* perl question
@ 2002-05-25 22:26 Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-05-25 22:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I want to install a perl/dbi/sql script on the web server, but it looks
like redhat comes with a pretty poor perl installed. So, i need to install
lots of modules, each which misses other ones; so i wonder if there is a
more convenient way to install missing perl modules (i'm acccustomed to the
rather complete activestate under windows, as well as the perl module
manager, so i wonder if there is something similar for linux)

Hans

                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: perl question
@ 2002-05-25 23:13 ` Michael Wiedmann
From: Michael Wiedmann @ 2002-05-25 23:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

* Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> [020526 00:26]:

> I want to install a perl/dbi/sql script on the web server, but it looks
> like redhat comes with a pretty poor perl installed. So, i need to install
> lots of modules, each which misses other ones; so i wonder if there is a
> more convenient way to install missing perl modules (i'm acccustomed to the
> rather complete activestate under windows, as well as the perl module
> manager, so i wonder if there is something similar for linux)

Install the 'CPAN' module and afterwards you can do something like

$ perl -MCPAN -e shell

which gives you a kind of shell and if you try to 'install PACKAGE' this
will automatically install all other missing packages too.

Michael
--
mw@miwie.in-berlin.de                              http://www.miwie.org
mw@miwie.org

* Re: perl question
@ 2002-05-26  5:58 ` Tobias Burnus
From: Tobias Burnus @ 2002-05-26  5:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Hi Hans,

On Sun, 26 May 2002, Hans Hagen wrote:
> I want to install a perl/dbi/sql script on the web server, but it looks
> like redhat comes with a pretty poor perl installed.
In which sense poor? Is perl too old or only to incomplete?
(Which RedHat? 7.3? lsb_release -r should reveal that [given that it
follows the gLSB to at least a certain extend])

Besides the suggestion from Michael Wiedmann to use 'perl -MCPAN -e shell'
there are also a lot of PERL modules available as RPM. Try
  http://www.redhat.com/apps/download/advanced_search.html

In general I prefer to use the database (rpm or deb/dpkg) in favour of the
perl installation since otherwise it is a bit unclear what is on the
harddisk -- and updating a bit more difficult ;-)

Tobias