* JPEG file couldn't be read
@ 2004-01-27 22:00 Johannes Hüsing
From: Johannes Hüsing @ 2004-01-27 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

this is most probably a pdfetex question, but I don't feel like
subscribing to a new list to have it answered.

I get the error message:

Error: pdfetex (file ./rimg0016.jpg): reading JPEG image failed
on a \useexternalfigure definition and \externalfigure call.

Typing "file rimg0016.jpg" gets me
"rimg0016.jpg: JPEG image data, EXIF standard 0.77, 42 x 0"
and the file is shown as expected by "display rimg0016.jpg".
This all happens under a TeXLive 7 distribution on a Debian
Woody Linux box.

Any ideas how I have to convert the files to please pdfetex?

Greetings

Johannes
--
Johannes Hüsing   There is something fascinating about science. One gets
hannes@ruhrau.de  such wholesale returns of conjecture from such a

* Re: JPEG file couldn't be read
@ 2004-01-28 21:40 ` Hartmut Henkel
From: Hartmut Henkel @ 2004-01-28 21:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004, Johannes Hüsing wrote:

> Error: pdfetex (file ./rimg0016.jpg): reading JPEG image failed

Seems there are only a few error possibilities in some function
read_jpg_info(). Could you put the image online for checking?

Regards, Hartmut

* Re: JPEG file couldn't be read
@ 2004-01-29  6:05   ` Johannes Hüsing
From: Johannes Hüsing @ 2004-01-29  6:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hartmut Henkel <hartmut_henkel@gmx.de> [Wed, Jan 28, 2004 at 10:40:59PM CET]:
> On Tue, 27 Jan 2004, Johannes Hüsing wrote:
>
> > Error: pdfetex (file ./rimg0016.jpg): reading JPEG image failed
>
> Seems there are only a few error possibilities in some function
> read_jpg_info(). Could you put the image online for checking?

Certainly: http://www.panix.com/~derwisch/elmar/finger.jpg

I have sidestepped the problem by converting the images with help
of ImageMagick. The resulting JPEG images are processed without
problems.

--

@ 2004-01-29  8:13     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2004-01-29  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 07:05 29/01/2004, you wrote:
>Hartmut Henkel <hartmut_henkel@gmx.de> [Wed, Jan 28, 2004 at 10:40:59PM CET]:
> > On Tue, 27 Jan 2004, Johannes Hüsing wrote:
> >
> > > Error: pdfetex (file ./rimg0016.jpg): reading JPEG image failed
> >
> > Seems there are only a few error possibilities in some function
> > read_jpg_info(). Could you put the image online for checking?
> >

>Certainly: http://www.panix.com/~derwisch/elmar/finger.jpg
>
>I have sidestepped the problem by converting the images with help
>of ImageMagick. The resulting JPEG images are processed without
>problems.

On windows this produced a stand alone pdf graphic:

   \starttext \startTEXpage \externalfigure[finger.jpg] \stopTEXpage \stoptext

For the brave, the next also works:

   \starttext \startTEXpage
\externalfigure[http://www.panix.com/\string~derwisch/elmar/finger.jpg]
\stopTEXpage \stoptext

However, texexec --pdf --fig=c finger.jpg faisl because texutil cannot read
the jpg banner, so there is something with the file.

On the other hand,

   identify.rb finger.jpg

gives me:

   http://www.pragma-pod.com/downloads/whatever/graphics.pdf

anyhow, you can use

   http://www.pragma-pod.com/downloads/whatever/finger.pdf

in your doc (also faster)

Hans

* Re: JPEG file couldn't be read
@ 2004-01-29 19:01     ` Hartmut Henkel
From: Hartmut Henkel @ 2004-01-29 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004, Johannes Hüsing wrote:

> Certainly: http://www.panix.com/~derwisch/elmar/finger.jpg

gives no problems here, e. g. in plain pdfetex 1.11b this works without
any warning or error:

\pdfximage{finger.jpg}
\setbox0=\hbox{\pdfrefximage\pdflastximage}
\showthe\wd0
\showthe\ht0
\showthe\dp0
\box0
\bye

gives 1284.8pt/963.6pt/0.0pt

And it looked like your error came right out of pdfetex. This Exif-JPEG
format is _tolerated_ by pdf(e)tex since 1.10a, and no change in the
code since then. Do you happen to use an older pdfetex version? But why
is Hans' texexec giving problems?

> I have sidestepped the problem by converting the images with help of
> ImageMagick. The resulting JPEG images are processed without problems.

...which has most likely removed the Exif header.

Regards, Hartmut