks
    \mathsurround\zeropoint$\tttf#1$%
    \endgroup}

\egroup

\hsize 1mm \ForMojcaWhoLikesHacks{http://www.sil.org/silesr/}

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2008-11-21 23:11           ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2008-11-21 23:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 11:53 PM, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
> Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>
>  > hack hack hack hack ....
>
> I tried solutions with special patterns sveral times but the problem is
> in mixed languages, i.e. english text mixed with url-language; there are
> some limitations (in pdftex for instance the same codes are used fo rthe
> whole par (i.e. mixed languages are possible but with the same lccodes
> etc). Also, one needs to get rid of the -

Whooops! I didn't know about those limitations (same catcodes in
paragraph, no language mixing). It seemed like a clean solution to me,
but apparently it's not. (Sorry for the brainwash.)

Mojca

* line of text after a table
@ 2008-11-22  0:19             ` Albrecht Kauffmann
From: Albrecht Kauffmann @ 2008-11-22  0:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

would it be able to write a line after a table or figure (e.g.: "Data
source: ...") that will be handled as a part of the float object?

With many thanks for any hint,
Albrecht

On Sat, 22 Nov 2008, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 11:53 PM, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
> > Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> >
> >  > hack hack hack hack ....
> >
> > I tried solutions with special patterns sveral times but the problem is
> > in mixed languages, i.e. english text mixed with url-language; there are
> > some limitations (in pdftex for instance the same codes are used fo rthe
> > whole par (i.e. mixed languages are possible but with the same lccodes
> > etc). Also, one needs to get rid of the -
>
> Whooops! I didn't know about those limitations (same catcodes in
> paragraph, no language mixing). It seemed like a clean solution to me,
> but apparently it's not. (Sorry for the brainwash.)
>
> Mojca

* Re: line of text after a table
@ 2008-11-24  8:20               ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2008-11-24  8:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Albrecht Kauffmann wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> would it be able to write a line after a table or figure (e.g.: "Data
> source: ...") that will be handled as a part of the float object?

Just do
   \placefigure[]{}{\externalfigure[cow.pdf]\crlf Data source: .. }

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: line of text after a table
@ 2008-11-24  8:32                 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-11-24  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 9:20 AM, Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com> wrote:
> Albrecht Kauffmann wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> would it be able to write a line after a table or figure (e.g.: "Data
>> source: ...") that will be handled as a part of the float object?
>>

> Just do
>   \placefigure[]{}{\externalfigure[cow.pdf]\crlf Data source: .. }

\placefigure[]{}{\placelegend{\externalfigure[cow.pdf]}{Data source: ...}}

Regards,
Wolfgang

* Re: modifying URL wrapping rules
@ 2008-11-24 13:39           ` Lars Huttar
From: Lars Huttar @ 2008-11-24 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11/21/2008 4:53 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
> Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>
>  > hack hack hack hack ....
>
> I tried solutions with special patterns sveral times but the problem is
> in mixed languages, i.e. english text mixed with url-language; there are
> some limitations (in pdftex for instance the same codes are used fo rthe
> whole par (i.e. mixed languages are possible but with the same lccodes
> etc). Also, one needs to get rid of the -
>
> Anyhow, there is another trick, one that Aditya might love ...
>
> \bgroup
>
> \gdef\lettercolon{:}
>
> \catcode`\:=\active
> \catcode`\^=\active
> \catcode`\/=\active
> \catcode`\~=\active
>
> \gdef\ForMojcaWhoLikesHacks#1%
>    {\dontleavehmode
>     \begingroup
>     \mathcode`\:="8000
>     \mathcode`\^="8000
>     \mathcode`\/="8000
>     \mathcode`\~="8000
>     \def:{\nobreak   \hbox{\lettercolon}\allowbreak}%
>     \def^{\allowbreak\hbox{\letterhat  }\nobreak}%
>     \def/{\nobreak   \hbox{\letterslash}\allowbreak}%
>     \def~{\allowbreak\hbox{\lettertilde}\nobreak}%
>     \everymath\emptytoks
>     \mathsurround\zeropoint$\tttf#1$%
>     \endgroup}
>
> \egroup
>
> \hsize 1mm \ForMojcaWhoLikesHacks{http://www.sil.org/silesr/}

Thanks, this is great.

Looks like, as in improvement over \hyphenatedurl, it allows you to
specify that you can break before a character, after, or both.

I think I can even see how to use it in a document...
though, would I have to undo the initial \catcode commands after the
\egroup?

