* new feature / manual
@ 2005-09-14 19:46 Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-09-14 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

There is a new feature + manual, for those who love obscure mechanisms.

  http://www.pragma-ade.com/general/manuals/xmanipulate.pdf

Even if you dislike manipulations ... the manual mixes iwona and the new
condensed latin modern monospace font.

The preprocess feature is only supported by newtexexec. If you want to
automatically run newtexexec instead of texexec, you need to set the
environment variable TEXMFSTART_MODE to 'experimental' assuming that you
use texmfstart as stub; for those who are not familiar with that:

windows: texexec.bat

@echo off
texmfstart texexec.pl %*

unix: texexec (shell script)

#!/bin/sh
texmfstart texexec.pl $@

(using texmfstart is a guarantee against changes in the policies of
distributions with regards to scripts)

Anyhow, the new feature concerns

- preprocessing of files (e.g. recode for tex files or xslt-ing for xml
files)
- graphic manipulations (downsampling and beyond)

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: new feature / manual
@ 2005-09-15 10:13 ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2005-09-15 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

This doesn't seem to be working here (using OS X + zsh); I always get
the "old" texexec.

Best

Thomas

@ 2005-09-15 11:35   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-09-15 11:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:

> This doesn't seem to be working here (using OS X + zsh); I always get
> the "old" texexec.
>
> Best
>
> Thomas
>
> On Sep 14, 2005, at 9:46 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>> If you want to automatically run newtexexec instead of texexec, you
>> need to set the environment variable TEXMFSTART_MODE to 'experimental'

then you should replace your stub file (something texexec in the bin path)

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: new feature / manual
@ 2005-09-15 12:31     ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2005-09-15 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

bin there, done that (with the file you posted yesterday:

#!/bin/sh
ruby /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/scripts/context/ruby/
texmfstart.rb texexec.pl $@

Is that the right method?

Thomas

@ 2005-09-15 12:38       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-09-15 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:

> bin there, done that (with the file you posted yesterday:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> ruby /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/scripts/context/ruby/
> texmfstart.rb texexec.pl $@

not texexex.pl but just texexec

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: new feature / manual
@ 2005-09-15 12:52         ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2005-09-15 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

OK, works like a charm!!

@ 2005-09-15 16:54 ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2005-09-15 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005, Hans Hagen wrote:

> Anyhow, the new feature concerns
>
> - graphic manipulations (downsampling and beyond)

Oh, I just wanted to submit a new module
(http://pmrb.free.fr/work/OS/ConTeXt/t-degrade.tex) for down-sampling to the
community, so this is no more necessary...
Cheers, Peter

--
http://pmrb.free.fr/contact/

* Re: new feature / manual
@ 2005-09-15 18:30   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-09-15 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Münster wrote:

>On Wed, 14 Sep 2005, Hans Hagen wrote:
>

>>Anyhow, the new feature concerns
>>
>>- graphic manipulations (downsampling and beyond)
>>

>Oh, I just wanted to submit a new module
>(http://pmrb.free.fr/work/OS/ConTeXt/t-degrade.tex) for down-sampling to the
>community, so this is no more necessary...

i can't download the file -)

anyhow, it does not hurt to have multiple methods

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: new feature / manual
@ 2005-09-16 18:06     ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2005-09-16 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005, Hans Hagen wrote:

> >Oh, I just wanted to submit a new module
> >(http://pmrb.free.fr/work/OS/ConTeXt/t-degrade.tex) for down-sampling to the
> >community, so this is no more necessary...
> >
> i can't download the file -)

Oh, what is the error-message?
Peter

--
http://pmrb.free.fr/contact/

* Re: new feature / manual
@ 2005-09-18 18:05       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-09-18 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Münster wrote:

>On Thu, 15 Sep 2005, Hans Hagen wrote:
>

>>>Oh, I just wanted to submit a new module
>>>(http://pmrb.free.fr/work/OS/ConTeXt/t-degrade.tex) for down-sampling to the
>>>community, so this is no more necessary...
>>>

>>i can't download the file -)
>>

>Oh, what is the error-message?

i tried from without thunderbird, which launces firefox, which then hangs (a direct download works);

concerning the code: interesting mix of scripting an texing-) but beware of redefining externalfigure; there is a hook

\externalfigurepostprocessors

since conversion normally happens once, the delayed postprocessing is not a real problem; the advantage is that you then have access to all those \applied... variables

