* Linux upgrade
@ 2006-06-22 23:18 John R. Culleton
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: John R. Culleton @ 2006-06-22 23:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have been working with two versions of TeX, neither one of
which is new enough to accomodate all the latest Context bells and
whistles.  I tried downloading context.zip and installing it on my
standard /usr/share/texmf tree. No joy. I get messages telling me to use the
texmfstart command instead. This is as I recall a Windows thingie.
So next I tried linux binaries only. Still no joy.

Let me start all over. Assuming a working TeX installation
(either tetex or texlive 2005) what incantation must I perform to
upgrade to the latest stable Context and what specific zip file
should I use?

It appears that Context is set up primarily for Windows but I use
Slackware Linux 10.2.

--
John Culleton
Books with answers to marketing and publishing questions:

Book coaches, consultants and packagers:

* Re: Linux upgrade
@ 2006-06-23  1:37 ` Aditya Mahajan
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2006-06-23  1:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi John,
  Others will be able to tell you better on how to upgrade on Linux (I
myself use windows) but

> standard /usr/share/texmf tree. No joy. I get messages telling me to use the
> texmfstart command instead. This is as I recall a Windows thingie.

you need texmfstart on linux also. Does everything work fine if you
use texmfstart?

Aditya

* Re: Linux upgrade
@ 2006-06-23  8:44 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2006-06-23  8:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

John R. Culleton wrote:

> Let me start all over. Assuming a working TeX installation
> (either tetex or texlive 2005) what incantation must I perform to

I think it is slighty better to start with TeXLive than with
teTeX because it is a bit newer so you do not have to update
as much, but you may prefer to keep your teTeX.

> upgrade to the latest stable Context and what specific zip file
> should I use?

The wiki is a bit out of date, but there is a complete page on Linux
installations: http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Linux_Installation

After following those instructions, everything should be ok except
for the new ruby script links and texmfstart's warning. For
that, do the following:

   * make sure you have ruby installed. If not, do that first

   * go to the scripts/context/stubs/unix/ directory in your
     freshly unpacked ConTeXt distribution, make sure you
     have write permissions to the TeX binaries directory,
     and run something like the shell script that follows.

     I turned on the interaction of rm and cp, but there are
     NO GUARANTEES!
     My skill in shell programming is pretty awful.

Cheers, Taco

#!/bin/sh

TEXMFBIN=`which texexec`
TEXMFBIN=`dirname $TEXMFBIN`

if [ -f $TEXMFBIN/texmfstart ]; then
    rm -i $TEXMFBIN/texmfstart
fi

cp -i ../../ruby/texmfstart.rb $TEXMFBIN/texmfstart

chmod a+x $TEXMFBIN/texmfstart

for a in *; do
         TEST=`which $a`;
     echo $TEST;
         if [ $TEST ] ; then
       rm -i $TEST
     fi;
     chmod a+x $a
     cp -i $a $TEXMFBIN
done;

* Re: Linux upgrade
@ 2006-06-23  9:39 ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2006-06-23  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

I use texlive under linux .

1) I have an installation from texlive with context under /usr3/TeX
2) I have  this script
PATH=/usr3/TeX/bin/i386-linux:$PATH
So when I want use this installation, I open a shell
and write
$>export PATH=/usr3/TeX/bin/i386-linux:$PATH
Now /usr3/TeX become 'standard tex' in this shell only.
3) when I have a new pdfetex, i compile it and install binary and pool
where appropriate;
after that
3a) $>mktexlsr
3b) ) I remade efmt with
      $>fmtutil --byfmt pdfetex ; mktexlsr
5) when there are new files from pragma for context,
5a) I download them (*.zip)
5b) I put them under /usr3/TeX/texmf-dist
5c) I unzip them all
5d) $>mktexlsr
5e) I made some modification cont-sys.ori -> cont-sys.tex and so on
5f)  $>fmtutil --byfmt cont-en ; mktexlsr

Seem to be all ok .

* Re: Linux upgrade
@ 2006-06-23 14:17   ` John R. Culleton
From: John R. Culleton @ 2006-06-23 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thursday 22 June 2006 09:37 pm, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> Hi John,
>   Others will be able to tell you better on how to upgrade on Linux (I
> myself use windows) but
>
> > standard /usr/share/texmf tree. No joy. I get messages telling me to use
> > the texmfstart command instead. This is as I recall a Windows thingie.
>
> you need texmfstart on linux also. Does everything work fine if you
> use texmfstart?
>
> Aditya

Not yet. I am unsure what texmfstart is supposed to do. It is a
Ruby script. Does it replace texexec or does it manage texexec?

