* vertical stretch problem
@ 2006-01-07 16:45 Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2006-01-07 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,
please consider the following example:

\setupalign[line]% because I want something like "flush-bottom"
\starttext
\chapter{Anhang}
\section{Sec1}
\input tufte

\placetable{bla}{\vbox to 18cm{bla}}

\section{Sec2}
\input tufte
\stoptext

Of course, vertical stretch is good, but not *after* the section titles,
better would be *before*.

How could I better distribute the stretch?

Greetings, Peter

--
http://pmrb.free.fr/contact/

* Re: vertical stretch problem
@ 2006-01-08 10:54 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2006-01-08 10:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Münster wrote:
> Hello,
> please consider the following example:
>
> \setupalign[line]% because I want something like "flush-bottom"
> \starttext
> \chapter{Anhang}
> \section{Sec1}
> \input tufte
>
> \placetable{bla}{\vbox to 18cm{bla}}
>
> \section{Sec2}
> \input tufte
> \stoptext
>
> Of course, vertical stretch is good, but not *after* the section titles,
> better would be *before*.
>
> How could I better distribute the stretch?

You can fix the sections by

   \setupalign[line]
   \setuphead[chapter][before={\hbox{}\blank[2*line]\vfill}]
   \setuphead[section][before={\blank[2*line]\vfil}]

But I wouldn't call that a true solution. Better (perhaps) is:

   \scratchskip 0pt plus 1 fill
   \advance\topskip\scratchskip

Cheers, Taco

* Re: vertical stretch problem
@ 2006-01-08 19:12   ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2006-01-08 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 8 Jan 2006, Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> You can fix the sections by
>
>    \setupalign[line]
>    \setuphead[chapter][before={\hbox{}\blank[2*line]\vfill}]
>    \setuphead[section][before={\blank[2*line]\vfil}]
>
> But I wouldn't call that a true solution. Better (perhaps) is:
>
>    \scratchskip 0pt plus 1 fill
>    \advance\topskip\scratchskip

Thanks Taco!
The normal setup for section header is before=\blank[2*big] and
after=\blank
I wonder, why "\blank" is stretching, but not \blank[2*big]... ?

With LaTeX, I had really good experience: all vertical spaces stretch in
the right proportions and a big float alone on a page gets centred.

Now I would like to achieve the same with ConTeXt, but I'm frightened about
spending days to find the right combination of \vfil, \vfill and \vfills
around every head, formula, float, description, paragraph etc etc...

Ok, if there is no easy way, I will try all "before=" and "after="
possibilities.

Or should I better play with \topskip and other such skips (which ones?) ?

Greetings, Peter

--
http://pmrb.free.fr/contact/