* RE: How to cook Garamond
@ 2005-04-05 14:54 Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2005-04-05 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Peter,

>===== Original Message From Peter Münster <pmlists@free.fr> =====
>> accented chars also? you dropped the (re)encoding ...
>
>No, you're right, only ASCII works...
>
>Here another try, that seems to work even with accented chars (but I do *not*
>understand, what I do... ;) :

>texnansi-raw-ugmm8a GaramondNo8-Med "TeXnANSIEncoding ReEncodeFont"
<texnansi.enc <ugmm8a.pfb

I'm curious: how did you figure this out? Where does the "TeXnANSIEncoding
ReEncodeFont" syntax come from? (Just trying to learn...)

I'm happy it's working for you now:-)

Best
Idris

============================
Professor Idris Samawi Hamid
Department of Philosophy
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, CO 80523

* RE: How to cook Garamond
@ 2005-04-05 17:19 ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2005-04-05 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 5 Apr 2005, Idris Samawi Hamid wrote:

> >texnansi-raw-ugmm8a GaramondNo8-Med "TeXnANSIEncoding ReEncodeFont"
> <texnansi.enc <ugmm8a.pfb
>
> I'm curious: how did you figure this out? Where does the "TeXnANSIEncoding
> ReEncodeFont" syntax come from? (Just trying to learn...)

There are a lot of lines in the file
/opt/teTeX/texmf-var/fonts/map/dvips/updmap/psfonts_t1.map
on my system. I've just looked around and copied here and there some
fields to the Garamond-lines, just until dvips produced the right output.
I've got the right solution after about a dozen tries.
Cheers, Peter

--
http://pmrb.free.fr/contact/

* Re: How to cook Garamond
@ 2005-04-05  6:05     ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2005-04-05  6:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 4 Apr 2005, Hans Hagen wrote:

> Peter Münster wrote:
> > On Sun, 3 Apr 2005, Idris Samawi Hamid wrote:
> >

> >>syntax:
> >>
> >>=========myfont.map===========
> >>plb10     PLB10     <plb10.pfb
> >>===========================
> >

> > Thank you!
> >
> > I changed the lines
> >
> > texnansi-raw-ugmm8a GaramondNo8-Med 4 < ugmm8a.pfb texnansi.enc
> > texnansi-raw-ugmmi8a GaramondNo8-MedIta 4 < ugmmi8a.pfb texnansi.enc
> > texnansi-raw-ugmr8a GaramondNo8-Reg 4 < ugmr8a.pfb texnansi.enc
> > texnansi-raw-ugmri8a GaramondNo8-Ita 4 < ugmri8a.pfb texnansi.enc

> > texnansi-raw-ugmm8a GaramondNo8-Med <ugmm8a.pfb
> > texnansi-raw-ugmmi8a GaramondNo8-MedIta <ugmmi8a.pfb
> > texnansi-raw-ugmr8a GaramondNo8-Reg <ugmr8a.pfb
> > texnansi-raw-ugmri8a GaramondNo8-Ita <ugmri8a.pfb
> >
> > And now it works!
>
> accented chars also? you dropped the (re)encoding ...

No, you're right, only ASCII works...

Here another try, that seems to work even with accented chars (but I do *not*
understand, what I do... ;) :

texnansi-raw-ugmm8a GaramondNo8-Med "TeXnANSIEncoding ReEncodeFont" <texnansi.enc <ugmm8a.pfb
texnansi-raw-ugmmi8a GaramondNo8-MedIta "TeXnANSIEncoding ReEncodeFont" <texnansi.enc <ugmmi8a.pfb
texnansi-raw-ugmr8a GaramondNo8-Reg "TeXnANSIEncoding ReEncodeFont" <texnansi.enc <ugmr8a.pfb
texnansi-raw-ugmri8a GaramondNo8-Ita "TeXnANSIEncoding ReEncodeFont" <texnansi.enc <ugmri8a.pfb

Cheers, Peter

--
http://pmrb.free.fr/contact/

* Re: How to cook Garamond
@ 2005-04-04 19:41   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-04-04 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Münster wrote:
> On Sun, 3 Apr 2005, Idris Samawi Hamid wrote:
>

>>syntax:
>>
>>=========myfont.map===========
>>plb10     PLB10     <plb10.pfb
>>===========================
>

> Thank you!
>
> I changed the lines
>
> texnansi-raw-ugmm8a GaramondNo8-Med 4 < ugmm8a.pfb texnansi.enc
> texnansi-raw-ugmmi8a GaramondNo8-MedIta 4 < ugmmi8a.pfb texnansi.enc
> texnansi-raw-ugmr8a GaramondNo8-Reg 4 < ugmr8a.pfb texnansi.enc
> texnansi-raw-ugmri8a GaramondNo8-Ita 4 < ugmri8a.pfb texnansi.enc

> texnansi-raw-ugmm8a GaramondNo8-Med <ugmm8a.pfb
> texnansi-raw-ugmmi8a GaramondNo8-MedIta <ugmmi8a.pfb
> texnansi-raw-ugmr8a GaramondNo8-Reg <ugmr8a.pfb
> texnansi-raw-ugmri8a GaramondNo8-Ita <ugmri8a.pfb
>
> And now it works!

accented chars also? you dropped the (re)encoding ...

