From: Mari Voipio <mari.voipio@iki.fi>
Subject: Re: Re: problems with embedded spaces in file paths (Win32)
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 23:09:41 +0300 (EET DST)	[thread overview]

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003, George White wrote:
> This is starting to look like too much work.  We are supposed to
> move from Win98 to WinXP "real soon now".  Are these problems also
> present for WinXP?  For myself, *n*x works, but some groups rely on
> Adobe Illustrator + Photoshop and understandably are reluctant to give
> up Win32.

I found out about this problem over a year ago and it was even discussed
on this list, but nobody came up with a really working fix. So my solution
in both my old WindowsNT and in my current Windows2000 (and my homeXP) has
been NOT to install TeXLive in Program Files. Instead I have installed
TeXLive directly under the root, i.e. I have a directory C:\TeXLive and
that works fine. On my old desktop at work with WindowsNT I actually had
TeXLive on the second partition for the while, i.e. at D:\TeXLive and even
that worked fine.

It does not seem to bother TeXLive ConTeXt that the .tex files are in a
path with couple of spaces (like c:\Documents and Settings\Mari\My
Documents\ConTeXt\test.tex) as long as TeXLive itself is installed
somewhere without spaces.

I know this is a workaround, but at least as long TeXLive is installed
individually (not from the network, it is an easy solution. Just change to
root directory in the beginning of the installation and everything else
will work out. I don't really have any other options than the workaround
or having somebody come up with a real fix, because the other users of
"my" computers would be majorly annoyed if I went *n*x...

Mari
(mix-and-match Windows user, although in the Emacs school)