* french hyphenation after l-apostrophe doesn't work
@ 2005-01-20 16:38 Steffen Wolfrum
From: Steffen Wolfrum @ 2005-01-20 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

when, in a french project, the line ends with e.g. l'int\'{e}r^{e}t
then context doesn't hyphenate "l'interet" and the line gets stretched.
(If I wouldn't have the l-apostroph construction then the word is hyphenated "in-teret", so its hyphenation is know to TeX.)

But for I have a lot of this "l-apostroph" constructions at line endings in my document it is impossible to type individually \- at the best breaking points (here after "in-"). I need to have a global option that re-activates the hyphenation even if the word starts with l-apostroph.

When I typeset the apostrophe like a slash: l|'|int\'{e}r^{e}t
then the line gets broken, but after "l'" and I was told this is wrong in french.

So what else could be done to automatically break int\'{e}r^{e}t again but *not* after l' ?

Thank you for any help,

Steffen

* Re: french hyphenation after l-apostrophe doesn't work
@ 2005-01-20 18:08 ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2005-01-20 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005, Steffen Wolfrum wrote:

> when, in a french project, the line ends with e.g. l'int\'{e}r^{e}t
> then context doesn't hyphenate "l'interet" and the line gets stretched.
> (If I wouldn't have the l-apostroph construction then the word is
> hyphenated "in-teret", so its hyphenation is know to TeX.)

Hello Steffen,
perhaps you just need a font with "real" accented characters, such as
Latin-Modern. This works for me:

\enableregime[il1]
\usetypescript[modern][texnansi]
\setupbodyfont[modern]