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* RE: How to cook Garamond
@ 2005-04-04 17:16 ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2005-04-04 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2005-04-03 21:13 Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2005-04-03 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

>===== Original Message From h h extern <pragma@wxs.nl> =====
>as soon as
>
>- dvipdfmx supports map file specials
>- pdftex is updated around the world
>
>i will change a few defaults in context; currently what works well for new
>versions of pdftex may fail in older ones;

Is this related to why aleph complains that etex is too old? I know it's
probably hopeless till Giuseppe comes back, but I'll ask anyway: Is there any
way to compile a new aleph with the new eTeX and jonathan kew's bugfix for the
extra mem_bot before Giuseppe returns?

All the best
Idris

============================
Professor Idris Samawi Hamid
Department of Philosophy
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, CO 80523

* Re: How to cook Garamond
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-04-03 20:57 ` Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2005-04-03 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Idris,

Thank you very much for your quick reaction providing us with a complete
set of instructions! -- After the small correction in the type-ugm.tex
the fonts worked immediately!

Thanks!

Willi

* RE: How to cook Garamond
@ 2005-04-03 20:23 Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2005-04-03 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

>===== Original Message From Peter Münster <pmrb@free.fr> =====
>> I've had the same problem-) you need a separate map file for dvips (and
>> dvipdfm). Ah, the TeX "font mess"...
>
>Do you know, how the content of this file should look like?
>Cheers, Peter

Try this:

Add the line

p +myfont.map

to your local dvips.ps file, in
/fonts/dvips/config

syntax:

=========myfont.map===========
plb10     PLB10     <plb10.pfb
===========================

place in your local /fonts/dvips/config

for dvipdfmx: add

f myfont.map

to your local /fonts/dvipdfm/config config file.

dvipdfmx has a slightly different syntax, it includes encoding info:

=========myfont.map.dvipdfmx===========
plb10     texnansi    <plb10.pfb
===========================

place in your local /fonts/dvipdfm/config

This generally works for me. CAUTION: on Linux I've had problems because of
precise spelling (capitals versus lower case). so your map file entries must
match the case for your tfm files, etc.

Best
Idris

============================
Professor Idris Samawi Hamid
Department of Philosophy
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, CO 80523

* Re: How to cook Garamond
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-04-03 20:07 ` h h extern
From: h h extern @ 2005-04-03 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Idris Samawi Hamid wrote:

> Dear syndicate,

ok, the always messy font business ...

the problem is not so much in context since what it needs is just a bunch of
files, but in the simple fact that there are conflicting demands/messy situations

- we need to be able to install commercial fonts (no metrics available)
- some fonts come in more versions (different vendors)
- some users need something different that default/ec/texnansi
- many users want to use metrics from the distributions
- but as times goes by, distributions change, font are renamed, come and go
- the way pdftex deals with fonts improves over time, for instance nowadays one
can load map files on any page
- some users load map files on demand, others use the big one and therefore
depend on the [not portable] platform tools like updmap
- locations in the texmf tree change (texmf, texmf-dist, enc/map paths) and
although it is possible to catch a lot [downward compatibility] with the
texmf.cnf file this is not what happens in practice
- also, part of the problem is that the past still rules (design sizes, math
versus text, normal glyphs versus composed ones)

the problem can partically be solved by

- providing more typescripts (i add entries to type-buy, type-fsf, type-ghz for
each commercial font i use)
- distributing metrics for commercial fonts (+ type-win)
- try to avoid conflicting demands (using platform font names for not
distributed fonts)

the same is true for hyphenation patterns, and i already have put context
friendly version on the web; i will probably add them to the distribution

also, if you use context exclusively or don't have a problem with some
redundancy, live is more comfortable too.

currently when things go wrong there are two situations:

- no metrics found (tex error)
- no enc/map/pfb/ttf found (pdftex backend problem)

when sorting out things, try to distinguish between them; carefully look at the
log (missing messages)

as soon as

- dvipdfmx supports map file specials
- pdftex is updated around the world

i will change a few defaults in context; currently what works well for new
versions of pdftex may fail in older ones;

> =============texnansi-urw-garamond.map==============
> % You need to add the following line to pdftex.cfg:
> %
> %   map +texnansi-urw-garamond.map
> %

