* Figures database trouble
@ 2002-08-17 16:07 Serge Stinckwich
From: Serge Stinckwich @ 2002-08-17 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

i'm trying to use the figures database feature of ConTeXt with several jpg files.

With the following figures.xml file :

<figurelibrary language="en">
  <description>
    <project>test</project>
    <comment>bla bla</comment>
  </description>
  <figure>
    <file>pict0001</file>
    <label>pict001</label>
    <comment>bla bla</comment>
    <copyright>Serge Stinckwich</copyright>
  </figure>
</figurelibrary>

and texexec --pdf --use=fig-make figures.xml

i've got :

Error: pdfetex (file ./pict0001.jpg): reading JPEG image failed

What's wrong ?

--
Serge Stinckwich                                         -< )  multiagent.com
Université de Caen>CNRS UMR 6072>GREYC>I3>SMILE           /~\  squeak.org

* Re: Figures database trouble
@ 2002-08-17 17:14 ` Serge Stinckwich
From: Serge Stinckwich @ 2002-08-17 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 17 Aug 2002 18:07:32 +0200
Serge Stinckwich <Serge.Stinckwich@info.unicaen.fr> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i'm trying to use the figures database feature of ConTeXt with several jpg files.

I think i have found the problem : pdftex doesn't support the EXIF format in jpg files (my jpg files came from a digital camera).

More here : http://www.tug.org/pipermail/pdftex/2002-May/002603.html

--

@ 2002-08-18 12:02   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-08-18 12:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 07:14 PM 8/17/2002 +0200, Serge Stinckwich wrote:
>On Sat, 17 Aug 2002 18:07:32 +0200
>Serge Stinckwich <Serge.Stinckwich@info.unicaen.fr> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > i'm trying to use the figures database feature of ConTeXt with several
> jpg files.
>
>I think i have found the problem : pdftex doesn't support the EXIF format
>in jpg files (my jpg files came from a digital camera).

i had something similar sometime ago, for jpg pdftex depends on libraries,
so always use the latest version

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: Figures database trouble
@ 2002-08-19 19:53   ` Hartmut Henkel
From: Hartmut Henkel @ 2002-08-19 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

>From pdfTeX 1.10-devel on, EXIF headers in JPEG files are ignored (no
error during inclusion), so camera pictures can be included into pdfTeX.
But this might require manual picture scale adjustment.

Or in the meantime you might also use dvipdfm (ignores EXIF headers) as
dvi postprocessor to produce good pdf, or you might preprocess your
pictures by the nice and free tool jhead from Matthias Wandel, which
allows to delete EXIF headers from JPEG files.

Greetings Hartmut

On Sat, 17 Aug 2002, Serge Stinckwich wrote:

> On Sat, 17 Aug 2002 18:07:32 +0200
> Serge Stinckwich <Serge.Stinckwich@info.unicaen.fr> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > i'm trying to use the figures database feature of ConTeXt with
> > several jpg files.
>
> I think i have found the problem : pdftex doesn't support the EXIF
> format in jpg files (my jpg files came from a digital camera).
>
> More here : http://www.tug.org/pipermail/pdftex/2002-May/002603.html
>
> --
> Serge Stinckwich                                         -< )  multiagent.com
> Université de Caen>CNRS UMR 6072>GREYC>I3>SMILE           /~\  squeak.org
> http://www.iutc3.unicaen.fr/serge/                       (/  | zope.org
> Smalltalkers do: [:it | All with: Class, (And love: it)] _|_/  debian.org

Dr.-Ing. Hartmut Henkel
In den Auwiesen 6, D-68723 Oftersheim, Germany
E-Mail: hartmut_henkel@gmx.de