* MetaPost 1.001 announcement
@ 2007-11-14 16:56 Taco Hoekwater
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2007-11-14 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: metapost, ntg-context, metafont, tex-implementors

The MetaPost team is happy to announce a new release of MetaPost:

MetaPost 1.001

The sources and a win32 package can be downloaded immediately from

   https://foudnry.supelec.fr/projects/metapost/

The source package should compile normally on all systems that are
capable of compiling a modern web2c-based TeX distribution.

The win32 package is intended for texlive or a similar web2c-based
installation, and has been tested only with TeXLive 2007. These
executables will *not* work for miktex, sorry.

Of course, we welcome any comments (either good or bad) that you may
have. Simply replying to this message is fine, but see the bottom of
the message for a more formal way to report bugs and feature requests.

* Some issues were reported with the new turningnumber algorithm,
   all known problems are now fixed.

* Gábor Braun discovered that mpost did not always download the font
   encodings into all the created output files.

* Akira Kakuto and Hartmut Henkel found some small issues in mpto
   regarding trailing and leading whitespace.

* A fix for the 'Helvetica' entries in trfonts.map was provided by
   Werner Lemberg, and Michail Vidiassov supplied two extra font
   entries for troff.map (Symbol and ZapfDingbats). Karl Berry
   provided the new file troff-updmap.map, to be used by the updmap
   tool in texlive.

* Mpost now supports web2c's --output-directory option.

* Any warnings about missing fonts and characters are now always
   written to the terminal as well as to the log.

* Now that makempx is a C program, it needed a different install line
   in build.sh. Also, Olaf Mersmann contributed a patch to recognize
   'gmake' in build.sh

* Luigi Scarso found some typing errors in the web source that prevented
   clean weaving of the source.

* Stephan Hennig fixed a number of problems in the manual (mpman.tex)
   and the introduction paper (mpintro.tex). He also wrote new sections
   on how to preview metapost graphics and on how to use metapost
   graphics inside  other documents. On top of that, the manual is now
   hypertext-aware, and fixes for a whole series of small problems have
   been applied.

Legal notice / license / bug reports
MetaPost is a system for producing graphics developed by John Hobby
at AT&T, based on Donald Knuth's Metafont.  The MetaPost home page
is http://tug.org/metapost.

MetaPost and related programs are in the public domain.

The MetaPost development project is currently hosted at Supelec,
https://foundry.supelec.fr/projects/metapost; please report bugs and
request enhancements through there if possible. Alternatively, you
can reach us through the <metapost@tug.org> mailing list as well.

Have fun!

Taco Hoekwater, for the MetaPost team, November 14, 2007

* Re: MetaPost 1.001 announcement
@ 2007-11-14 17:09 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2007-11-14 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: metapost; +Cc: ntg-context, metafont, tex-implementors

Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> The MetaPost team is happy to announce a new release of MetaPost:

> MetaPost 1.001
>
> The sources and a win32 package can be downloaded immediately from
>
>    https://foudnry.supelec.fr/projects/metapost/

Sorry, that is (almost) the same typo as in the previous announcement.
It should be:

   http://foundry.supelec.fr/projects/metapost/

Best wishes,

Taco

* Re: MetaPost 1.001 announcement
@ 2007-11-14 17:50 ` Andrea Valle
From: Andrea Valle @ 2007-11-14 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

>    https://foudnry.supelec.fr/projects/metapost/

(little typo)

Sorry Taco, but it is a step  on the way to MegaPost, or are they two
separate project?

Best

-a-

> The source package should compile normally on all systems that are
> capable of compiling a modern web2c-based TeX distribution.
>
> The win32 package is intended for texlive or a similar web2c-based
> installation, and has been tested only with TeXLive 2007. These
> executables will *not* work for miktex, sorry.
>
> Of course, we welcome any comments (either good or bad) that you may
> have. Simply replying to this message is fine, but see the bottom of
> the message for a more formal way to report bugs and feature requests.

> * Some issues were reported with the new turningnumber algorithm,
>    all known problems are now fixed.
>
> * Gábor Braun discovered that mpost did not always download the font
>    encodings into all the created output files.
>
> * Akira Kakuto and Hartmut Henkel found some small issues in mpto
>    regarding trailing and leading whitespace.
>
> * A fix for the 'Helvetica' entries in trfonts.map was provided by
>    Werner Lemberg, and Michail Vidiassov supplied two extra font
>    entries for troff.map (Symbol and ZapfDingbats). Karl Berry
>    provided the new file troff-updmap.map, to be used by the updmap
>    tool in texlive.
>
> * Mpost now supports web2c's --output-directory option.
>
> * Any warnings about missing fonts and characters are now always
>    written to the terminal as well as to the log.
>
> * Now that makempx is a C program, it needed a different install line
>    in build.sh. Also, Olaf Mersmann contributed a patch to recognize
>    'gmake' in build.sh
>
> * Luigi Scarso found some typing errors in the web source that
> prevented
>    clean weaving of the source.
>
> * Stephan Hennig fixed a number of problems in the manual (mpman.tex)
>    and the introduction paper (mpintro.tex). He also wrote new
> sections
>    on how to preview metapost graphics and on how to use metapost
>    graphics inside  other documents. On top of that, the manual is now
>    hypertext-aware, and fixes for a whole series of small problems
> have
>    been applied.