^^^ this is no longer valid in newer versions of pdftex

> If there are better/more aesthetic choices for sans and math, let me know-)

you may want to apply rscale=... for sans, mono and math

> Have fun with Garamond!

indeed, these are the steps!

concerning platform fonts ... i'll put a zip on the website with the metrics
(that i so far generated); the only difference there is that you need to make an
afm file from the ttf and that you need to add the platform font path to the
truetype paths etc

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* RE: How to cook Garamond
@ 2005-04-03 18:32 ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2005-04-03 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 3 Apr 2005, Idris Samawi Hamid wrote:

> >Then I tried
> >texfont --fontroot=/opt/teTeX/texmf-dist/fonts --ma --in --ve=urw
> >--co=garamond --show

I've found my error: it must be --fontroot=/opt/teTeX/texmf-dist

The only problem, that remains: dvips seems to have problems with the
map-file, but not xdvi nor pdftex. I attache the PostScript-file, that
dvips produces from
\usetypescriptfile[type-ugm]
\usetypescript[URWGaramond]
\setupbodyfont[urwgaramond]
\starttext
Hallo
\stoptext

Output of dvips-run:
This is dvips(k) 5.95a Copyright 2005 Radical Eye Software (www.radicaleye.com)
' TeX output 2005.04.03:2025' -> test.ps
<tex.pro><texps.pro>. <ugmr8a.pfb>[1]

Nevertheless: thanks a lot, Idris!
Cheers, Peter

--
http://pmrb.free.fr/contact/

[-- Attachment #2: Type: APPLICATION/postscript, Size: 28067 bytes --]

* RE: How to cook Garamond
@ 2005-04-03 16:18 Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2005-04-03 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Peter Münster

<ntg-context@ntg.nl> =====
>Idris,
>I just noticed that your type-ugm.tex file has the italic and bold
>faces swapped.
>Just to let you know.

Thnx, I'll fix it.

Since you both use teTeX, maybe you could help Peter get his Garamond working
too:-)

Best
Idris

============================

@ 2005-04-03 15:58 Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2005-04-03 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Peter,

>===== Original Message From Peter Münster <pmlists@free.fr> =====
>On Sat, 2 Apr 2005, Idris Samawi Hamid wrote:
>
>> 3. from /temp>, run
>>
>> texfont --ma --in --ve=urw --co=garamond --show
>
>Hello Idris,
>with this command, I get the following error (I'm using teTeX-3.0):
>processing aborted : unknown tex root

There is a unix script in mswincontext.zip that I suppose is also in the tetex
package: setuptex.csh. I don't know how 2 use it (I still live in the Evil
Empire for now-<) but usually I run setuptex.bat before starting the context
utilities; otherwise I get errors like the above.

>Then I tried
>texfont --fontroot=/opt/teTeX/texmf-dist/fonts --ma --in --ve=urw
>--co=garamond --show
>
>This produces the following error:
>(/opt/teTeX/texmf-dist/tex/context/base/s-fnt-01.tex)
>kpathsea: Running mktextfm texnansi-ugmm8a
>mktextfm: Running mf-nowin -progname=mf \mode:=ljfzzz; mag:=1;
>nonstopmode; input texnansi-ugmm8a
>This is METAFONT, Version 2.71828 (Web2C 7.5.4)
>
>kpathsea: Running mktexmf texnansi-ugmm8a
>! I can't find file `texnansi-ugmm8a'.

I'm not sure, did you texhash (although texfont should have done that for
you)?

Did TeXFont at least install the font for you, before trying to compile the
show file? Check to see if it installed, e.g. the 8 tfms in e.g.
/texmf-fonts/fonts/tfm/urw/garamond

>So I tried step 4:
>
>> 4. If texfont does not work, you will have to do more work-> the zip
package
>> contains tfms etc, and here is a map file you will need:
>
>I installed this mapfile in /opt/teTeX/texmf-dist/fonts/map/pdftex/context
>
>> % You need to add the following line to pdftex.cfg:
>> %
>> %   map +texnansi-urw-garamond.map
>> %
>> % Alternatively in your TeX source you can say:
>> %
>> %   \pdf    {+texnansi-urw-garamond.map}
>
>I suppose, you mean \pdfmapfile

Well, I just copied the map file created by texfont;-)

<snip>

>Perhaps I have to rename the tfm files?

Yes, I just checked the garamond distribution; you will have to rename them.
Not only that, but texfont creates 8 tfm files (four raw and four virtual
fonts I presume):

texnansi-raw-ugmm8a.tfm, etc

texnansi-ugmm8a.tfm, etc

So step four is really a nightmare, I should have actually tried it before
recommending it, sorry..

<snip>

>Do you have any idea, what could be wrong on my system?

Ciro uses teTeX and got this to work; maybe he has some idea. My own
suggestion is to make sure you are using the latest context tetex distribution
(3-16-05 last I checked), setuptex.csh, hash, and get texfont working.

