* Projects
@ 2000-07-27 21:47 ` David Arnold
From: David Arnold @ 2000-07-27 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: pragma

All,

After reading the manual, I am not sure I can accomplish what I want with
projects. So let me pose a question to the group.

Suppose I have a folder

c:\linalg

which contains a project file and an environment:

c:\linalg\project.tex
c:\linalg\environment.tex

There are several subfolders:

c:\linalg\vectors
c:\linalg\matrices

These folders contain activities:

c:\linalg\vectors\vectors.tex
c:\linalg\matrices\matrices.tex

Now, to my point. Is it possible to create standalone documents vectors.pdf
and matrices.pdf by compiling only one document? I don't want them to be
part of a larger document. I want individual files vectors.pdf and
matrices.pdf.

The manual definitely says that I can compile individual components and
I'll give that a go before the day is done, but what I am looking for is a
timesaver. Say I have 20 activities, all using a particular environment I
have created. I decide that I would like to tweak the environment
definition a bit, but now am I faced with 20 compilations to update my 20
activities? What I am looking for is a way of updating all 20 documents,
based on the updated environment, without having to compile them
individually. Is this possible?

-
David Arnold
College of the Redwoods
Mathematics Department
7351 Tompkins Hill Road
Eureka, CA 95501
(707) 476-4222

My Home Page
http://online.redwoods.cc.ca.us/instruct/darnold/index.htm

Ordinary Differential Equations Using Matlab
http://www.prenhall.com/books/esm_0130113816.html

* Re: Projects
@ 2000-07-28 13:18   ` Ed L Cashin
From: Ed L Cashin @ 2000-07-28 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context, pragma

David Arnold <darnold@northcoast.com> writes:

> The manual definitely says that I can compile individual components
> and I'll give that a go before the day is done, but what I am
> looking for is a timesaver. Say I have 20 activities, all using a
> particular environment I have created. I decide that I would like to
> tweak the environment definition a bit, but now am I faced with 20
> compilations to update my 20 activities? What I am looking for is a
> way of updating all 20 documents, based on the updated environment,
> without having to compile them individually. Is this possible?

If I understand you correctly then, no, it's not.  If all twenty
documents were compiled into pdf with a red background because the
environment that they all share said "use a red background" when you
last ran texexec, then you'll have to run texexec again if you change
the environment to say "use a blue background".

If you have this kind of complex stuff going on, you might want to
look into "make".  GNU make is available for most platforms, including
djgpp (32-bit DOS), and most UNIX-like systems.  You can use make to
only recompile the pdfs that depend on sources that have changed.

make saves me lots of time.  I can just hit one keystroke, and make
handles the whole build, even recursing into subdirectories if
necessary.  The make docs are in texinfo format, so use the command,
"info 'GNU make'" to read about it.

--
--Ed Cashin                     PGP public key:
  ecashin@coe.uga.edu           http://www.coe.uga.edu/~ecashin/pgp/

* Re: Projects
@ 2000-07-28 17:36     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-07-28 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: David Arnold, ntg-context, pragma

At 09:18 AM 7/28/00 -0400, Ed L Cashin wrote:
>David Arnold <darnold@northcoast.com> writes:
>
>> The manual definitely says that I can compile individual components
>> and I'll give that a go before the day is done, but what I am
>> looking for is a timesaver. Say I have 20 activities, all using a
>> particular environment I have created. I decide that I would like to
>> tweak the environment definition a bit, but now am I faced with 20
>> compilations to update my 20 activities? What I am looking for is a
>> way of updating all 20 documents, based on the updated environment,
>> without having to compile them individually. Is this possible?
>
>If I understand you correctly then, no, it's not.  If all twenty
>documents were compiled into pdf with a red background because the
>environment that they all share said "use a red background" when you
>last ran texexec, then you'll have to run texexec again if you change
>the environment to say "use a blue background".

If you have 20 files named abc-*.tex which all use the same environment,
you can say:

  texexec --env=yours --pdf abc*.tex

that way they use yours.tex as environment.

Hans
                                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: Projects
@ 2000-07-29  6:11       ` Radhakrishnan C V
From: Radhakrishnan C V @ 2000-07-29  6:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Ed L Cashin, David Arnold, Systems Administrator, ntg-context

On Fri, 28 Jul 2000, Hans Hagen wrote:

 | >environment that they all share said "use a red background" when you
 | >last ran texexec, then you'll have to run texexec again if you change
 | >the environment to say "use a blue background".
 |
 | If you have 20 files named abc-*.tex which all use the same environment,
 | you can say:
 |
 |   texexec --env=yours --pdf abc*.tex
 |
 | that way they use yours.tex as environment.

As Ed Cashin puts it, it is easy to use GNU make to compile all the
files of David with a single command. I used to do different outputs
like screen pdf, normal pdf, dvi, xml, xml with mathml, etc. from a
single source making use of `make'. A tweaked specimen is given below:

#
# Makefile for compiling all files with single command
#

all: dvi pdf

dvi: vectordvi projectdvi

pdf: vector project

vector:
	-rm -f *.aux *.toc *.log
	pdftex '\def\Status{1}\input path/vector'
	pdftex '\def\Status{1}\input path/vector'

project:
	-rm -f *.aux  *.toc *.log
	-pdftex '\def\Status{1}\input path/project'
	-pdftex '\def\Status{1}\input path/project'
	-pdftex '\def\Status{1}\input path/project'

vectordvi:
	-rm -f *.aux *.toc *.log
	pdftex '\def\Status{0}\input path/vector'
	pdftex '\def\Status{0}\input path/vector'

projectdvi:
	-rm -f *.aux  *.toc *.log
	-pdftex '\def\Status{0}\input path/project'
	-pdftex '\def\Status{0}\input path/project'
	-pdftex '\def\Status{0}\input path/project'

clean:
	-rm -f *.aux *.log *.blg  *.out

realclean: clean
	-rm -f *.pdf *.dvi
	-rm -f *.bbl
	-rm -f *.html *.htm *.css *.gif *.xml *.mml
%
% variable.tex ---------------------
%
\ifcase\Status
  \message{Set up for normal dvi}
  %
  % put here whatever is needed for dvi output

\or% 1
  \message{Set up for screen PDF}
  % package loading and macros here
  %
  %

\or% 2
  \message{Set up for simple PDF}
  % put here whatever is needed for print version PDF
  %
  %
\fi

% specimen input file --------------

\input variable

% put common options here

\starttext

\stoptext

make all will generate all the output for all files, whereas
make dvi will get you all the dvi of all files,
make pdf will get you all the pdf's
make vector will get you the pdf output of vector alone.

David, can you tweak this to suit your requirements? Here, not only that
you can compile all your files, but also you can have different output
of all files (or at your will a single file alone or a combination
of files) with a single command.

Have a Linux box nearby, that will get you closer to the real computer.

--
Radhakrishnan