> Legal notice / license / bug reports
> MetaPost is a system for producing graphics developed by John Hobby
> at AT&T, based on Donald Knuth's Metafont.  The MetaPost home page
> is http://tug.org/metapost.
>
> MetaPost and related programs are in the public domain.
>
> The MetaPost development project is currently hosted at Supelec,
> https://foundry.supelec.fr/projects/metapost; please report bugs and
> request enhancements through there if possible. Alternatively, you
> can reach us through the <metapost@tug.org> mailing list as well.
>
> Have fun!
>
> Taco Hoekwater, for the MetaPost team, November 14, 2007

> ntg-context
> wiki     : http://contextgarden.net
> _____________

Andrea Valle
CIRMA - DAMS
Università degli Studi di Torino
--> http://www.cirma.unito.it/andrea/
--> andrea.valle@unito.it

I did this interview where I just mentioned that I read Foucault. Who
doesn't in university, right? I was in this strip club giving this
guy a lap dance and all he wanted to do was to discuss Foucault with
me. Well, I can stand naked and do my little dance, or I can discuss
Foucault, but not at the same time; too much information.
(Annabel Chong)

* Re: [tex-implementors] MetaPost 1.001 announcement
@ 2007-11-14 18:06 ` Staszek Wawrykiewicz
From: Staszek Wawrykiewicz @ 2007-11-14 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Taco Hoekwater
  Cc: ntg-context, metapost, metafont, tex-implementors, TeX Live production

On Wed, 14 Nov 2007, Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> The MetaPost team is happy to announce a new release of MetaPost:

> MetaPost 1.001
>
> The sources and a win32 package can be downloaded immediately from
>
>    https://foudnry.supelec.fr/projects/metapost/
>
> The source package should compile normally on all systems that are
> capable of compiling a modern web2c-based TeX distribution.
>
> The win32 package is intended for texlive or a similar web2c-based
> installation, and has been tested only with TeXLive 2007. These
> executables will *not* work for miktex, sorry.

Many thanks for the announcement, but (for a sake) we will use for
Tex Live the compilation made by Akira, right?

--
Staszek Wawrykiewicz
StaW@gust.org.pl

* Re: MetaPost 1.001 announcement
@ 2007-11-14 18:59   ` L. Nobre G.
From: L. Nobre G. @ 2007-11-14 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Taco Hoekwater; +Cc: ntg-context, metafont, tex-implementors, metapost

On 14/11/2007, Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com> wrote:
> Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> > The MetaPost team is happy to announce a new release of MetaPost:

> > MetaPost 1.001
> >
> > The sources and a win32 package can be downloaded immediately from
> >
> >    https://foudnry.supelec.fr/projects/metapost/
>
> Sorry, that is (almost) the same typo as in the previous announcement.
> It should be:
>
>    http://foundry.supelec.fr/projects/metapost/

Well, it works for me
but

1) It is about time to update the file "INSTALL". I use a Debian
GNU/Linux system with TeX-Live 2007, so I run the script "build.linux"
to compile the MetaPost source. This script creates a "native"
directory containing all the necessary executables and there is no
"mp.pool" anymore. When copying the executables to
"texlive/2007/bin/i386-linux/" (or similar) one should remember to
"chown root:staff *"

2) MetaPost programs starting with

   verbatimtex
   \documentclass{article}
   \usepackage{amsmath}
   \usepackage{amssymb}
   \usepackage{mathptm}
   \begin{document}
   etex;

   defaultfont := "cmr12";
   defaultscale := 12pt /fontsize defaultfont;

are now broken when using "export TEX=latex".

Greetings
--
L. Nobre G. - http://burocracia.blogspot.com/
"The human species is entering a period of dramatic and potentially

* Re: MetaPost 1.001 announcement
@ 2007-11-14 22:37   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-11-14 22:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andrea Valle wrote:
>>    https://foudnry.supelec.fr/projects/metapost/
>

> (little typo)
>
> Sorry Taco, but it is a step  on the way to MegaPost, or are they two
> separate project?

megapost is now mplib, development starts soon, first betas early next
year

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE