* Using Ralph Smith's Formal Script font
@ 2006-01-28  7:03 Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2006-01-28  7:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

How do I use Ralph Smith's formal script font [1] within context. I
want to define a command like \mathrsfs{A} that will use A in this
font.

[1] http://www.ctan.org/info?id=rsfs

Thanks
Aditya

--
Aditya Mahajan, EECS Systems, University of Michigan
http://www.eecs.umich.edu/~adityam || Ph: 7342624008

* Re: Using Ralph Smith's Formal Script font
@ 2006-01-28 16:49 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2006-01-28 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 1/28/06, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> How do I use Ralph Smith's formal script font [1] within context. I
> want to define a command like \mathrsfs{A} that will use A in this
> font.

There might be a cleaner way, but here's an example that works here
(switches to rsfs outside math mode):

\def\mathrsfs#1{\text{\definedfont[RalfSmithFormalScript]#1}}
$\mathrsfs{A}$

(You can use "\definedfont[rsfs10] A" outside math mode.)

Mojca

* Re: Using Ralph Smith's Formal Script font
@ 2006-01-30 11:44 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-01-30 11:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> How do I use Ralph Smith's formal script font [1] within context. I
> want to define a command like \mathrsfs{A} that will use A in this
> font.

one can make symbols (see symb-*.tex), which is probably the best way to go here; otherwise peek into math-*.tex files to see how math symbols can be defined. (the tricky part is that normally math script fonts have more chars so overloading one by a RS fotn may give problems)

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2006-06-05 20:55   ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2006-06-05 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006, Hans Hagen wrote:

> Aditya Mahajan wrote:
>> How do I use Ralph Smith's formal script font [1] within context. I
>> want to define a command like \mathrsfs{A} that will use A in this
>> font.
>>
> one can make symbols (see symb-*.tex), which is probably the best
> way to go here; otherwise peek into math-*.tex files to see how math
> symbols can be defined. (the tricky part is that normally math
> script fonts have more chars so overloading one by a RS fotn may
> give problems)

This is an old mail. I could not figure out how to do this properly in
CONTEXT. The closest that I managed was using scrload.tex from rsfs
bundle, which uses

%%------- scrload.tex----------------------------
\font\tenscr=rsfs10 % scaled \magstep1
\font\sevenscr=rsfs7 % scaled \magstep1
\font\fivescr=rsfs5 % scaled \magstep1
\skewchar\tenscr='177 \skewchar\sevenscr='177 \skewchar\fivescr='177
\newfam\scrfam \textfont\scrfam=\tenscr \scriptfont\scrfam=\sevenscr
\scriptscriptfont\scrfam=\fivescr
\def\scr{\fam\scrfam}
%% ------------------------------------------

using this definition I get a command \scr which is same as \cal but
uses ralph smith formal script font. The trouble is that the fonts are
not scaled to document font size.

Mojca's suggestion of using
\def\mathrsfs#1{\text{\definedfont[RalfSmithFormalScript]#1}}

and using $\mathrsfs{A}$ works, but does not give correct spacing for
superscipts. Compare $\mathrsfs{A}^T$ with ${\scr A}^T.

What is the context way of doing the same as scrload.tex. Looking at
math-*.tex and font-ini.tex, I tried

%-----------------------------------
\def\scr{\mathortext{\fam\purefamily{ralphscript}}{\symbolicfont{RalphScript}}}

\definefontsynonym [RalphScript][Serif]

\def\ralphscript#1{\mathortext\domathtext\donothing{\scr #1}}

\definefamilysynonym [default] [ralphscript] [rsfs]
%------------------------------------------------

I do not understand this, and no wonder this does not work. What am I
missing.

Aditya

* Re: Using Ralph Smith's Formal Script font
@ 2006-06-06  9:54     ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2006-06-06  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Aditya,

Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Jan 2006, Hans Hagen wrote:
>

>>Aditya Mahajan wrote:
>>
>>>How do I use Ralph Smith's formal script font [1] within context. I
>>>want to define a command like \mathrsfs{A} that will use A in this
>>>font.

I am only replying to let you know that I've seen this message,
but cannot help you out, sorry.

Taco

* Re: Using Ralph Smith's Formal Script font
@ 2006-06-06 13:45       ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2006-06-06 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 6 Jun 2006, Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> Hi Aditya,
>
> Aditya Mahajan wrote:

> I am only replying to let you know that I've seen this message,
> but cannot help you out, sorry.

Thank you. I will play around with magstep to get the scaling right to
the document font size.

Aditya

* Re: Using Ralph Smith's Formal Script font
@ 2006-06-06 14:56     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-06-06 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Aditya Mahajan wrote:

.... bla bla ... does not work ... bla bla -)

since it's an italic script, maybe adding an italic correction in the
definition  is enough:

@ 2006-06-06 15:15       ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2006-06-06 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 6 Jun 2006, Hans Hagen wrote:

> Aditya Mahajan wrote:
>
> .... bla bla ... does not work ... bla bla -)
>
> since it's an italic script, maybe adding an italic correction in the
> definition  is enough:
>
> \def\mathrsfs#1{\text{\definedfont[RalfSmithFormalScript]#1\/}}
>
> and using $\mathrsfs{A}$ works, but does not give correct spacing for
> superscipts. Compare $\mathrsfs{A}^T$

Thanks, this works perfectly.

Now, I need to worry about getting dsfont working :)

Aditya