Anyhow back to the starting line. I have reinstalled the version
of tetex that comes with Slackware 10.2 so at least I am
operational. I have in addition downloaded the iso's for
slackware-current. I tried upgrading just the TeX part of
Slackware but there are too many differences in libraries between
Slack 10.2 and Slack current.

For my next step I will install Slack-current on a spare
partition. Then I will test Context there and note the version.
If it is fairly recent then I will proceed using that partition.
If not, then I may experiment with the many and various
suggestions for upgrading.

My thanks to all who replied. I am hanging in there. Someday I
will get the upgrade going, but probably not today.
--

@ 2006-06-23 15:54     ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2006-06-23 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 23 Jun 2006, John R. Culleton wrote:

> On Thursday 22 June 2006 09:37 pm, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
>> Hi John,
>>   Others will be able to tell you better on how to upgrade on Linux (I
>> myself use windows) but
>>
>>> standard /usr/share/texmf tree. No joy. I get messages telling me to use
>>> the texmfstart command instead. This is as I recall a Windows thingie.
>>
>> you need texmfstart on linux also. Does everything work fine if you
>> use texmfstart?
>>
> Not yet. I am unsure what texmfstart is supposed to do. It is a
> Ruby script. Does it replace texexec or does it manage texexec?

texmfstart is a ruby script which manages texexec and other context
script. Basically, instead of calling any script directly, call it
using texmfstart. So,

texexec filename

becomes

texmfstart texexec filename

texutil

becomes

texmfstart texutil

(though most of the functionality has been replaced by ctxtools) and
so on. texmfstart makes sure that the script at the right path is
called and also speeds up things a little when calling different
utilities. It also provides some useful things like ifchanged and
iftoughed. There is a texmfstart manual (bit out of date). Simply
typing texmfstart on the shell lists the available switches.

Aditya

* Re: Linux upgrade
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2006-06-23 16:34 ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2006-06-23 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 22 Jun 2006, John R. Culleton wrote:

> So next I tried linux binaries only. Still no joy.

Hello John,
you could try the tetex-rpm from http://pmrb.free.fr/work/OS/ConTeXt/tetex/
It has the latest ConTeXt (also latest pdfTeX and MetaPost) and a command
"updateConTeXt.sh" to easily update to the most recent ConTeXt.
Cheers, Peter

--
http://pmrb.free.fr/contact/

* Re: Linux upgrade
@ 2006-06-23 17:19       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-06-23 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Aditya Mahajan wrote:

> utilities. It also provides some useful things like ifchanged and
> iftoughed. There is a texmfstart manual (bit out of date). Simply

the source is updated, but not yet the pdf -)

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Linux upgrade
@ 2006-06-23 22:00   ` John R. Culleton
From: John R. Culleton @ 2006-06-23 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Friday 23 June 2006 12:34 pm, Peter Münster wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Jun 2006, John R. Culleton wrote:
> > So next I tried linux binaries only. Still no joy.
>
> Hello John,
> you could try the tetex-rpm from http://pmrb.free.fr/work/OS/ConTeXt/tetex/
> It has the latest ConTeXt (also latest pdfTeX and MetaPost) and a command
> "updateConTeXt.sh" to easily update to the most recent ConTeXt.
> Cheers, Peter
Now that is in interesting download. I see the following files
and instructions:
tetex-3.0-3.i586.rpm-1  20-Jun-2006 17:54  66.8M
[   ] tetex-3.0-3.i586.rpm-2  20-Jun-2006 17:56  41.8M
[SND] tetex-3.0-3.nosrc.rpm   20-Jun-2006 17:56    11k
[   ] tetex-3.0-3.src.rpm-1   20-Jun-2006 17:58  66.8M
[   ] tetex-3.0-3.src.rpm-2   20-Jun-2006 18:01  62.0M
[SND] tetex-3.0-4.nosrc.rpm   21-Jun-2006 21:35    11k

To get the package tetex-3.0-3.i586.rpm, you need to do
cat tetex-3.0-3.i586.rpm-1 tetex-3.0-3.i586.rpm-2 >tetex-3.0-3.i586.rpm

To get the package tetex-3.0-3.src.rpm, you need to do
cat tetex-3.0-3.src.rpm-1 tetex-3.0-3.src.rpm-2 >tetex-3.0-3.src.rpm

Both packages can be build from tetex-3.0-3.nosrc.rpm

Peter

OK if I catenate the two 586 files, I get one rpm. Presumably I
can just unpack the rpm and go. Or do I need to do something
with one of the two nosrc RPMs? And why are there two nosrc RPMs?
I'm a tarball guy myself, although Slack has an RPM command too.
Anyhow the first two are downloading right now. Stay tuned.
Advice welcome.
--

