From: Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu>
Subject: Re: math align
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 22:31:13 -0500 (EST)	[thread overview]

<--- On Jan 15, Hans Hagen wrote --->

> Hi,
>
> Here a first attempts for a flexible alignment mechanism (i depend on taco
> for the fine points of math typesetting since he's typeset \infty more
> complex formulas than i have)
>
> (n=n_of_columns, m=n_of_pairs, so both requested multiple column features are
> supported)

Thanks a lot. I tested it with the little context math documents that
I have and it works as expected. There is a minor bug. I thought that
& ... \\ and \NC .. \NC .. \NR were equivalent, with the latter giving
more configurability with respect to equation numbering and all.
However, with multiple columns, \NC ... \NC does not work as expected.
Consider

\usemodule[math-ext]

\starttext

Three columns work correctly if I use \&
\startbuffer
\startformula \startalign[n=3]
   a &= b &= c \\
   d &= e &= f
\stopalign \stopformula
\stopbuffer

\typebuffer \getbuffer

But they do not work if I use \type{\NC}

\startbuffer
\startformula \startalign[n=3]
   \NC a \NC= b \NC= c \NR
   \NC d \NC= e \NC= f \NR
\stopalign \stopformula
\stopbuffer

\typebuffer \getbuffer

\stoptext

This takes care of most of the alignment and equation numbering in
Context. With this, one should also be able to define \startstop split
such that

\placeformula \startformula \startsplit
  a &= b \\
    &= c
\stopsplit \stopformula

comes out as

  a &= b

But, my attempts to define such a startstop did not work. Can you
suggest something?

Thanks,
Aditya

--
Aditya Mahajan, EECS Systems, University of Michigan
http://www.eecs.umich.edu/~adityam || Ph: 7342624008