From: <mari.voipio@iki.fi>
Subject: Fonts: ConTeXt+MikTeX
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 13:23:10 +0300 (EET DST)	[thread overview]

On Mon, 29 Jul 2002, Bill McClain wrote:
> You said earlier you are using MikTex; I think you need to investigate
> that facility first.

Yap, that's at least one of the reasons for font problems. This is a tale
about how we got other fonts (than Computer Modern) to work, the
combination I use is WindowsNT + MikTeX + WinEdt

Problem number 1: ConTeXt really *hates* paths that have a space in them,
like C:\Program Files. If your MikTeX is installed in that directory or
any other one with a space in its name, you will run into problems with
the fonts.
Remedy: Install MikTeX in the texmf directory. Or at least in a directory
of its own at the root, that probably works as well. The text below is an
extract of my brother's (I guess that's no secret...) earlier message from
when we fought with this problem:

"My old MiKTeX installation was installed at
C:\Program Files\MiKTeX. The space in the path confused texfont, it
complained about "c:program" not found. Installing to d:/texmf removed
this complaint. (However, I'd love to keep my programs in the "program
files" folder, so this should be solved, as well.)"

[message URL:
<http://ml-archives.mini.pw.edu.pl/ntg-context/msg07981.html>]

Problem number 2: Using the fonts still needs some more tricks. What works
for us, although a bit slowly (though I haven't tried all the hints in the
above mentioned thread yet), is the following code:

\setupencoding[default=ec]
\usetypescript [berry] [ec]
\setupbodyfont[pos,10pt]

This let's me use a standard postscript font which looks remarkably like
the Times New Roman we have in our old manual made by Word - it is a lot
more alike than Computer Modern and will photocopy a lot better, too.

I think that can be elaborated a bit, but I don't quite understand yet
what the above code does so tweaking it is kind of difficult... (I *hate*
touching any code I don't thoroughly understand.) At least I now have some
kind of chance to experiment with the different urw fonts.

mari