@ 2006-06-23 22:48   ` John R. Culleton
From: John R. Culleton @ 2006-06-23 22:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Peter Münster

On Friday 23 June 2006 12:34 pm, Peter Münster wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Jun 2006, John R. Culleton wrote:
> > So next I tried linux binaries only. Still no joy.
>
> Hello John,
> you could try the tetex-rpm from http://pmrb.free.fr/work/OS/ConTeXt/tetex/
> It has the latest ConTeXt (also latest pdfTeX and MetaPost) and a command
> "updateConTeXt.sh" to easily update to the most recent ConTeXt.
> Cheers, Peter

Well I downloaded the two files, catenated them into one called
tetex.rpm, and then tried to unpack the result with rpm -i tetex.rpm
I got a fistful of spurious error messages. So I missed something
somewhere. Any hints?

--

@ 2006-06-24  7:46     ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2006-06-24  7:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 23 Jun 2006, John R. Culleton wrote:

> Well I downloaded the two files, catenated them into one called
> tetex.rpm, and then tried to unpack the result with rpm -i tetex.rpm
> I got a fistful of spurious error messages. So I missed something
> somewhere. Any hints?

Hello John,
the binary package is build on SuSE-10.1 and I don't know the
particularities of Slackware. What are the error messages?
Perhaps problems with dependencies or conflicts.
Anyway: if you want rpm to behave like tar, then "rpm -i --nodeps --force"
should to it.

My favourite way to get teTeX running:
rpm -i http://pmrb.free.fr/work/OS/ConTeXt/tetex/tetex-3.0-X.nosrc.rpm
rpmbuild -bb --force /usr/src/packages/SPECS/tetex.spec
rpmbuild -bb /usr/src/packages/SPECS/tetex.spec
rpm -Uvh /usr/src/packages/RPMS/YYY/tetex-3.0-X.YYY.rpm

In fact, during the build process, I execute just the instructions on
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/TeTeX_3.0_installation (and a bit more).

Perhaps, I'm not allowed to distribute the big binary package, so I'll
probably remove it soon. Everything should work fine with the
nosrc-package. If not, your feedback is welcome.

Cheers, Peter

--
http://pmrb.free.fr/contact/

* Re: Linux upgrade
@ 2006-07-05 14:25         ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2006-07-05 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 23 Jun 2006, Hans Hagen wrote:

> Aditya Mahajan wrote:
>>
>> utilities. It also provides some useful things like ifchanged and
>> iftoughed. There is a texmfstart manual (bit out of date). Simply
>>
> the source is updated, but not yet the pdf -)

Had a look at the updated manual and learnt about some features of
texmfstart that I did not know. The front page is a nice example of
\sometxt.

Aditya

* Re: Linux upgrade
@ 2006-07-05 23:56   ` gnwiii
From: gnwiii @ 2006-07-05 23:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 6/23/06, Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com> wrote:

> John R. Culleton wrote:
> >
> > Let me start all over. Assuming a working TeX installation
> > (either tetex or texlive 2005) what incantation must I perform to
> [...]
> After following those instructions, everything should be ok except
> for the new ruby script links and texmfstart's warning. For
> that, do the following:
>
>    * make sure you have ruby installed. If not, do that first
>
>    * go to the scripts/context/stubs/unix/ directory in your
>      freshly unpacked ConTeXt distribution, make sure you
>      have write permissions to the TeX binaries directory,
>      and run something like the shell script that follows.
> [...]

This script creates copies of the scripts and has to be run each time
the scripts are updated.
Whenever you make copies Murphy's law says the two versions will diverge.
I'd suggest creating wrapper scripts, one each for perl, ruby, and
java scripts in the directory with the texexec, etc. scripts as
follows:

From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2006-07-11 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

gnwiii@gmail.com wrote:
> On 6/23/06, Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com> wrote:

>>After following those instructions, everything should be ok except
>>for the new ruby script links and texmfstart's warning. For
>>that, do the following:
>>
>>   * make sure you have ruby installed. If not, do that first
>>
>>   * go to the scripts/context/stubs/unix/ directory in your
>>     freshly unpacked ConTeXt distribution, make sure you
>>     have write permissions to the TeX binaries directory,
>>     and run something like the shell script that follows.
>>[...]
>

> This script creates copies of the scripts and has to be run each time
> the scripts are updated.

It does not create copies of any important scripts, it only creates
copies of the stubs that use texmfstart to find the scripts.
There should be no problems with that approach except even if
you forget it occasionally, and it will very likely be added to
ctxtools --update sometime soon, removing the need of post-install
actions completely.

The whole point of texmfstart is that Hans tries to hide kpsewhich
(because it is not present in all distros) and the implementation
language of the actual scripts (because that may change over time).

Greetings, Taco