Sorry I cannot be of more help...

Best
Idris

============================

@ 2005-04-03  8:12 ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2005-04-03  8:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 2 Apr 2005, Idris Samawi Hamid wrote:

> 3. from /temp>, run
>
> texfont --ma --in --ve=urw --co=garamond --show

Hello Idris,
with this command, I get the following error (I'm using teTeX-3.0):
processing aborted : unknown tex root

Then I tried
texfont --fontroot=/opt/teTeX/texmf-dist/fonts --ma --in --ve=urw
--co=garamond --show

This produces the following error:
(/opt/teTeX/texmf-dist/tex/context/base/s-fnt-01.tex)
kpathsea: Running mktextfm texnansi-ugmm8a
mktextfm: Running mf-nowin -progname=mf \mode:=ljfzzz; mag:=1;
nonstopmode; input texnansi-ugmm8a
This is METAFONT, Version 2.71828 (Web2C 7.5.4)

kpathsea: Running mktexmf texnansi-ugmm8a
! I can't find file `texnansi-ugmm8a'.

So I tried step 4:

> 4. If texfont does not work, you will have to do more work-> the zip package
> contains tfms etc, and here is a map file you will need:

I installed this mapfile in /opt/teTeX/texmf-dist/fonts/map/pdftex/context

> % You need to add the following line to pdftex.cfg:
> %
> %   map +texnansi-urw-garamond.map
> %
> % Alternatively in your TeX source you can say:
> %
> %   \pdf    {+texnansi-urw-garamond.map}

I suppose, you mean \pdfmapfile

> % In ConTeXt you can best use:
> %
> %   \loadmapfile[texnansi-urw-garamond.map]

Neither of these 3 possibilities work, I get always the same error with
your test file:
(/opt/teTeX/texmf-dist/tex/context/base/type-akb.tex) (./type-ugm.tex)
kpathsea: Running mktextfm texnansi-ugmr8a
mktextfm: Running mf-nowin -progname=mf \mode:=ljfzzz; mag:=1;
nonstopmode; input texnansi-ugmr8a
This is METAFONT, Version 2.71828 (Web2C 7.5.4)

kpathsea: Running mktexmf texnansi-ugmr8a
! I can't find file `texnansi-ugmr8a'.

Perhaps I have to rename the tfm files?

No problem with LaTeX:
\documentclass{article}
\renewcommand{\rmdefault}{ugm}
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage{textcomp}
\begin{document}
\input knuth
\end{document}

Do you have any idea, what could be wrong on my system?

TIA for any help!
Cheers, Peter

--
http://pmrb.free.fr/contact/

* Re: How to cook Garamond
@ 2005-04-03  4:29 ` Ciro Soto
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Ciro Soto @ 2005-04-03  4:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Idris,
I just noticed that your type-ugm.tex file has the italic and bold
faces swapped.
Just to let you know.

Ciro

On Apr 2, 2005 7:15 PM, Idris Samawi Hamid <ishamid@lamar.colostate.edu> wrote:
> [...]
> [mm] [math] [palatino] [default]
> [encoding=texnansi]
>
> \definetypeface [urwgaramond]
> [tt] [mono] [modern] [default]
> [encoding=texnansi]
>
> \stoptypescript
>
> ===========================
>
> If there are better/more aesthetic choices for sans and math, let me know-)
>
> 6. Test it out:
>
> ===========================
> % output=pdf interface=en
>
> \starttext
>
> \usetypescriptfile[type-ugm]
> \usetypescript[URWGaramond]
> %\setupbodyfont[urwgaramond,12pt]
>
> \definetypeface  [garamond][rm][serif][garamond][default][encoding=texnansi]
> \switchtotypeface[garamond]
>
> \input knuth
>
> \stoptext
> ===========================
>
> You try \setupbodyfont instead of \definetypeface.

=======================================
"All problems are at the interface. Each one of them has a solution."
from:
"The Guitar Maker, An Exploration of Wisdom, Design and Love."
A novel by C. A. Soto Aguirre. Pub. Date: Aug. 2005.

* Re: How to cook Garamond
@ 2005-04-03  3:14   ` Ciro Soto
From: Ciro Soto @ 2005-04-03  3:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Idris,
I forgot to give you my thanks for posting the steps...
I'll try with my verdana font.
ciro

@ 2005-04-03  3:13 ` Ciro Soto
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Ciro Soto @ 2005-04-03  3:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

"All problems are at the interface. Each one of them has a solution."
from:
"The Guitar Maker, An Exploration of Wisdom, Design and Love."
A novel by C. A. Soto Aguirre. Pub. Date: Aug. 2005.

* How to cook Garamond
@ 2005-04-03  0:15 Idris Samawi Hamid
                   ` (4 more replies)