* MikTeX font problems (again!)
@ 2002-08-20 14:26 mari.voipio
From: mari.voipio @ 2002-08-20 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello everybody!

Over the last 14 days I've learned great many things about font handling
in ConTeXt (once in a while I even think I understand some of it...), but
my fonts STILL don't work. I think this is a MikTeX problem and tomorrow
I'll get another computer to play with and can try TexLive, but I would
love to get the fonts to work in MikTeX as well.
Has anyone succeeded as yet?

My OS is WindowsNT and I used my admin rights while doing all the
installation work. My editor is WinEdt. My main texmf directory is
c:\texmf and my local texmf directory is c:\localtexmf (no separate font
directory). Both are in the path.

What I did was

1. I used the MikTeX Update Wizard to upgrade to MikTeX 2.2.
2. I downloaded the newest ConTeXt and unzipped it into the
   appropriate directory.
3. I tried to update the format files (MikTeX Options, General).
   Got the "increase poolsize" warning at cont-en. Cancelled update,
   went to miktex.ini and increased the pool size from
   500000 to 1000000. Retried format update and made it this time.
4. I generated font map files with the command
	texfont --encoding=ec --batch type-tmf.dat
   Some of the map files (mostly original-*) are in
	C:\texmf\pdftex\config\context
   (I guess they were there from before?)
   Most of the map files (among others -urw-*) are in
	C:\localtexmf\pdftex\config
   and the equivalent tex files (like ec-urw-times.tex)
   appeared at root (C:\), probably because I was dumb
   enough to give the texfont command there. Does
   it matter where these files go to?
5. I went back to the MikTeX Options and clicked the
   "Refresh now" button at File Name Database.
6. I opened c:\texmf\tex\context\base\type-map.tex and
   commented the fonts/encodings I'm not using (8r and texnansi).
   I don't know if I'm supposed to do this, but it does save
   me from unnecessary complaints later.

After all this I tried the system with \usetypescript[map][all], i.e. I
ran texexec on the following minitestfile:

-----
%output=pdftex

\setupencoding[default=ec]
\usetypescript[map][all]

\starttext

Text. å ä æ ö ø ð þ

\stoptext
-----

[The odd letters (diacritics etc.) above are the ones I'm most
likely to need, that's why this setup. My standard cmr doesn't have any
of them. I also found out with my real file that it doesn't have a degree
sign either. :-( ]

Result: a log full of complaints about pdftex not being able to find the
map files that definitely a) exist and b) should be in the path. I've
pasted the log to the end of this message...

What went wrong? What did I forget? Did I do something wrong? Or just in
wrong order? What, why, where is this #¤% problem?

Mari
(Not being able to use any of my beloved Nordic languages starts to get on
my nerves...)

The LOG:

This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.14159-1.00c-pretest-20020426-2.1 (MiKTeX 2.2)
(preloaded format=cont-en 2002.8.20)  20 AUG 2002 17:17
entering extended mode
**map-test2.tex
(map-test2.tex{pdftex.cfg}

ConTeXt  ver: 2002.8.18  fmt: 2002.8.20  int: english  mes: english

language       : language en is active
<protectionstate 0>
system         : cont-new loaded
(C:\texmf\tex\context\base\cont-new.tex
systems        : beware: some patches loaded from cont-new.tex!
)
system         : cont-old loaded
(C:\texmf\tex\context\base\cont-old.tex
)
system         : cont-fil loaded
(C:\texmf\tex\context\base\cont-fil.tex
)
system         : cont-sys loaded
(C:\texmf\tex\context\user\cont-sys.tex
symbols        : loading symbolset nav
(C:\texmf\tex\context\base\symb-nav.tex
pdftex         : needs map file: original-context-symbol.map
pdftex         : needs map file: pl0-ams-cmr.map
pdftex         : needs map file: original-vogel-symbol.map
)
symbols        : loading symbolset mvs
(C:\texmf\tex\context\base\symb-mvs.tex
encoding       : coding default
))
bodyfont       : 12pt rm is loaded
language       : patterns 2:2-en-2 4:2-de-2 5:2-fr-2 6:2-es-2 7:2-it-2
8:2-nl-2
 loaded
specials       : tex,postscript,rokicki loaded
system         : map-test2.top loaded
(./map-test2.top
specials       : loading definition file tpd
(C:\texmf\tex\context\base\spec-tpd.tex
specials       : loading definition file fdf
(C:\texmf\tex\context\base\spec-fdf.tex <unprotect 3> <unprotect 4>
system (E-TEX) : [line 1783] \ifcsname
specials       : fdf loaded
<unprotect 3> <protect 3>)
specials       : fdf,tpd loaded
)
typescript     : [map] [all] []
(C:\texmf\tex\context\base\type-syn.tex)
(C:\texmf\tex\context\base\type-enc.tex)
(C:\texmf\tex\context\base\type-siz.tex)
(C:\texmf\tex\context\base\type-map.tex
pdftex         : needs map file: original-ams-cmr.map
pdftex         : needs map file: original-ams-euler.map
pdftex         : needs map file: il2-ams-cmr.map
pdftex         : needs map file: ec-adobe-utopia.map
pdftex         : needs map file: ec-bit-charter.map
pdftex         : needs map file: ec-public-antp.map
pdftex         : needs map file: ec-public-antt.map
pdftex         : needs map file: ec-urw-bookman.map
pdftex         : needs map file: ec-urw-courier.map
pdftex         : needs map file: ec-urw-helvetica.map
pdftex         : needs map file: ec-urw-palatino.map
pdftex         : needs map file: ec-urw-times.map
pdftex         : needs map file: ec-urw-zapfchan.map
pdftex         : needs map file: original-youngryu-px.map
pdftex         : needs map file: original-youngryu-tx.map
) (C:\texmf\tex\context\base\type-spe.tex)
(C:\texmf\tex\context\base\type-exa.tex) (./map-test2.tuo)
(./map-test2.tuo)
(./map-test2.tuo) (./map-test2.tuo) (./map-test2.tuo) (./map-test2.tuo)
(./map-test2.tuo) (./map-test2.tuo) (./map-test2.tuo) (./map-test2.tuo)
(./map-test2.tuo) (./map-test2.tuo) (./map-test2.tuo)
systems        : begin file map-test2 at line 6
Missing character: There is no å in font cmr12!
Missing character: There is no ä in font cmr12!
Missing character: There is no æ in font cmr12!
Missing character: There is no ö in font cmr12!
Missing character: There is no ø in font cmr12!
Missing character: There is no ð in font cmr12!
Missing character: There is no þ in font cmr12!
[1.1{psfonts.map}]
systems        : end file map-test2 at line 10
 )<cmr12.pfb>
Output written on map-test2.pdf (1 page, 4279 bytes).

only message in thread, other threads:[~2002-08-20 14:26 UTC | newest]