* differences of table modes
@ 2003-06-12 16:32 Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2003-06-12 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ahoi!

I just reviewed my german ConTeXt tutorial and tried to tell the truth
about all the table modes. Please correct me if I'm wrong:

* tabulate
- can break over several pages
- [start|stop]tabulate[head|tail] should define a repeated head/tail,
   but it doesn't work
- documented in the manual (cont-en[i|p])

* table
- cannot break
- based on Wichura's TaBlE (others not)
- can be used as float (others not?)
- documentation commercial at pctex.com (39 $),
   partly docs in "ConTeXt - an excursion" (m[s|p]-cb-en)

* tables
- same as table, but can break over several pages
- [start|stop]table[head|tail] works
- nowhere documented?

* TABLE
- didn't try page breaks yet; should it work?
- [b|e]TABLE works; should [start|stop]TABLE also?
- docs: up-to-date 8 (no link on HP!), enattab

* new table mode?
I remember Hans wrote about a new enhanced table
mode, but can't find the mail.

Grüßlis vom Hraban!
--
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/

* Re: differences of table modes
@ 2003-06-14  9:15 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-06-14  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 18:32 12/06/2003 +0200, you wrote:
>Ahoi!
>
>I just reviewed my german ConTeXt tutorial and tried to tell the truth
>about all the table modes. Please correct me if I'm wrong:
>
>* tabulate
>- can break over several pages
>- [start|stop]tabulate[head|tail] should define a repeated head/tail,
>   but it doesn't work

works here

\starttext

\starttabulatehead
   \NC left \NC right \NC \NR
\stoptabulatehead

\starttabulate[|l|r|]
   \NC l \NC r \NC \NR
\stoptabulate

\stoptext

>- documented in the manual (cont-en[i|p])

- handles (multiple) paragraphs with the "p" template entry
- works well with grids
- supports text backgrounds

>* table
>- cannot break
>- based on Wichura's TaBlE (others not)
>- can be used as float (others not?)

all can be used as floats

>- documentation commercial at pctex.com (39 $),
>   partly docs in "ConTeXt - an excursion" (m[s|p]-cb-en)
>
>* tables
>- same as table, but can break over several pages
>- [start|stop]table[head|tail] works
>- nowhere documented?

in my still to be included chapter if the manual it is -)

>* TABLE
>- didn't try page breaks yet; should it work?

yes, if split is set to yes

>- [b|e]TABLE works; should [start|stop]TABLE also?

no, at least not yet; has to do with grabbing

>- docs: up-to-date 8 (no link on HP!), enattab
>
>* new table mode?
>I remember Hans wrote about a new enhanced table
>mode, but can't find the mail.

core-ltb: line tables, auto break vertically and horizontally across pages,
repeated rows / columns, etc

will be documented

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: differences of table modes
@ 2003-06-14 23:22   ` Nigel King
From: Nigel King @ 2003-06-14 23:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans,
This does not work for me either

\starttabulatehead
  \NC left \NC right \NC \NR
\stoptabulatehead

It gives the following error

This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.14159-1.10b-2.1 (Web2C 7.4.5) (format=cont-en
2003.4.28)  14 JUN 2003 19:16
...many lines cut...
! TeX capacity exceeded, sorry [input stack size=1500].
\settrue #1->\chardef #1
                        \zerocount
\tabulateheadcontent ...ettrue \tabulatesomeamble
                                                  }\tabulateheadcontent
\TAB...

\tabulateheadcontent ...ble }\tabulateheadcontent
                                                  \TABLEnoalign {\global
\se...

\tabulateheadcontent ...ble }\tabulateheadcontent
                                                  \TABLEnoalign {\global
\se...

\tabulateheadcontent ...ble }\tabulateheadcontent
                                                  \TABLEnoalign {\global
\se...

\tabulateheadcontent ...ble }\tabulateheadcontent
                                                  \TABLEnoalign {\global
\se...
l.21 \stoptabulate

If you really absolutely need more capacity,
you can ask a wizard to enlarge me.

TIA
--
Nigel

* Re: differences of table modes
@ 2003-06-15 18:01     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-06-15 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 00:22 15/06/2003 +0100, you wrote:

>\starttabulatehead
>   \NC left \NC right \NC \NR
>\stoptabulatehead
>
>It gives the following error
>
>This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.14159-1.10b-2.1 (Web2C 7.4.5) (format=cont-en
>2003.4.28)  14 JUN 2003 19:16
>...many lines cut...
>! TeX capacity exceeded, sorry [input stack size=1500].
>\settrue #1->\chardef #1
>                         \zerocount

is this a matter of stach size or do others have the same problem?

Hans (who is not sure if he patched this after 2003.4.28)

@ 2003-06-16 20:53       ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2003-06-16 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am Sonntag, 15.06.03, um 20:01 Uhr (Europe/Zurich) schrieb Hans Hagen:
>> \starttabulatehead
>>   \NC left \NC right \NC \NR
>> \stoptabulatehead
>>
>> It gives the following error
>
> is this a matter of stach size or do others have the same problem?

I got the same (or something similar), and I run the latest beta,
that's why I wrote it wouldn't work.

Grüßlis vom Hraban!
--
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/ (a bit reviewed)

* Re: differences of table modes
@ 2003-06-17  8:05         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-06-17  8:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 22:53 16/06/2003 +0200, you wrote:

>Am Sonntag, 15.06.03, um 20:01 Uhr (Europe/Zurich) schrieb Hans Hagen:
>>>\starttabulatehead
>>>   \NC left \NC right \NC \NR
>>>\stoptabulatehead
>>>
>>>It gives the following error
>>
>>is this a matter of stach size or do others have the same problem?
>
>I got the same (or something similar), and I run the latest beta,
>that's why I wrote it wouldn't work.

hm. looks like i have to post an updat eone of these days

@ 2004-01-31 11:40   ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2004-01-31 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 14 Jun 2003, Hans Hagen wrote:

> >* tables
> >- same as table, but can break over several pages
> >- [start|stop]table[head|tail] works
> >- nowhere documented?
>
> in my still to be included chapter if the manual it is -)

Hello,
I am looking for documentation for tables.
Is the table-chapter already published somewhere?
Cheers, Peter

--
http://pmrb.free.fr/contact/