From: "Peter Münster" <pmlists@free.fr>
Subject: Re: Continuous chapter numbering
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 23:10:33 +0200 (CEST)	[thread overview]

On Thu, 13 Oct 2005, Randall Skelton wrote:

> I have a technical manual setup in ConTeXt whereby the manual itself is a
> ConTeXt 'project' and each chapter is a different component. Within this, I
> need to group some chapters together so these grouped chapters are products..
> Thus, I have:
>
> project: MyManual
> component: Chapter 1
> component: Chapter 2
> component: Chapter 3
> product: Example 1
> component: Chapter 4
> component: Chapter 5
> product: Example 2
> component: Chapter 6
> component: Chapter 7
> product: Example 3
> component: Chapter 8
> component: Chapter 9

Hello Randall,

it's considered, that the project-file contains only setup-commands and a
list of products, but no commands, that generate directly output.

When you compile a product, the referenced project-file gets included in
some manner, so every product of the project will inherit the same setups.
Compiling the project-file is seldom useful. It will generate all products
in one file.

Consider just, that one product is one document, and a component is a kind
of "sub-document" for example a chapter. And the project-file is just a
list of documents, that should inherit some common setups.

I suggest the following structure:

project: MyManual
		 product: the manual
				  component: Chapter 1