* Re: cannot generate cont-en format
@ 2007-06-24 23:30 In Hee Park
From: In Hee Park @ 2007-06-24 23:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks all, Taco, Mojca, and Hans!
I tried your suggestions and finally decided to install TeXLive with
ruby, which let me compile tex files and get pdf output. Thanks again!

_____________
In-Hee Park

[2007-06-24.Sun.10:03am] Mojca Miklavec wrote `Re: [NTG-context] cannot...'

  Also, be aware that the TeX distribution coming with your linux is
  ancient (most probably teTeX). pdfTeX version is very old and you
  might not be able to run the latest ConTeXt. SuSE distributes ConTeXt
  as well, although it's probably an old one.

  In any case you will have to update LModern fonts as well once you
  manage to do mktexlsr and build the formats.

  You might also experience problems with ruby vs. perl binaries.

  See
  http://wiki.contextgarden.net/TeTeX_3.0_installation#Install_a_Latin_Modern_font_update

  and pay extra attention to "ruby scripts". Installing TeXLive might be
  another option though.

  Mojca

@ 2007-06-24 17:06 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-06-24 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

In Hee Park wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am new to ConTeXt and really wish to shift to it from LaTeX.
>
> I was trying to install ConTeXt archive (cont-tmf.zip) on my
> SuSe-10.1 linux machine, first unzip it to my texmf directory,
> then add context.map to the pdftex.cfg file. Finally I got
> stuck into generating cont-en.fmt format file.
>
> =====
> suse:/usr/share/texmf# texexec --make en
>
>  TeXExec 5.4.3 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2005

that one is real old

>  TeX hash binary : mktexlsr
> comment : hashing may take a while ...
> mktexlsr: Updating /etc/texmf/ls-R...
> mktexlsr: Updating /usr/local/share/texmf/ls-R...
> mktexlsr: /usr/share/texmf/ls-R lacks magic
> string. Skipping...
> mktexlsr: Updating /var/cache/fonts/ls-R...
> mktexlsr: Updating /var/lib/texmf/ls-R...
> mktexlsr: Done.
> 	assuming engine : pdfetex
> This is pdfeTeX, Version
> 3.141592-1.21a-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.4) (INITEX)
> \write18 enabled.
> (/usr/share/texmf/web2c/natural.tcx)
> entering extended mode
> ! I can't find file `cont-en'.
> <*> *cont-en

can you try:

texmfstart texexec --make --all en

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2007-06-24  7:30 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2007-06-24  7:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

In Hee Park wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am new to ConTeXt and really wish to shift to it from LaTeX.
>
> I was trying to install ConTeXt archive (cont-tmf.zip) on my
> SuSe-10.1 linux machine, first unzip it to my texmf directory,
> then add context.map to the pdftex.cfg file. Finally I got
> stuck into generating cont-en.fmt format file.
>

> Could you help me on that issue? Thanks in advance.

You have to (re)run the "mktexlsr" command after unpacking the
zip archive. File searches in TeX normally uses a cache-ing
database instead of pounding the dis, and the "mktexlsr" command
updates that database.

I was going to point you to the wiki for more information, but
the information there is about OpenSuse, and will probably not
help you. Anyway, the link is:

   http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Linux_Installation

Best wishes,

Taco