* Continuous chapter numbering
@ 2005-10-13 18:14 Randall Skelton
From: Randall Skelton @ 2005-10-13 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

I have a technical manual setup in ConTeXt whereby the manual itself is a
ConTeXt 'project' and each chapter is a different component. Within this, I
need to group some chapters together so these grouped chapters are products.
Thus, I have:

project: MyManual
component: Chapter 1
component: Chapter 2
component: Chapter 3
product: Example 1
component: Chapter 4
component: Chapter 5
product: Example 2
component: Chapter 6
component: Chapter 7
product: Example 3
component: Chapter 8
component: Chapter 9

Is there a way to have the chapter numbers be continuous rather than
resetting at the beginning of each product? I have already disabled product
numbers in a setupheader command but I'm stumped at how to make the chapter
numbers continuous. I've tried playing with "incrementnumber=file" but I'm
not sure this appropraite... any hints here would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks!
Randall

\setuphead
[part]
[textcommand=\MyPartText,
textstyle={\switchtobodyfont[Titling, 11pt]\sc},
placehead=yes,
color=black,
number=no,
page=right,
continue=no,
header=empty,
distance=0pt,
before=\setups{part:before},
after=\setups{part:after}]

\setuphead[Topic,chapter]
[
numbercommand=\MyChapterNumberText,
incrementnumber=prj_thesis,
textcommand=\MyChapterText,
textstyle={\switchtobodyfont[Titling, 11pt]\sc},
color=black,
number=yes,
page=right,
continue=no,
header=empty,
distance=0pt,
before=\vbox to 3cm\bgroup,
after=\vss\egroup
]

* Re: Continuous chapter numbering
@ 2005-10-13 21:10 ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2005-10-13 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 13 Oct 2005, Randall Skelton wrote:

> I have a technical manual setup in ConTeXt whereby the manual itself is a
> ConTeXt 'project' and each chapter is a different component. Within this, I
> need to group some chapters together so these grouped chapters are products..
> Thus, I have:
>
> project: MyManual
> component: Chapter 1
> component: Chapter 2
> component: Chapter 3
> product: Example 1
> component: Chapter 4
> component: Chapter 5
> product: Example 2
> component: Chapter 6
> component: Chapter 7
> product: Example 3
> component: Chapter 8
> component: Chapter 9

Hello Randall,

it's considered, that the project-file contains only setup-commands and a
list of products, but no commands, that generate directly output.

When you compile a product, the referenced project-file gets included in
some manner, so every product of the project will inherit the same setups.
Compiling the project-file is seldom useful. It will generate all products
in one file.

Consider just, that one product is one document, and a component is a kind
of "sub-document" for example a chapter. And the project-file is just a
list of documents, that should inherit some common setups.

I suggest the following structure:

project: MyManual
		 product: the manual
				  component: Chapter 1
				  component: Chapter 2
				  component: Chapter 3
				  component: Chapter 4
				  component: Chapter 5
				  component: Chapter 6
				  component: Chapter 7
				  component: Chapter 8
				  component: Chapter 9
		 product: Example 1
				  component: title page for example 1
				  component: Chapter 4
				  component: Chapter 5
		 product: Example 2
				  component: title page for example 2
				  component: Chapter 6
				  component: Chapter 7
		 product: Example 3
				  component: title page for example 3
				  component: Chapter 8
				  component: Chapter 9

I hope, this helps.
Cheers, Peter

--
http://pmrb.free.fr/contact/

* Re: Continuous chapter numbering
@ 2005-10-24 22:59 ` Hans Hagen Test
From: Hans Hagen Test @ 2005-10-24 22:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Randall Skelton wrote:

> Is there a way to have the chapter numbers be continuous rather than
> resetting at the beginning of each product?  I have already disabled
> product numbers in a setupheader command but I'm stumped at how to
> make the chapter numbers continuous.  I've tried playing with
> "incrementnumber=file" but I'm not sure this appropraite... any hints
> here would be greatly appreciated.

\setuphead[chapter][resetnumber=no]

\starttext
    \chapter{test}
    \section{foo}
    \section{bar}
    \chapter{test}
    \section{foo}
    \section{bar}
\stoptext

should work with part as well

Hans

* Re: Continuous chapter numbering
@ 2005-10-25  0:53   ` Matthias Weber
From: Matthias Weber @ 2005-10-25  0:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

When I read emails from Hans like this one, I get very suspicious
that he has
a time machine to go backward a few months in time and add a feature
so that it is already
there when it is being requested ---

Matthias

@ 2005-10-25  8:05     ` Hans Hagen Test
From: Hans Hagen Test @ 2005-10-25  8:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Matthias Weber wrote:

> When I read emails from Hans like this one, I get very suspicious
> that he has
> a time machine to go backward a few months in time and add a feature
> so that it is already
> there when it is being requested ---

well think of this: we really needed those feature some time ago, but
never had time to document them at that moment; there is quite some
nasty stuff in there, esp with regards to sectioning

Hans