From: Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu>
Subject: Re: Some $\mframed{math}$ questions
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 12:35:24 -0500 (EST)	[thread overview]

<--- On Dec 2, Mojca Miklavec wrote --->

> 1. What's the best way to frame a formula like here:
>
> \placeformula
> \startformula
> \mframed{x^2+y^2=z^2}
> \stopformula
>
> The problem is that:
> - formula number is shifted downwards in comparison to the formula
> without a number
> - I don't know how to do the settings (frame color, frame offset)
> globally. There's no \setupmframed[...] command. It's probably
> possible to use a sort of
> \setupframed[whatever_setting_influencing_only_mframed],
> but I don't know how.

Sorry, no idea on how to do this.

> 2. What's the general strategy when doing evel stuff with formula
> numbering? I would like to use \eqalign and then number formulas like
> on the following example:
>
> z^2=x^2+y^2    (1)
>   =(x'-x_0)^2+(y'-y_0)^2 % no number
>   =R^2\cos^2(\phi)    (2)

The following works.  I still find the amsmath way of doing this much
easier, but equation numbering has not been ported to amsl module

\starttext
\placeformula
\startformula
\eqalignno{
z^2 &=x^2+y^2  &\formulanumber\cr
     &=(x'-x_0)^2+(y'-y_0)^2 & \cr% no number
     &=R^2\cos^2(\phi) &\formulanumber\cr
}
\stopformula

\stoptext

> Can I somehow number the formulas (1), (2), (3.a), (3.b), (3.c), (4),
> (5.1), (5.2)? I would like to manually provide where to start and stop
> numbering with x.a or x.1, x.2.

Have a look at the wiki http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Math for the manual
way to number each subformula. I think one can define a
\start(stop)subformula[format = ??] to put a \place(sub)formula
automatically. But I do not know how to define such an environment
properly.

> 3. How can I put more than one equation in a row and number all of
> them (as if they were placed in three columns)?

One way to cheat can be to start a three column mode

\starttext

\startcolumns[n=3,tolerance=verytolerant]
\placeformula
\startformula
  E = mc^2
\stopformula
\column
\placeformula
\startformula
  E = mc^2
\stopformula
\column
\placeformula
\startformula
  E = mc^2
\stopformula
\stopcolumns
\stoptext

Again, one could define a start-stop environment for this.

> 4. How can I move the formula number one row lower in case that the
> formula is too long and if it would overlap with the formula number
> otherwise?

Not sure what you mean here. Context (rather tex, I think) does this by
default

\starttext

\placeformula
\startformula
a = bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb ddddddddddddddddddddddddddd ccccccccccc
eeeeeeeeeeeeee fffffffffffffffff ggggggggggggggggggg
\stopformula
\stoptext

HTH,
Aditya