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: new feature / manual
@ 2005-09-20  7:51         ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2005-09-20  7:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005, Hans Hagen wrote:

> concerning the code: interesting mix of scripting an texing-) but beware
> of redefining externalfigure; there is a hook
>
> \externalfigurepostprocessors
>
> since conversion normally happens once, the delayed postprocessing is not
> a real problem; the advantage is that you then have access to all those
> \applied... variables

Thank you! I tried to use these macros, but I cannot get
\appliedfigureoptions expanded to get the height or width of the figure.
The new t-degrade.tex is on the same place. Could you take a look at it
please?
Cheers, Peter

--
http://pmrb.free.fr/contact/

* Re: new feature / manual
@ 2005-09-21  8:33           ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-09-21  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

� wrote:

>On Sun, 18 Sep 2005, Hans Hagen wrote:
>

>>concerning the code: interesting mix of scripting an texing-) but beware
>>of redefining externalfigure; there is a hook
>>
>>\externalfigurepostprocessors
>>
>>since conversion normally happens once, the delayed postprocessing is not
>>a real problem; the advantage is that you then have access to all those
>>\applied... variables
>>

>Thank you! I tried to use these macros, but I cannot get
>\appliedfigureoptions expanded to get the height or width of the figure.
>The new t-degrade.tex is on the same place. Could you take a look at it
>please?

can you send me the file? (extremely crowded mail box so looking backward ...)

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: \appliedfigure... (was: new feature / manual)
@ 2005-09-21 12:21             ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2005-09-21 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005, Hans Hagen wrote:

> >>since conversion normally happens once, the delayed postprocessing is not
> >>a real problem; the advantage is that you then have access to all those
> >>\applied... variables
> >
> >Thank you! I tried to use these macros, but I cannot get
> >\appliedfigureoptions expanded to get the height or width of the figure.
> >The new t-degrade.tex is on the same place. Could you take a look at it
> >please?
> >
> can you send me the file? (extremely crowded mail box so looking backward ...)

In fact, the question is just: how to use \appliedfigureoptions and
\appliedfigurefilename? In the following test-file, \appliedfigureoptions
shows nothing and \appliedfigurefilename gives an error:
\starttext
\externalfigure[/opt/teTeX/texmf-local/tex/context/sample/spider][width=1cm]
\appliedfigureoptions
%\appliedfigurefilename
%% ERROR: Undefined control sequence.
%% \appliedfigurefilename ->\@@effilename
\stoptext

Nevertheless I send here attached the new t-degrade.tex, in order to let
you see how I want to use these two macros.

Another question: when there are two files ./fig.eps and ./degrade/fig.eps
how can I tell ConTeXt to prefer loading the second figure when using
\externalfigure[fig][options] ?
It seems, that \setupexternalfigures[directory={degrade,.}] does not
help...

Greetings, Peter

--
http://pmrb.free.fr/contact/

[-- Attachment #2: Type: APPLICATION/x-tex, Size: 3748 bytes --]

* Re: \appliedfigure...
@ 2005-09-21 14:17               ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-09-21 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

� wrote:

>Another question: when there are two files ./fig.eps and ./degrade/fig.eps
>how can I tell ConTeXt to prefer loading the second figure when using
>\externalfigure[fig][options] ?

you may try prefix=degrade/

this is what the rlx files use

>It seems, that \setupexternalfigures[directory={degrade,.}] does not
>help...

\expanded{\getparameters[Deg][height=,\appliedfigureoptions]}

else the scanner sees no key=value

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: \appliedfigure...
@ 2005-09-21 20:03                 ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2005-09-21 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005, Hans Hagen wrote:

> \expanded{\getparameters[Deg][height=,\appliedfigureoptions]}
>
> else the scanner sees no key=value

I've already tried this, but \appliedfigureoptions seems to be as empty as
\relax...
Cheers, Peter

--
http://pmrb.free.fr/contact/

* Re: \appliedfigure...
@ 2005-11-16 12:40               ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2005-11-16 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Münster wrote:

> In fact, the question is just: how to use \appliedfigureoptions and
> \appliedfigurefilename?

Hi Peter,

It looks like this was never answered, and I think the answer is:
they are only accessible from within the \externalfigurepostprocessors
tokenlist, and are meaningliess/unspecified at the outside.

This works, for me:

    \appendtoks \writestatus{figures}{file=\appliedfigurefilename}
        \to\externalfigurepostprocessors
    \starttext
    \externalfigure[/home/taco/maps33/minion/image-test][width=1cm]
    \stoptext

Does that answer your collector item?