Also, I don't see a way to prevent breaking between two slashes...
unless you treat them as part of a separate hbox:
   \hbox{http://}\ForMojcaWhoLikesHacks{www.sil.org/silesr/}
which is not a big problem.

Thanks,
Lars

* Re: modifying URL wrapping rules
@ 2008-11-24 14:45             ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-11-24 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars Huttar wrote:

> Also, I don't see a way to prevent breaking between two slashes...
> unless you treat them as part of a separate hbox:
>    \hbox{http://}\ForMojcaWhoLikesHacks{www.sil.org/silesr/}
> which is not a big problem.

it's no problem to catch the // but in general this method is not that
generic since font changes in math are somewhat limited and kerning is
gone too

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2008-11-24 16:25               ` Lars Huttar
From: Lars Huttar @ 2008-11-24 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11/24/2008 8:45 AM, Hans Hagen wrote:
> Lars Huttar wrote:
>
>> Also, I don't see a way to prevent breaking between two slashes...
>> unless you treat them as part of a separate hbox:
>>    \hbox{http://}\ForMojcaWhoLikesHacks{www.sil.org/silesr/}
>> which is not a big problem.
>
> it's no problem to catch the // but in general this method is not that
> generic since font changes in math are somewhat limited and kerning is
> gone too

Oh... so my ugly \hbox{...}\discretionary{}{}{} method eliminates
kerning? Bummer...

* Re: line of text after a table
@ 2008-11-25 11:13               ` Albrecht Kauffmann
From: Albrecht Kauffmann @ 2008-11-25 11:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear ConTeXtuals,

a few days ago I asked this question but got not any answer. I think it is
an important issue to couple a comment with a float (e.g. a table or
figure) that has to be moved together with the float, similarly to local
footnotes. Has someone solved this problem already somehow or other?

With many thanks for hints,
Albrecht

@ 2008-11-25 14:47           ` Steffen Wolfrum
From: Steffen Wolfrum @ 2008-11-25 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 21.11.2008 um 23:53 schrieb Hans Hagen:

> Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>
>> hack hack hack hack ....
>
> I tried solutions with special patterns sveral times but the problem
> is
> in mixed languages, i.e. english text mixed with url-language; there
> are
> some limitations (in pdftex for instance the same codes are used fo
> rthe
> whole par (i.e. mixed languages are possible but with the same lccodes
> etc). Also, one needs to get rid of the -
>
> Anyhow, there is another trick, one that Aditya might love ...
>
> \bgroup
>
> \gdef\lettercolon{:}
>
> \catcode`\:=\active
> \catcode`\^=\active
> \catcode`\/=\active
> \catcode`\~=\active
>
> \gdef\ForMojcaWhoLikesHacks#1%
>   {\dontleavehmode
>    \begingroup
>    \mathcode`\:="8000
>    \mathcode`\^="8000
>    \mathcode`\/="8000
>    \mathcode`\~="8000
>    \def:{\nobreak   \hbox{\lettercolon}\allowbreak}%
>    \def^{\allowbreak\hbox{\letterhat  }\nobreak}%
>    \def/{\nobreak   \hbox{\letterslash}\allowbreak}%
>    \def~{\allowbreak\hbox{\lettertilde}\nobreak}%
>    \everymath\emptytoks
>    \mathsurround\zeropoint$\tttf#1$%
>    \endgroup}
>
> \egroup
>
> \hsize 1mm \ForMojcaWhoLikesHacks{http://www.sil.org/silesr/}

Conclusion please:

Is \ForMojcaWhoLikesHacks an improvement of \hyphenatedurls
in terms of being closer to this "Chicago style" sort of standard?

[And thus being part of next beta?]

Or is it a personal hack, fitting Lars' needs?

Steffen

* Re: modifying URL wrapping rules
@ 2008-11-25 15:11             ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-11-25 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steffen Wolfrum wrote:

> Conclusion please:
>
> Is \ForMojcaWhoLikesHacks an improvement of \hyphenatedurls
> in terms of being closer to this "Chicago style" sort of standard?

no, a hack just for mojca, not finished, and since inmath mode hardly
configurable with respect to fonts etc

> [And thus being part of next beta?]

no, onluy as comment

> Or is it a personal hack, fitting Lars' needs?

not even that but if it serves that purpose, fine

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* line of text after a table
@ 2008-11-25 12:38 Steffen Wolfrum
From: Steffen Wolfrum @ 2008-11-25 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hallo Albrecht,

hast Du diese (siehe Anhang) beiden Antworten übersehen?

MfG, Steffen.

Anfang der weitergeleiteten E-Mail: