* right-to-left typesetting
@ 2001-08-05  6:34 Efraim Yawitz
From: Efraim Yawitz @ 2001-08-05  6:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

Does anyone have any experience with right-to-left typesetting with
ConTeXt?  etex has primitives \beginR, \endR, \beginL, \endL which are for
this purpose, but how can I use them in ConTeXt?  Just as an experiment, I
put some \everypar and \everyhbox statements into an input file and got
some pretty nice results (reversed paragraphs and columns) along with a
lot of error messages about 'missing \endR'.  Of course, it's still pretty
crude (page numbers reversed, for example), and I know this is not the way
to do it?  Is there a 'way to do it' already implemented, or could the
ConTeXt gurus add something?  It doesn't sound like a lot of extra code.

Thanks,

Ephraim Yawitz

* Re: right-to-left typesetting
@ 2001-08-06  8:54 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-08-06  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 09:34 AM 8/5/2001 +0300, Efraim Yawitz wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Does anyone have any experience with right-to-left typesetting with
>ConTeXt?  etex has primitives \beginR, \endR, \beginL, \endL which are for
>this purpose, but how can I use them in ConTeXt?  Just as an experiment, I
>put some \everypar and \everyhbox statements into an input file and got
>some pretty nice results (reversed paragraphs and columns) along with a
>lot of error messages about 'missing \endR'.  Of course, it's still pretty
>crude (page numbers reversed, for example), and I know this is not the way
>to do it?  Is there a 'way to do it' already implemented, or could the
>ConTeXt gurus add something?  It doesn't sound like a lot of extra code.

There are two files that run on top of arabtex,

\setupbodyfont[heb] will give you \starthebrew .. \stophebrew

another way is Omega, but this is not yet stable, is under reconstruction,
etc.

There is a some crude low level awareness of direction, but o have to pop
that into the hebrew handler. [one has for instance to reverse a couple of
things]

With regards to the otr, columns already can go right -> left, and more
will follow; the more precise the demands are written down, the better i
can act upon them,

i have to pick up the chinese / farsi / hebrew thread anyway -)

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: right-to-left typesetting
@ 2001-08-06 10:48   ` Efraim Yawitz
From: Efraim Yawitz @ 2001-08-06 10:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Thanks very much.

On Mon, 6 Aug 2001, Hans Hagen wrote:

> There are two files that run on top of arabtex,
>
> \setupbodyfont[heb] will give you \starthebrew .. \stophebrew
>
> another way is Omega, but this is not yet stable, is under reconstruction,
> etc.
>
> There is a some crude low level awareness of direction, but o have to pop
> that into the hebrew handler. [one has for instance to reverse a couple of
> things]
I'm not sure what you mean about awareness of direction.  As I mentioned, etex already has primitives for this.

> With regards to the otr, columns already can go right -> left, and more
> will follow; the more precise the demands are written down, the better i
> can act upon them,
I'll try to think about it.

@ 2001-08-06 11:15   ` Efraim Yawitz
From: Efraim Yawitz @ 2001-08-06 11:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

On Mon, 6 Aug 2001, Hans Hagen wrote:
> With regards to the otr, columns already can go right -> left
I didn't find this in the options; how do I do it?

@ 2001-08-06 12:23     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-08-06 12:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

direction=right or left

@ 2001-08-07  6:24       ` Efraim Yawitz
From: Efraim Yawitz @ 2001-08-07  6:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

On Mon, 6 Aug 2001, Hans Hagen wrote:

> direction=right or left

Thanks, the problem was that I was using an older version of context that
came with teTeX, and didn't have this feature.
Also, I only found by experimenting that the direction I wanted was
'left', i.e., towards the left.  I think most Hebrew speakers would call
this 'right', meaning right-to-left, and this is the convention used in
etex's primitives, \beginR, beginL, etc.  Don't jump to change this, but I
thought you would be interested.

Thanks again,

Ephraim

* Archive indexing
@ 2001-09-15 17:11 ` Slawek Zak
From: Slawek Zak @ 2001-09-15 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I've found that the reindexing of documents didn't work for recent posts. All
should be back to normal now.

/S