From: "George N. White III" <aa056@chebucto.ns.ca>
Subject: Re: ConTeXt output & commercial printing houses: Thanks!
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 08:53:38 -0300	[thread overview]

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004, Brooks Moses wrote:

> At 11:15 PM 7/26/2004, you wrote:
>> On Sat, Jul 24, 2004 at 03:21:39PM -0500, Bill McClain wrote:
>>> - Also, I don't know whether it is possible to downsample images in
>>> PDF's that you generate from ConTeXt. If it is, avoid it.
>>
>> That raises an important question: if downsampling is done, is it
>> obvious what ConTeXt commands cause it to happen?
>
> There's, to my knowledge, no engine in pdfTeX for downsampling images; there
> certainly be one coded in ConTeXt.  Thus, I'd be fairly confident in
> guessing that it is indeed, fairly obvious, on grounds that there are no
> commands which do that.

As a general principle, it makes no sense for pdftex to provide image
manipulation capabilities.  Such capabilities are useful to a much wider
audience than the users of pdftex, so there are lots of tools to do
image resampling and format conversions.  All that pdftex should do is
support inclusion of pdf.  The limited support for including png images
is a convenience, but if you are being careful you would want to make
pdf images.

--
George N. White III  <aa056@chebucto.ns.ca>
   Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia, Canada