* My first week with ConTeXt
@ 2003-09-10  8:25 Andreas Gschwendtner
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Andreas Gschwendtner @ 2003-09-10  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello everyone,

I have been using ConTeXt and reading this list silently for a week
now. I am quite impressed by the features and the flexibility ConTeXt
has to offer -- yet, I am still a little bit anxious to give up all the
things I have got used to in LaTeX. What I am trying to do at the
moment, is convert some LaTeX documents to ConTeXt. Some things have
indeed been easier than expected, while others seem to be a lot of work
and can be quite troublesome...

I am sorry if anything I am about to ask has already been covered here
or if the answer is in the manuals -- at the beginning it is sometimes
quite hard to look in the right places.

-- At first, a general request rather than a question:
Learning ConTeXt would be _much_ easier if there were more example
files around. At some points the manuals are hard to understand and
some things are not even covered. I learned a lot in LaTeX, too, by
taking some example file and modifying it to suit my needs. A read
somewhere (although I can't remember where) that the sources to all
documents available from pragma-ade.com "are or will be made public".
This would be great! In the meantime I would appreciate any links to
examples. How do other ConTeXt users realize Styles for their index and
their bibliography? How do they set up headers, footers, chapter and
section headings, pagestyles, etc...

-- \placefigure (caption) question #1:
For some of my figures I want to have captions _below_ the figure, but
the caption should be wider than the figure itself (if the figure is
0.5\textwidth and centered, I want the caption to be 0.9\textwidth or
even \textwidth). How do I do that?

-- \placefigure (caption) question #2:
Some of my figures are quite tall (= \textheight), so the caption
cannot be below or above, but has to be _beside_ the figure. I want
those figures to appear *left* on *odd* pages and *right* on *even*
pages, and the captions vice versa. I don't want to have the caption in
the outer margin, but rather the width of the figure plus the width of
the caption should be equal to \textwidth.

Thanks for any hints!

Andreas