Cheers,
Taco

* Re: \appliedfigure...
@ 2005-11-16 17:45                 ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2005-11-16 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005, Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> This works, for me:
>
>     \appendtoks \writestatus{figures}{file=\appliedfigurefilename}
>         \to\externalfigurepostprocessors
>     \starttext
>     \externalfigure[/home/taco/maps33/minion/image-test][width=1cm]
>     \stoptext
>
> Does that answer your collector item?

Yes and no, \appliedfigureoptions seems to be empty:

\appendtoks \writestatus{figures}{options=\appliedfigureoptions}

@ 2005-11-16 17:53                   ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2005-11-16 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Münster wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Nov 2005, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
>

> Yes and no, \appliedfigureoptions seems to be empty:

It contains only the value of the option= key from
\externalfigure, so it will be empty in this case.

Taco

* Re: \appliedfigure...
@ 2005-11-16 18:29                     ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2005-11-16 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005, Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> Peter Münster wrote:
> > On Wed, 16 Nov 2005, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> >
> > Yes and no, \appliedfigureoptions seems to be empty:
>
> It contains only the value of the option= key from
> \externalfigure, so it will be empty in this case.

Is there any possibility to get "width=1cm" ?
Peter

--
http://pmrb.free.fr/contact/

* Re: \appliedfigure...
@ 2005-11-16 18:38                       ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2005-11-16 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Münster wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Nov 2005, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
>

>>Peter Münster wrote:
>>
>>>On Wed, 16 Nov 2005, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
>>>
>>>Yes and no, \appliedfigureoptions seems to be empty:
>>
>>It contains only the value of the option= key from
>>\externalfigure, so it will be empty in this case.
>
> Is there any possibility to get "width=1cm" ?

Not using \appliedfigure.... , but if you are willing
to mess with \unprotect:

   \unprotect
    \appendtoks
       \writestatus{figures}{@@efwidth=\@@efwidth}
       \writestatus{figures}{figurewidth=\figurewidth}
     \to\externalfigurepostprocessors
   \protect

Not sure if Hans is all that happy with that, though, because
the use of low-level \@@ef... stuff is precisely what the
\applied .. macros were supposed to hide.

Taco

* Re: \appliedfigure...
@ 2005-11-16 22:29                         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-11-16 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> Peter M�nster wrote:

>>> It contains only the value of the option= key from
>>> \externalfigure, so it will be empty in this case.
>>

>> Is there any possibility to get "width=1cm" ?
>

> Not using \appliedfigure.... , but if you are willing
> to mess with \unprotect:
>
>   \unprotect
>    \appendtoks
>       \writestatus{figures}{@@efwidth=\@@efwidth}
>       \writestatus{figures}{figurewidth=\figurewidth}
>     \to\externalfigurepostprocessors
>   \protect
>
> Not sure if Hans is all that happy with that, though, because
> the use of low-level \@@ef... stuff is precisely what the
> \applied .. macros were supposed to hide.

hm, @@ef is going to stay, but it is indeed ugly (maybe some day we have
\figureparameter

btw, how about:

\usemodule[res-trace]

it will let context write a \jobname.rlg (resource log) with some info

Hans

* Re: \appliedfigure...
@ 2005-11-17 21:49                           ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2005-11-17 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005, Hans Hagen wrote:

> >> Is there any possibility to get "width=1cm" ?
> >
> > Not using \appliedfigure.... , but if you are willing
> > to mess with \unprotect:
> >
> >   \unprotect
> >    \appendtoks
> >       \writestatus{figures}{@@efwidth=\@@efwidth}
> >       \writestatus{figures}{figurewidth=\figurewidth}
> >     \to\externalfigurepostprocessors
> >   \protect
> >
> > Not sure if Hans is all that happy with that, though, because
> > the use of low-level \@@ef... stuff is precisely what the
> > \applied .. macros were supposed to hide.
>

> hm, @@ef is going to stay, but it is indeed ugly (maybe some day we have
> \figureparameter

Thanks you, \figurewidth and \figureheight should be enough for me, I think!

Just one last question before improving my t-degrade module:
how can I tell ConTeXt to search for images at first in another directory
than the current directory?
When there are two files ./testimg.eps and ./img/testimg.eps the following
test file includes always the first one:

\setupexternalfigures[directory={./img,.}]
\starttext
\externalfigure[testimg][width=3cm]
\stoptext

Greetings, Peter